Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
June 05, 2024, 02:18:10 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Current YaBB Version Image « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Current YaBB Version Image  (Read 2023 times)
Draker
Noobie

Current YaBB Version Image
« on: June 05, 2003, 04:42:30 AM »

Hey,

Perhaps as consideration for whatever the next release of YaBB is called this week (I keep reading different names for it in the various forums), but the image in the Admin panel for the current YaBB version, doesn't quite work with Black bacgrounds.

I belive it is a transparent gif, with Black text; which of course on a black background, doesn't show up at all.  Perhaps an alternative image with white text would be helpful.

And yes, I know all one needs to do is follow through on the Detailed Version Check to see if they have the latest version or not, but its one of those quirky errors that drives perfectionists crazy (Hmmm, maybe I should talk about myself ;))
David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

Re:Current YaBB Version Image
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 04:47:35 AM »

But how would the correct image get loaded?

Draker
Noobie

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 04:50:25 AM »

Well, the first thing that comes to mind would be to add another setting somewhere, but there are enough settings (espically when one mods out his/her board) that one more barely pointless setting isn't worth it.

How about breaking away from the image idea, and putting it into regular text?  Similar to the way it grabs the YaBB News, it can grab the text of the current YaBB release, and put it there?  Is that a possibility?
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 05:01:01 AM »

Quote from: Draker on June 05, 2003, 04:50:25 AM
Well, the first thing that comes to mind would be to add another setting somewhere, but there are enough settings (espically when one mods out his/her board) that one more barely pointless setting isn't worth it.

How about breaking away from the image idea, and putting it into regular text?  Similar to the way it grabs the YaBB News, it can grab the text of the current YaBB release, and put it there?  Is that a possibility?

The image is much more likely to load, as it is client side not server side.

Some servers don't have incoming internet, and on many the YaBB news does not even work.

I experimented with a method to fix this, but it just didn't work out well.  You can highlight the image to see what it says.

-[Unknown]
Draker
Noobie

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 05:04:27 AM »

Well, I can understand that.

And I know this discussion is getting far longer then is probably worth, considering the image in question, but how about you offer two different images, and those of us that really care about seeing the image, can alter the code to point to the alternative image?

Or am I just building a moutain out of a mole hill on this?  (And feel free to tell me so if I am)
Ben_S
Disciple of Joe
Support Team
YaBB God

I Love YaBB SE!

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 08:06:59 PM »

how about ditching the transparency and just having black on white? Ok it wont look as pretty but its in the admin area so does it matter?
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Current YaBB Version Image « previous - next »