Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 19, 2024, 09:10:21 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  PHP Portals... will it.... « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: PHP Portals... will it....  (Read 165204 times)
Razgo

Dance with the Beat

ICQ - 144284881 WWW
Re:PHP Portals... will it....
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2001, 10:01:18 PM »

well that may be true about rogue being stable. as sometimes alpha programmes are stable. but the fact remains alpha also means many changes may or may not occcur.

Don't get me wrong I would prefer to be using the rogue edition also. However I am not the one who will be writing the code.

It's always better to work with a programme who's structure won't be changing in order to be able to upgrade to the next stable structure that is frozen/won't be changing also.

I can only imagine the amount of man hours that is put into sifting through code and intergrating it into another programme to make it work. it would be a shame to spend all that time and then you find out the alpha version had a huge structure change and you have to do it all over again.

However I can ask over at postnuke to see what changes are likely to occur, but i'm not sure I will get a definate answer, as apha is alpha.

Grunt
Noobie

I love YaBB SE!

ICQ - 4048589 WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2001, 04:30:03 AM »

Hi all. Glad I found this discussion.

I read and follow the developers mailing list for postnuke. If you are going to go forward with this integration, then by all means you should use the rogue series as a basis. Granted at this point it still has more bugs than .64.

BUT, the user system and permissions are so drastically different and new that it would double the effort if you start out with .64.

I admin though, this really has got me excited. Some of my sites currently use vbulletin and YabbSE looks like an equal competitor. I may switch over my postnuke sites to Yabb if this comes to fruitition. Plus you would gain a ton of new users and exposure :)
andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2001, 01:52:56 PM »

Quote from: Grunt on December 30, 2001, 04:30:03 AM... by all means you should use the rogue series as a basis. Granted at this point it still has more bugs than .64.

BUT, the user system and permissions are so drastically different and new that it would double the effort if you start out with .64.
Agree completely with that. A lot wiser to start with rogue than with 64. Until the integration is programmed, rogue will be stable.

I'm sorry do not have the time to participate in the development process, but I can make a test website and beta test the programs for you guys.  :)

Rcori
Noobie

Ain't YaBBSE Great!

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2002, 08:28:06 AM »

It is now Officially a topic at PostNuke.

http://mods.postnuke.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=487&mode=thread&order=0

I would suggest anyone interested post a reply in the comments to let them know there is interest for this.
I have been playing with postnuke for about a week now and an total intergration with yabb would be incrediable.
Rcori

What's in a name?
Apakuni
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2002, 04:55:26 PM »

I would love to see YaBB modularized for PostNuke.  

I really like PostNuke over PHPNuke.  The install is easier and the support/dev community is extremely active and professional.  

Regards

Apakuni

PS: Tried to Register but kept getting this error ...

2: Empty delimiter
(/home/httpd/html/yabbinfo/www/community/Sources/Register.php ln 173)
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2002, 05:01:08 PM »

Quote from: Apakuni on January 02, 2002, 04:55:26 PMPS: Tried to Register but kept getting this error ...

What username were you trying to register?

Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2002, 05:08:54 PM »

oh yeah - that was me fixing a bug.   Fixed.

Totally
Noobie

I love YaBB SE!

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2002, 12:14:21 AM »

I posted this on the PostNuke Modules site just after Christmas, but I didn't get much response :'(

But now, there is so much more people interested in it, I assure that PostNuke is better than PHP-Nuke. The developers of PostNuke are bringing releases quite commonly. While using PostNuke for the time I have been, I have found no bugs, except in a theme that was only meant for PostNuke 0.64.

And If you do take the PostNuke step, I agree with what people have been saying previously that Rogue is such a better choice. Now that the Admins and users are together, it is so much easier for beginners at my site who are helping to log in. When I was using PHP-Nuke, my Sub Admins were confused while they had to log in twice, once for Admin and once for comments etc and then register again after that to use YaBB, because it wasn't integrated.

PostNuke Rogue is a great choice to modularize YaBB SE with.... so please! please! Choose PostNuke .7x!!!  ;D
Razgo

Dance with the Beat

ICQ - 144284881 WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2002, 12:32:06 AM »

I have mentioned the Idea of using the rogue release as opposed to 0.6.4 for the PN YaBBSE intergration. but haven't heard back from him yet. I think he is still celebrating or getting over Xmas  ;D

I know he is keen on doing the intergration so I expect to hear from him soon. as we are all chomping at the bit on this one  ;D

but I guess there will be others doing it also, although I haven't seen anyone announcing it yet.

Grunt
Noobie

I love YaBB SE!

ICQ - 4048589 WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2002, 01:19:54 AM »

*bump*

Just had to get this up top again... this is really important to me :)
alienine
Forum Screwball
YaBB God

*GRIN*

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2002, 09:21:37 AM »

Well I'm willing to help if anyone will undertake the task.

As mentioned before there might be a problem with the way both databases are structured. The fact is you need to somehow share the data between those two.

The only problem is that if yabb was to become a module IT not PostNuke would have to be modfied.

So, I'm thinking that modfiying YaBB is the way to go, or better still creating man-in-the-middle script that would allow for interaction between both but I believe that would take a lot of time and would be ineffcient.

So what I'm going to try to do tonight or maybe leter depending on the time is do something drastic. I will remove all calls to the yabb member database from the script and replace them with the ones from postnuke. I will try as hard as I can to keep the thing as unchanged as possible, most probably adding an option in the config file that would either make yabb a PostNuke module or not. Though I don't see a way of making it a module and not leaving out standalone option.. Thus it would have to be added to a menu automatically and would not work through the modules.php file...

I'm not sure if this will work at all. But all there is really needed is not a module, but a yabb se that works with postnuke together.

I hope this won't raise anyone's hopes as I am busy working on something this week.

[/url]
Alan Cramer

***Insert Evil Cackle Here***

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2002, 10:01:39 AM »

Well this is going to be a haunting task.  And with YaBB SE already being used by loads of people, changing things like already established MySQL queries, would stuff a whole lot of people around.  Unless there is a way to make a script which would rename or change the tables automatically.

Jeff will need to really answer if this can go ahead or not.  I am not one for decisions like this one.

Alan Cramer - Nextux - [email protected]

If you want my MSN, YIM, ICQ, AIM details, please IM me for them.  If you just want support, please use these forums, as that is what they are here for!
chris
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2002, 10:08:56 AM »

Quote from: alienine on January 17, 2002, 09:21:37 AMSo, I'm thinking that modfiying YaBB is the way to go, or better still creating man-in-the-middle script that would allow for interaction between both but I believe that would take a lot of time and would be ineffcient.

Hmmm... somewhere I've read about some kind of abstraction layer between *nuke and other systems... i'm going to search the article... but as far as i can remember, the article i've seen was written in german... so i don't know if it helps you...
alienine
Forum Screwball
YaBB God

*GRIN*

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2002, 09:21:05 AM »

From what I know YaBB SE doesn't have that littlelo thing they call the adstraction layer... plain old MYSQL queries everywhere... PostNuke I think uses something like that..., but I know for sure if YaBB implemented something like this it would make it much easier...

I tried converting all the queries and stuff, and it is possible.. It would take some time but it's not the problem (all i had to do is make each one an if statement for whenever the members database was mentioned and if nuke was installed it would use the nuke database, which would also need to be modified since it doens't have stuff like memberGroup)

The problem lies in making both work together... since both use different directories new cookie system would need to be implemented for both. Not only that some functions like is_admin are shared with both scripts so they would have to be modified. Further all traces of YaBB login scripts and profile scripts would have to be erased...

Making yabb a mod involves tooo much editing... way too much.

I don't know about others but I guess i will have to settle for an old compatible version of phpBB... since they wirtually have the same database structure... :(

[/url]
David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2002, 04:50:35 AM »

Well this thread is now 4 pages shorter.

I am interested in making a XOOPS module for this so I can use this instead of the hacked version of phpBB 1.4 that comes with it.  It doesn't look that hard to do, mostly removing all the authentication code and changing database queries.  Are others interested in helping?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  PHP Portals... will it.... « previous - next »