Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 27, 2024, 01:03:32 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  Platforms « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Platforms  (Read 4070 times)
Mr. Mik
Noobie

There is no fate.

Platforms
« on: December 09, 2001, 06:22:09 PM »

What platforms will YaBB SE work on?

Democratic Marxist Philosopher
Zef Hemel
Advisor
YaBB God

Me too

ICQ - 61109769 WWW
Re:Platforms
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2001, 06:23:08 PM »

All platforms that support PHP, so Windows and UNIX derivatives (and so Linux)

Agelmar
YaBB God

Takako Matsu = Goddess

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2001, 06:27:05 PM »

Rather, all platforms that support PHP and MySQL (although Jeff is going to send me a copy of YaBBSE for Microsoft SQL server, dunno if it's going to work yet.) MySQL installs rather easily on Windows if you follow the directions.... Installation on *nix is a bit tricker, but not really...

Dave Smulders
YaBB SE Developer
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2001, 09:03:58 AM »

Microsoft SQL?

You could make a really fast board on that you know ;)

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2001, 03:09:04 PM »

Yes so we'll test on MSSQL and PostgreSQL...

Agelmar
YaBB God

Takako Matsu = Goddess

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2001, 08:03:00 PM »

Quote from: Dave Smulders on December 15, 2001, 09:03:58 AMMicrosoft SQL?

You could make a really fast board on that you know ;)

I'm going to be doing the testing on MS SQL, but to be honest, I really don't think the speed differences will be that great between MS SQL and MySQL... no really advanced SQL queries are used, just the basics... I'm currently running Beta Release 14 of YaBBSE on a Windows 2000 Server with IIS5 and PHP 4.1.0 (latest release) with MySQL 3.23.46-nt (latest release). It works absolutely fine, like a breeze. Install of MySQL was quick and painless (a lot less so than MS SQL Server 7 and SP3...)

Dave Smulders
YaBB SE Developer
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2001, 02:22:17 AM »

Quote from: Agelmar on December 15, 2001, 08:03:00 PMI'm going to be doing the testing on MS SQL, but to be honest, I really don't think the speed differences will be that great between MS SQL and MySQL... no really advanced SQL queries are used, just the basics... I'm currently running Beta Release 14 of YaBBSE on a Windows 2000 Server with IIS5 and PHP 4.1.0 (latest release) with MySQL 3.23.46-nt (latest release). It works absolutely fine, like a breeze. Install of MySQL was quick and painless (a lot less so than MS SQL Server 7 and SP3...)

Well, making it fast would certainly need a lot of rewriting the code (here we go again), but using datashaping providers (much like odbc), you can retrieve the relational tables as objects in a hierarchic structure (like a directory structure). That combination makes it possible to write one query, and retrieve all information in one go for the whole screen.

With the speed Microsoft SQL will retrieve that data, immense speeds can be achieved.

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  Platforms « previous - next »