Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:44 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  FAQ  |  What is the Karma mod? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: What is the Karma mod?  (Read 89300 times)
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

What is the Karma mod?
« on: January 04, 2002, 07:20:43 PM »

Karma is a kind of popularity thing.  It's purely for fun, and it offers no kind of functionality/limitations.

The idea behind karma is that people can smite or applaud a user, affecting their karma by +1 or -1.  This results in users having a kind of score, which reflects what people on the baord think of them.

There are several ways to manipulate the karma mod.

1) You can set it up so only a certain membergroup can use it.  This is usefull for points systems.  You can restrict the use to the Administrator membergroup and use Karma to dole out points to users.

2) You can set a wait time.  The wait time effects how often people can repeat an option.  Setting it larger means you can't affect someone's score as much as you could if the time was less.  While you aren't allowed to repeat an action (smite vs. applaud) within the wait time - you can change your mind at any time.

3) You can restrict it so that only people with a certain number of posts can smite or applaud - this will prevent people from registering just to smite or applaud.

4) And you can show either the net karma or the +/- numbers.  This is interesting, as a user with only 50 posts, but +70/-72 is obviously much more controversial than someone who's posted hundreds of times, but has only a +/- of +5/-7

Possible mods could include changing someone's position to reflect their karma, rather than the number of posts they have.  Or restricting certain access to people with a karma of a certain level (imagine a category where only people with a karma of 10 or higher could view it).

add_effect

heh heh

Re:What is the Karma mod?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2002, 06:04:31 AM »

what else can we do ? that's all?

:: Innocence and Experience ::
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2002, 12:25:56 PM »

Well if you unlock the hidden codes, it will make toast and tea in the morning for you, get you dressed, and beam you to work  ::)

It's a karma mod, activate it or don't :)

ShadowKnight

I am a Shadow Knight!

ICQ - 144683652andy@andynetworkaw.com WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2002, 09:43:21 AM »

lol...

Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

The shrub demands war. I don't. The world doesn't.

ICQ - 69234983clickopedia@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2002, 02:02:19 AM »

i always thought karma would be a bit too intellectual of a name for those dumb challenged ;) Americans..

* omario just realises he might be calsses as an American  :-X

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
Wistman

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2002, 04:51:03 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on January 09, 2002, 12:25:56 PMWell if you unlock the hidden codes, it will make toast and tea in the morning for you, get you dressed, and beam you to work  ::)

It's a karma mod, activate it or don't :)

awww.......... I thought I found the hidden codes but it don't do any of that, I just get a different girl in my bed every night.......

Must of been the karma sutra code!!!!!!!!!
Decaffeinated Jedi
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2002, 06:21:39 PM »

I'm very interested in this mod. I have it installed on my forum, but I can't actually figure out *how* to applaud or smite someone. Is it done using an [applaud] tag or something else? Thanks, and best wishes!

DecafJedi
Zippo

Looking for work as male model

ICQ - 85740283ferrari_drive75@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2002, 06:30:40 PM »

Just click the [applaud] or [smite]  where you see it under the members name, you will see the +1 or -1 respectivly after a refresh :)
Decaffeinated Jedi
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2002, 10:04:37 PM »

Quote from: Zippo on April 14, 2002, 06:30:40 PMJust click the [applaud] or [smite]  where you see it under the members name, you will see the +1 or -1 respectivly after a refresh :)
Thanks! I've installed the mod, and I have a "Karma" field under the username and so forth, but I don't see anything for the smite/applaud function. Is there any reason that it wouldn't appear?

Thanks!

DecafJedi
Zippo

Looking for work as male model

ICQ - 85740283ferrari_drive75@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2002, 10:39:54 PM »

This should really be asked in YaBBSE Admin section really but in there are two fields in your mod preferences under karma.  You can type what you would like then to say instead of applaud and smite as I am assuming those fields are empty?  If so just add them.
Decaffeinated Jedi
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2002, 12:38:53 AM »

Quote from: Zippo on April 14, 2002, 10:39:54 PMThis should really be asked in YaBBSE Admin section really but in there are two fields in your mod preferences under karma.  You can type what you would like then to say instead of applaud and smite as I am assuming those fields are empty?  If so just add them.
Sorry for continuing this in the wrong place, but at this point, it seemed like the best idea.

Anyway, the [applaud] and [smite] tags are there in the setup, but they're still not showing up in the threads. I have Karma enabled and all the other settings appear to be in good shape. Any guesses?

Thanks for all your help, and best wishes!

DecafJedi
talon39

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2002, 11:51:50 PM »

Is there a way to set it up so People with certain amount of karma become moderators, but lose the moderator status when their karma goes down?
Chris Cromer
The Strange One
Mod Team
YaBB God

I am just a figment of your imagination.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2002, 12:04:06 AM »

Please don't cross post!

I have answered your question in your other thread!

Chris Cromer

I am not suffering from insanity, I am enjoying every minute of it.
talon39

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2002, 12:34:07 AM »

sorry I wasn't sure which was the apropriate place to post it.
Chris Cromer
The Strange One
Mod Team
YaBB God

I am just a figment of your imagination.

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2002, 12:37:23 AM »

That's okay, but only post about something once.

Chris Cromer

I am not suffering from insanity, I am enjoying every minute of it.
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  FAQ  |  What is the Karma mod? « previous - next »