Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 30, 2024, 05:57:59 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Split from: Bridge file for Coppermine standalone integration « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Split from: Bridge file for Coppermine standalone integration  (Read 5992 times)
GauGau
Noobie

Klugscheisserei grood recht!

Split from: Bridge file for Coppermine standalone integration
« on: July 02, 2003, 04:27:53 AM »

@yabbse dev team & jack-uk:
Quote from: jack-uk on June 17, 2003, 06:31:41 PM
hehe .. never noticed you'd posted there, so I just modded my old post ::)

It seems to work great, apart from some minor 'cosmetic' functions (as above).
However, there is a potential licensing issue as I am mixing some yabbse code (authentication stuff) with some GPL code. I'll have to get that out of the way before I publish.
Hate to sound "bumpy", but I'd like to remind you on this open issue: can jack "recylce" yabbse code for the bridge file (that is needed to integrate Coppermine standalone dev version with yabbse user authentification) and publish his code on the Coppermine Photo Gallery Support Board? Are you at least considering to grant this? There are some people (like me) checking on the particular thread every day ;)
Maybe the bridge file could be posted here as a mod under YaBB SE TOS?
I'm really looking forward to your "go", but if it's going to be a "no" I'd also like to know, I'd have to start coding then...

GauGau
jack-uk

I'm a llamatron addict

Re:Bridge file for Coppermine standalone integration
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 06:27:19 AM »

Quote from: GauGau on July 02, 2003, 04:27:53 AMMaybe the bridge file could be posted here as a mod under YaBB SE TOS?
The problem is that some (most) of the code in the file is under the GPL, and YaBB SE isn't.

QuoteI'm really looking forward to your "go", but if it's going to be a "no" I'd also like to know, I'd have to start coding then...
I'd like to know too, I'm giving the YaBB SE team a polite nudge every now & then, but I still haven't heard anything more back from them.

Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

Re:[Beta 1.5.1RC1 & 1.4.1] Photo Gallery Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 06:54:19 AM »

why not release the bridge file as GPL?
since its your mod, i believe u can do anything you want with it
QuoteThese mods may only be used by YaBB SE forum software, unless you have written permission from the mod developer.

but i must say that GPL doesn't protect web scripts very well
read this if u're interested: http://forums.devnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?t=9154

My mods, ysePak, codes, tutorials
    Support question IMs = bad.
Nerd3d

Happy Rendering

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 07:26:49 AM »

Went back and re-read the license. Will the bridge cause the copyright display to be removed from the YaBB? That seems to be the only requirement.  That and you agree that your mod/bridge can be included in future YaBB builds

Maybe I don't understand the issue.

I would happily add a YaBB copyright to the bottom of my gallery template to get this bridge file.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2003, 07:31:33 AM by Nerd3d » Logged
zarsky99
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 03:46:34 PM »

Nerd3d,

All the bridge does is pull information from the yabbse SQL DB....the coppermine script and yabbse remain totally isolated as far as code goes....the copyright would not be affected in any way by use of this bridge file.

The only issue is whether Jack-uk has used any yabbse code in his bridge file code.  Then there is a licensing issue caused by using that code.
jack-uk

I'm a llamatron addict

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 05:17:57 PM »

Quote from: zarsky99 on July 02, 2003, 03:46:34 PMThe only issue is whether Jack-uk has used any yabbse code in his bridge file code.  Then there is a licensing issue caused by using that code.

That is precisley the issue (GPL effectivley forbids me to release code using GPL code unless that code is licensed to me under the GPL).

The code in question deals with authenticating the user's cookie and loading user details.

Unfortunatley, the authors of YaBB SE are being less than communicative about the subject (If I got a definite 'No', I could abandon what I've got and advise someone on how to write a 'clean-room' version).

Oh, and Spaceman, I know the GPL has it's flaws, but I prefer to follow the spirit of the thing - I piss off fewer people that way ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2003, 05:19:20 PM by jack-uk » Logged

Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 05:54:00 PM »

as far as i know, and as i quoted above, the yabb se mod TOS allows mod writer to do whatever they want with their mod

from TOS:
QuoteThese mods may only be used by YaBB SE forum software, unless you have written permission from the mod developer.
QuoteAny mods posted on this board are for the soul use of YaBB SE forum and are property of the "Mod Developer"
QuoteMod writers, you may include this T.O.S with your modification to help protect your mod.

from YSE license:
Quote2. You may make modifications to the Software and distribute your
modifications, in a form that is separate from the Software, such
as patches. The following restrictions apply to modifications:

- Modifications must not alter or remove any copyright notices in the
 Software.

- When modifications to the Software are released under this license,
 a non-exclusive royalty-free right is granted to the initial developer
 of the Software to distribute your modification in future versions of
 the Software provided such versions remain available under these terms
 in addition to any other license(s) of the initial developer.

so, i think a mod writer has the freedom to release his/her mod under any kind of license
correct me if i'm wrong...

Nerd3d

Happy Rendering

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 06:05:08 PM »

I know this is not the thread to discuss license issues, but it seems to be rolling that way right now... How does the lisense work for Yapp/pFaBB/Enigma? Did they need to get permission to slice a big chunk of YaBB off into a portal?

Not trying to argue I'm just curious.

I really would like to see this happen as this will allow us to use the two apps and update to newer versions without constantly bugging Spaceman-Spiff for new release patches.

If is was as good as being bad at php I'd volunteer to help with a clean room bridge.
jack-uk

I'm a llamatron addict

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 06:32:26 PM »

That clause deals with patches, mod files & the like, that do not include any real YaBB SE code in themselves, but modify the existing code to produce the modified version.

The bridge isn't even technically a modification of YaBB SE, it is a seperate package entirely (albeit one that doesn't do anything useful seperate from YaBB SE).

To my mind, there is a huge ambiguity with the license in this situation. And, as I run a not insignificant board (in local terms), it would be foolish of me to antagonise the Yabbse developers and community by running rough-shod over the license (and therefore pirating code) the moment an unforseen situation occurs.

There was obviously a reason that the YaBB SE team moved away from the GPL to their own license (nope, I can't just use the code from the GPL'd version - it would lose compatibility with YaBB SE 1.5.4) and I have to respect that.

That said, is there anyone who would be willing to attempt a clean-room version of this? (i.e. hasn't seen the YaBB SE source code - or at least Load.php).

groundup
Disciple of Joe, Head Cleric
Mod Team
YaBB God

Error 309: Please notify the administrator of this

Re:Split from: Bridge file for Coppermine standalone integration
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 06:57:16 PM »

Although permission was requested, they didn't need it.

http://www.fastfinancialfreedom.org - financial freedom is a myth
fastfinancialfreedom.org
jack-uk

I'm a llamatron addict

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2003, 07:09:25 PM »

Aye, good idea to split the thread - apologies to spaceman-spiff for hijacking his original thread ;)

This is roughly what I got in reply to my initial query :-
QuoteThat's a good point.  I'm 'forwarding' this to Jeff Lewis, as well...
and
Quoteif it's only a few lines, I doubt it matters.

The code in question was supplied to him after I recieved that message, but I have recieved no further communication. He may doubt that there'd be a problem, but there was enough doubt either way to referr it to Jeff.

As for the forks mentioned, I presume that they were forked from the GPL versions of YaBB SE. (oh it would have been so much simpler a few months ago ::) )

Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2003, 07:23:05 PM »

Quote from: jack-uk on July 02, 2003, 07:09:25 PM
Aye, good idea to split the thread - apologies to spaceman-spiff for hijacking his original thread ;)
lol, no problem at all ;)

zarsky99
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2003, 08:08:03 PM »

Quote from: groundup on July 02, 2003, 06:57:16 PM
Although permission was requested, they didn't need it.

So does anyone know where we stand than?  I am so confused?
groundup
Disciple of Joe, Head Cleric
Mod Team
YaBB God

Error 309: Please notify the administrator of this

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2003, 08:20:28 PM »

a mod isn't necessarily covered under YSE's license. You can choose the license. I am not sure what you would like to do? Make a mod for YSE or make a mod for coppermine? If it would mean that it would make major changes in both, you'd have to include the copyright wherever YSE is present. (See <yabb copyright>). The license is completely up to Jeff Lewis and Lewis Media to decide what can be covered. I am sure that Coppermine allows for modifications. Unless you are going to sell Coppermine, I don't see any problem with it.

fastfinancialfreedom.org
jack-uk

I'm a llamatron addict

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2003, 09:04:19 PM »

The problem is that this is a derivative (not a mod) with code from two files, one under the YaBB SE license, the other under the GPL. Therefore, by the terms of the GPL (as I understand it), the whole of the resulting code must be licensed under the GPL for me to publish it.

Anyways, in the fashion of Archimedes, I have pondered this in the bath, and may have come up with a solution 8)

If I can figure some way of doing

include($yabb/Sources/Load.php)

And calling LoadCookie(), and LoadUserSettings()  from within the bridge, I can do it without any YaBB SE code .. Eureka!

Oh well, looks like it's gonna be another late night for me again ;)

Pages: [1] 2 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Split from: Bridge file for Coppermine standalone integration « previous - next »