Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 09, 2024, 08:07:54 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  YaBB SE...Ikonboard Port? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: YaBB SE...Ikonboard Port?  (Read 4560 times)
Joyrex
YaBB SE...Ikonboard Port?
« on: December 29, 2001, 04:43:38 AM »

I'm sorry, but I was a devoted YaBBer (and still like it, bandwidth is obnoxious though), and recently moved to Ikonboard 3.01. Now you're not probably gonna like what I say next but:

1) the graphics/layout look suspiciously like Ib
2) the speed increase (if any) is almost invisible
3) Yabb SE has VERY similar features to Ib (this is a bit general, since all forums are somewhat alike nowadays, but still, there are some telling similarities.

I just hope Yabb 2 will prove worth the wait, and for YaBBers this is a decent solution until then, but you might want to look at Ib as well.
Patty

Drat. I caught Darth Llama.

Re:YaBB SE...Ikonboard Port?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2001, 05:07:56 AM »

I hate to seem like a YaBB SE cheerleader, because I do like iB. However ...

1.) I disagree about layout, and so do my users -- who didn't like iB's layout. Apart from the graphic in the header tables, I don't see much similarity.  

Just to gripe -- the one thing I personally don't like about iB's layout is the amount of space wasted at the top of the page.

2.) YaBB SE runs much MUCH faster than any of the iB 3 release candidates I tried -- and it's faster than the iB 3 final boards I visit. Also, the iB 3 RC's i tried were much harder on bandwidth and resources -- my host has  shut down at least one iB3 for resource issues in recent weeks -- not a large board, either.

3.) YaBB SE has very similar features to YaBB SP1 and the many mods available at board mod. I still see a lot of people requesting YaBB features in iB's help forums.
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2001, 02:35:34 PM »

1) The layout is the same as Y1G, just different images.

2) The speed is nice, visit here for a little while and zip over to http://yabb.xnull.com/community  It's painful ;)

3) That was a silly thing to say, what forums don't have most of the same features these days?  Nothing iB has is really unique and these are all features available for Y1G as Patty said...

Joyrex
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2002, 05:58:11 AM »

All good points, I'll admit. I guess I was just fed up with YaBB using so much bandwidth (and I am on a pay-for-bandwidth, not for space host) using the flatfile system. Perhaps I'll try YaBB SE again and give it a whirl.

Keep up the good work - this is by no means a shoddy product in anyone's opinion!

P.S.: I hate the IB waste of space at the top too  ;)
Parham
Advisor
YaBB God

#!/usr/bin/perl

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2002, 02:46:04 PM »

Quote from: Joyrex on January 06, 2002, 05:58:11 AMAll good points, I'll admit. I guess I was just fed up with YaBB using so much bandwidth (and I am on a pay-for-bandwidth, not for space host) using the flatfile system. Perhaps I'll try YaBB SE again and give it a whirl.

Keep up the good work - this is by no means a shoddy product in anyone's opinion!

P.S.: I hate the IB waste of space at the top too  ;)
YAY! ;D

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  YaBB SE...Ikonboard Port? « previous - next »