Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 29, 2024, 07:49:00 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  English Help  |  YAY!! But confused « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: YAY!! But confused  (Read 4871 times)
irbrian

I create. Therefore I am.

brian@inverse-reality.com WWW
Re:YAY!! But confused
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2001, 06:11:40 AM »

You're not an idiot, sydney, you're just new to all of this. I was too, a few months back, when I first tried to install YaBB 1 Gold. MAN what a headache! But once you start to realize whats going on you'll realize its not complicated, its just one of those "Think Outside the Box" type problems -- in other words, you have to be open to thinking about the web in new ways, take things one step at a time, and keep asking for help.

CHMOD is an FTP command that works on Unix (or Linux) based servers, and the number "777" means that the website admin, the "group", and the world each have READ, WRITE, and EXECUTE permission.

Don't worry about all that stuff so much though. I have to think that maybe the reason you're getting a problem is because you haven't done the CHMOD bit -- what FTP program are you using? If you're using WS_FTP its a little weird to figure out how to do the CHMOD command. If you're using just regular command line FTP (like through the MS-DOS prompt) then you type:

site chmod 777 MySEdirectory

Let me know if this helps -- if it confuses you then just pretend you never saw it ;)

Imparting great wisdom daily to those who will mistake my words as such.
sydney078

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2001, 06:16:47 AM »

I found out how to chmod a file- although what a stupid name- if you are changing permissions shouldnt it be something like chper- or something to that sort

And yes I am stupid when it comes to computers.  Not afraid to admit it.  I was too busy hunting down boys to care about computers in my high school days and could have cared less about technology- same way now really.  I mean, I rather just be able to get on the computer and BAM everything the way I need it.. but that aint happening

Anyway- I have no idea if 3 files are in right place or what not- and this stuff is confusing- Should be install instructions somewhere- in simple laymean terms

irbrian

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2001, 06:27:20 AM »

Quote from: sydney078 on December 21, 2001, 06:16:47 AMAnyway- I have no idea if 3 files are in right place or what not-
Probably the answer to that is Yes. As long as the 3 files are inside the directory you created and CHMOD'd to 777, just run the "installer.php" and it should work fine.

The next thing you'll need to know, though, is the complete path you want to install to. It might be something like /home/sydney/public_html/yabbse for instance, with sydney being the directory on the server that all your stuff is stored under, and "public_html" is the folder that is the top level folder for your website.

sydney078

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2001, 06:28:51 AM »

Thnx -  I have someone helping- well, I hope he is ;)

Dave Smulders
YaBB SE Developer
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2001, 06:29:19 AM »

Your files were in the right place....it's just the file manager you are using to upload the stuff that is confusing for this task I guess.

I'll see if we just can make step by step instructions, accompanied by screenshots to make installing more simple.

irbrian

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2001, 06:35:51 AM »

I think that would be a good idea. And be sure to heavily comment each step... especially when it gets to the initial Settings screen during the installer, just after files are copied -- this is where I was unsure.

sydney078

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2001, 07:26:33 AM »

Quote from: Dave Smulders on December 21, 2001, 06:29:19 AMYour files were in the right place....it's just the file manager you are using to upload the stuff that is confusing for this task I guess.

I'll see if we just can make step by step instructions, accompanied by screenshots to make installing more simple.

So what should I do?

Dave Smulders
YaBB SE Developer
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2001, 07:32:25 AM »

Installed it already for you...read the IM, it's up and running.

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2001, 02:35:20 PM »

The db username was set wrong.  The initial ones used were cool to create and populate but Xnull requires a prefix for the db user and I added it...

Pages: 1 [2] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  English Help  |  YAY!! But confused « previous - next »