Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 26, 2024, 12:36:03 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  Version 1.4 is released! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Version 1.4 is released!  (Read 56410 times)
Structuralist
Noobie

I love YaBB SE!

Re:Version 1.4 is released!
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2002, 05:18:49 PM »

Can you tell me if you fixed the YaBBC E-Mail Tag?

Also, Vory has spent a great deal of time creating the collapsable categories. Do you know if this mod is compatible with 1.4 (assuming the mod is installed manually)?

Thanks for all the good work  ::)
Silver Dragon

Uh, Dragons are cool.

ICQ - 1972247webmaster@alphavideo.com WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2002, 06:52:14 PM »

Not to open a can of worms, but what can we expect in SE 2.0?  Or is there a thread on this already?

-D

Nemesis
What's an Admin?
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2002, 04:03:48 AM »

Quote from: Structuralist on June 05, 2002, 05:18:49 PMCan you tell me if you fixed the YaBBC E-Mail Tag?

I don't think we even touched this. We would have to redo some files and beta test which would of cost us another week or so of delays. So we left it as is. As we feel it real isn't a bug, more of a want...

Want to say thanks?
DONATE or check out my WishList
Structuralist
Noobie

I love YaBB SE!

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2002, 04:25:56 AM »

Nemesis wrote:
QuoteSo we left it as is. As we feel it real isn't a bug, more of a want...

Sorry Nemesis, but if it isn't a bug, why incorporate the tag into the editor if simply typing the e-mail address will accomplish th same thing - or am I missing something? ???
teksys
Noobie

PHP C0der!

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2002, 05:08:23 AM »

*yay*  ;D ;D ;D

I'm a new mod-developer, got my own yabb forum aswell: http://teksys.joshie.com/forum/index.php
Nemesis
What's an Admin?
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2002, 06:04:27 AM »

some peeps like those ubbc tags... like me! It was orignally part of yabb perl and ported over. Nothing has changed.

I still use that the ubbc tags even thou I know autolink works. It just been like that forever now. Used to it.

Maybe one of us can code it when we have time. Or maybe SE2 may fix it.  ;)

Want to say thanks?
DONATE or check out my WishList
Structuralist
Noobie

I love YaBB SE!

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2002, 09:05:35 AM »

Nemesis:
QuoteI still use that the ubbc tags even thou I know autolink works. It just been like that forever now. Used to it.

Nemesis, I'm a novice and confused by your comments. Are you saying that autolinks work if they are translated correctly into SE? Or are you saying that we can still use UBBC tags to create an autolink (concealed hyperlink?)?

If we can use UBBC tags, how do we do it - can you give me an example showing how to create an email tag so that I can conceal the address below a Click Here![/u][/color] link?

Thanks
Hypocrite
YaBB God

For To End Yet Again

dimmuh@gmx.net WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2002, 09:43:38 AM »

Quote from: Structuralist on June 06, 2002, 09:05:35 AMNemesis:
QuoteI still use that the ubbc tags even thou I know autolink works. It just been like that forever now. Used to it.

Nemesis, I'm a novice and confused by your comments. Are you saying that autolinks work if they are translated correctly into SE? Or are you saying that we can still use UBBC tags to create an autolink (concealed hyperlink?)?

If we can use UBBC tags, how do we do it - can you give me an example showing how to create an email tag so that I can conceal the address below a Click Here![/u][/color] link?

Thanks

I think Nemesis is saying that even though you can now just type the URL or E-mail address and it should link correctly he still uses the // tags. I don't think its possible at the moment to conceal your e-mail address like that.
Imago
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2002, 03:22:00 PM »

I'd like to convert my pl YaBB to the YaBB 1.4. Since the old forum is in Russian, should I have to tranlate the whole thing again?

Oups! Even being a llama, I couldn't help noticing the bug - after you click on Submit you are transported to the forum's main page.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2002, 03:26:03 PM by Imago » Logged
Ben_S
Disciple of Joe
Support Team
YaBB God

I Love YaBB SE!

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2002, 03:44:41 PM »

Quote from: Imago on June 06, 2002, 03:22:00 PMI'd like to convert my pl YaBB to the YaBB 1.4. Since the old forum is in Russian, should I have to tranlate the whole thing again?

Doesnt look like theres a rushian language pack yet so you would have to translate it... You could always translate it and then submit the pack to the yabb people for others to use though and help the community :)

QuoteOups! Even being a llama, I couldn't help noticing the bug - after you click on Submit you are transported to the forum's main page.

Not a bug, its by design, though theres a mod to change it...
Brad

Promoter of YaBB

ICQ - 83017998 WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2002, 03:52:09 PM »

Have the bugs been fixed in 1.4 now?  I tried upgrading from 1.3 but I was getting errors.  Have these problems been resolved?

Structuralist
Noobie

I love YaBB SE!

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2002, 04:51:31 PM »

Hypocrite wrote:
QuoteI think Nemesis is saying that even though you can now just type the URL or E-mail address and it should link correctly he still uses the // tags. I don't think its possible at the moment to conceal your e-mail address like that.

Hypocrite (love the name  :D ) and Nemesis:

First, let me preface by saying that I am emensly greatful for all of the work that you and those who are part of the development team have done and continue to do. I don't want this thread of messages to sound like I am ungreatful or demanding. My comments are a mixture of constructive criticism and a bit of disappointment because I liked the way I had set up YaBB Gold with mods and can not use them on my webhost who has banned flat file BBS software (Aletia Hosting).

With that said, the email tag itself has become redundant. The user expects it to do the same thing as it did in YaBB Gold. It is not needed since the software already interprets an e-mail address and it will not conceal the address below a hyperlink as the [ url] link will do. So why not remove it until it is useful? If anything, it would give the color tag more space  ::)

My users are most important to me and I searched long and hard for a software that would provide everything YaBB Gold provided. While my board does not make money and is set up as a public service (the ads on my site are offered free to those developers of structural engineering software because the developers -owners- are long time friends of mine). I like many, if not most, of the YaBB users are paying for their boards because they have something of interest to them to offer others.

YaBB, regardless of price, is the best software that I had found. I was using UltraBoard before and did not like the support or their user's forum. YaBB blows them all away and if it does go up for sale- I'll be in  line to buy it even if it means giving something else up.

However, my point is that I don't want to confuse my registered users and make their experiences as novices on a BBS forum more difficult than it is. YaBB and most of the other softwares has strived to make the software as friendly as possible, but when it does not do what it professes to do, it first confuses the user who thinks it is their fault and they waste time trying to make it work.

This frustrates them. The E-mail tag frustrates them as would any tag that they don't understand. However, some tags they typically stay away from.

Personally, I don't understand how to use the Table tags and I have not found help from either the Gold or the SE that will adequately explain this.

In Gold (and it works with SE) I happened upon the fact that you can use multiple levels in the Insert List tag and you don't have to use bullets
  • but still can gt the indents. One YaBB forum locked my explanation and placed it at the top of the forum - I was very happy.

Bottom Line - I think (my opinion only) that you should remove the e-mail tag until you can make it work as it did in YaBB Gold. Do the same for any feature that does not work until you have corrected it.

I hope you take my comments in the spirit that I meant it - as constructive criticism and not as simply whining about something trivial.

Thanks again for providing this great software - after my exhaustive search I found the one software that I would love to see evolve into a board that represents the needs of the users as well as the creativity of the developers.

Dennis
(aka) The Structuralist
Jenni

I'm a llama!

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2002, 04:59:05 PM »

When will the new boardindex be ready?
Hypocrite
YaBB God

For To End Yet Again

dimmuh@gmx.net WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2002, 05:31:40 PM »

Quote from: Structuralist on June 06, 2002, 04:51:31 PMWith that said, the email tag itself has become redundant. The user expects it to do the same thing as it did in YaBB Gold. It is not needed since the software already interprets an e-mail address and it will not conceal the address below a hyperlink as the [ url] link will do. So why not remove it until it is useful? If anything, it would give the color tag more space  ::)

Dennis
(aka) The Structuralist

I did try to suggest the e-mail conceal tag to the development but at that time the beta testing of 1.4.0 was so time taking that we just didn't have time to implement more features. I think the devs might consider it for the next release at least.

As for the URL tag I think that you can't compare an URL link to an E-mail link. If the URL/E-mail address is conceiled behind a "click here" you can still see the address by just clicking it. It really doesn't conceal anything. I think it's more important for URL tags because the URLs can be very long compared to e-mail addreses. It's easier to write a link which says "click here" opposited to a link which says http://www.mygoodwhatahelluvalong.com/and/it/has/3855/folders/download.html
E-mail addresses tend to be shorter so it's not really a bother to write them as normal links.

Those things said I also would like to see the click here possibility for e-mail address but you can't have everything immediately :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2002, 05:58:16 PM by Hypocrite » Logged
Jedi~
Eric
Beta Tester
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2002, 05:46:25 PM »

Quote bug maybe?

Ermm... what happened to download.php?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  Version 1.4 is released! « previous - next »