Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
June 16, 2024, 07:09:55 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Scared to use Advanced Smilies... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Scared to use Advanced Smilies...  (Read 3482 times)
Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
Re:Scared to use Advanced Smilies...
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2001, 07:39:31 PM »

the new package manager had no problems with it...

did you upload nbew Packages.php and PackageGet.php

Patty

Drat. I caught Darth Llama.

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2001, 07:42:52 PM »

I think I might have only clicked on the first "packages." There were three options -- one was a zip file. I couldn't figure out what to do with them, to be honest (apart from clicking on them), and didn't see any instructional thread. I apparently I missed some  key information somewhere  ::)
Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2001, 08:03:07 PM »

well, you have to manually install the new Package Manager, it is kinda annoying, but it only works if you do it manually....
in the zip file, read the Readme, that will tell you what to expect, HowToInstall.txt will tell you exactly how to install it

Patty

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2001, 08:08:25 PM »

OK -- I'm back up since you sent subs -- thanks -- now let me fuss with the new package manager -- I presume I download both of the files you mention -- and I guess the zip file is there in case I can't get those two to work?

Why I didn't figure this out an hour or so ago is pathetic on my end, but still ...
Patty

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2001, 08:12:58 PM »

OH ! Well yuck. OK -- that would screw things up.

Yeah, my package manager is a mess when I click on your files -- some don't have titles -- some are simply blank headings.
Patty

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2001, 10:36:11 PM »

Just to update -- I correctly installed the new package manager and it's a whole new world.

I installed the smilie mod with one error:

Quoteindex.php
We're going to look for:

else if ($action == 'sticky') { include_once "$sourcedir/Subs.php"; Sticky(); }

String not found, there's probably an error in your mod.

I bravely installed it anyway, and it didn't really work -- couldn't turn off VB display, and smilies in the pop-up window wouldn't appear. I saw people mentioning this elsewhere, so I presume you know already.

I used the new "uninstall" thing -- and that worked.

So my point is -- it's NOT a scary thing to try the advanced smilie mod as long as you have the right package manager  ;D

Matt: you know, if you're using the old manager, it's really kind of hard to tell what you are supossed to do to upgrade because the file display is incomplete in the old package manager (in the new package manager -- I see a huge thing telling me to download the upgrade -- that wasn't there before, though). In the old manager, something appears that says "upgrade package manager," but if you click the first two selections, nothing happens.

I'm a good idiot meter -- and a sticky thread would clear this up for anyone like me who returned from a few hectic Christmas days. Maybe even an XML announcement in the admin area. It's (obviously) a big deal. I see it now a few posts down in the "Completed Mods" thread, but there are so many URLs like that floating around in threads that it's not so easy to find if you're returning from the holidays. Just an idea ...
Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2001, 03:39:42 AM »

I agree, an XML announcement should be made for the new packages manager

Thanks, I thought you guys would like uninstall :)

I added some new display features to the new PacMan, that is why it is really big :)

KingDutka

Whatever...

ICQ - 143872821 WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2001, 06:23:32 AM »

Matt, sorry man. After a day of rest and re-reading what I posted.. WOW!! What an ass I was!

Anyway, I did not get the new package manager before installing the Add Smilies mod. I will try that 1st before posting again.

"I'm Sorry, Did I Kill You?"-KingDutka, King of the RPG MANIACS
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2001, 01:37:52 PM »

I'd much more prefer to NOT announce it yet.  We're already looking at a few servers to download mods from, a new package manager, things are already getting confusing for users.  I'd much more prefer to release it in a package where we are also addressing some issues.

Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2001, 05:52:00 PM »

OK, good idea :)

I just like my name everywhere :) It makes me feel importent  ::)

KingDutka

Whatever...

ICQ - 143872821 WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2001, 10:36:18 AM »

I've noticed a lot of people having problems with installing this mod. Here's most likely why:

1st, try installing the new Package Manager, then re-upload your smilies mod, then install. That should work.

If you don't want the new package manager and the mod said it installed ok, but still doesn't work, do this:
type http://YOURSITE.com/YABBSE/Sources/Smilies.php

That should run the last file needed to complete the mod.

All other errors should be inquired about here.

"I'm Sorry, Did I Kill You?"-KingDutka, King of the RPG MANIACS
jthorpe

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2001, 03:57:23 PM »

I had some minor problems too, but it's very simple if you read the destructions.  Works great.  I did had to change some of the javascript becuase it wouldn't ad the text to the message when you clicked on the smiley you wanted.  This info provided by someone here of course.  

I like this mod!

Jack
http://www.dodge-diesel.org
Raptr
Noobie

ICQ - 58555568 WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2002, 11:45:55 PM »

I've installed it on my board and it runs fine. It warned me about safe mod PHP, but i have no problems

Raptr --PlanetModz Webmaster--
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Scared to use Advanced Smilies... « previous - next »