Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
June 03, 2024, 01:24:58 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  help me :) YaBBSE or YaBB « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: help me :) YaBBSE or YaBB  (Read 1486 times)
big sister2
Noobie

I'm a llama!

help me :) YaBBSE or YaBB
« on: April 04, 2002, 12:31:27 AM »

What should I use?
YaBB or YaBBSE, and give me your honest opinion :)

My personal opinion, they're both practicly the same, but what makes this version better?
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

Re:help me :) YaBBSE or YaBB
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 12:46:05 AM »

If you want sheer functionality on the first install - YaBB SE is the way to go.  It has a larger number of features and mods pre-installed.

Regular YaBB does, however have a larger number of mods - so you can get a higher level of customizability with the perl version.

Some people will tell you PHP and mysql are faster than Perl and flat-text - and this is true in most situations.  At worst, they'll be the same speed.

the mysql and php version does, however, put a lower load on the server (as it isn't inunndating the server with request to open, close, read and write to files) and because it doesn't use files, it has less of a chance of losing data.

You do, however, have a better chance of getting the Perl one running because perl is perl - with php, there are so many different server configurations there is a chance you'll encounter difficulties when installing.

Hmm...the only other thing I can think of is we're cooler ;)

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2002, 01:01:40 AM »

Quote from: Joseph Fung on April 04, 2002, 12:46:05 AMHmm...the only other thing I can think of is we're cooler ;)

Can I get an amen from the congregation? ;)

Jedi~
Eric
Beta Tester
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2002, 02:38:08 AM »

I like this version better for a couple reasons (and I haven't even got it working yet.)

• It's faster
  • I know PHP, therefore I can (and plan to) mod this board
  • I can be there when the boardmod starts for this version of YaBB

One thing I don't like... is the support. I find it odd when Devs are on from when I posted it until 4 hours later, and I, along with quite a few other people haven't gotten a response, as soon as I can get it up and running I'll be fine. But until then..  :-\
groundup
Disciple of Joe, Head Cleric
Mod Team
YaBB God

Error 309: Please notify the administrator of this

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2002, 08:01:13 AM »

amen actually, a woman would be nice :).  I think if you had one of those sexy lil digital ladies like yabbforum used to have then i think we would get a lot more people LOL ;)

http://www.fastfinancialfreedom.org - financial freedom is a myth
fastfinancialfreedom.org
alexrolko
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2002, 12:56:49 PM »

Quote from: groundup on April 04, 2002, 08:01:13 AMamen actually, a woman would be nice :).  I think if you had one of those sexy lil digital ladies like yabbforum used to have then i think we would get a lot more people LOL ;)

::)

well do you want a hot digital chick? erm more likely a complete ACSII chick? lol ICQ'ed you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2002, 01:12:03 PM by Alex Rolko » Logged
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2002, 02:09:41 PM »

Quote from: Anonymous Jedi on April 04, 2002, 02:38:08 AMOne thing I don't like... is the support. I find it odd when Devs are on from when I posted it until 4 hours later, and I, along with quite a few other people haven't gotten a response, as soon as I can get it up and running I'll be fine. But until then..  

Yes but we've helped many people.  Just because YOU posted doesn't mean we're going to flock to the post.  We just released 1.3, we were working on getting out a bug fix package, give us a break.

The top three posters have combined over 9000 posts, and it's not that high from NOT helping people  ::)

Jedi~
Eric
Beta Tester
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2002, 04:21:29 PM »

Jeff, I'm sorry, please view my apology over in my installation problem thread. I was in a bad mood and apologize. I realize all that, now, but the bad mood clouded my judgement.
Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

The shrub demands war. I don't. The world doesn't.

ICQ - 69234983clickopedia@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2002, 05:45:29 AM »

hey hey hey - theres a couple of us keepign the coolness at the originals... jedi, we're a pretty cool bunch at boardmod arent we? ;)

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2002, 01:49:29 PM »

Hey - didn't mean to imply that we're cooler here than at Boardmod. It's not that we're much better, it's just that we're less worse.  ;)

Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2002, 11:45:08 PM »

nah, we're less worse ;) :P

* Omario loves boardmod, dreams bout boardmod, ad is obsessed with boardmod ;)

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2002, 01:12:39 AM »

Omario needs to get out and meet some people ;)

Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2002, 01:21:49 AM »

got that right - bout 100 online friends andonly 50ish real ones ;)

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  help me :) YaBBSE or YaBB « previous - next »