Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 02, 2024, 09:55:51 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  PHP Portals... will it.... « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: PHP Portals... will it....  (Read 165493 times)
Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
Re:PHP Portals... will it....
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2002, 05:28:14 PM »

We are integrating PHP-Nuke and YaBB SE.

We have NO PLANS WHATSOEVER to integrate PostNuke and YaBB SE.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2002, 05:30:22 PM by Matt Siegman » Logged

AndyMan1
Noobie

Think Different.

ICQ - 117315549
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2002, 09:48:04 PM »

could you make plans? Honestly, I think it would be a lot easier to build Yabb into Postnuke than into PHP-Nuke, both in the coding itself and in the support from the Nuke Teams.

Also, check out the newest headline at postnuke.com-
QuoteThe PostNuke Content Management System, a premier open source content management system, received the ServerProven designation from the IBM X-Series server proving team.
I think a Postnuke Mod would get a LOT more attention than a PHP-nuke one.

Since you are already underway, do you think a postnuke mod could come after the PHP-nuke one, after you have the experience of messing with a nuke?

Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature!
ReHlbe
Noobie

Juve Merda!

ICQ - 146963723rehlbe WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2002, 09:53:56 PM »

My opinion instead is that you can integrate it with either post or php nuke..but I think that such add-on would get way more success if it's built as a module, instead of developing a separate platform.
Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

The shrub demands war. I don't. The world doesn't.

ICQ - 69234983clickopedia@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2002, 01:22:08 AM »

hehe.. how wouuld u suggest we go aboutthat rehIbe?

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
ReHlbe
Noobie

Juve Merda!

ICQ - 146963723rehlbe WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2002, 01:38:13 AM »

well, the first thing to consider is the level of integration you want to achieve..

if you want only the member list to be shared, and maybe adding just simple blocks with last headlines and forum info then you should only have to modify yabb se to work with a different users database..the topics, boards, etc parts wouldn't be touched.
Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2002, 01:43:06 AM »

but we need to modify the way of storing information.. what we're thinking is getting the best of both worlds and taking the best features of yabbse and phpnuke and "mmerging" everything ;)

we'll see how it goes though :)

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
Nossie

If it aint broke, you haven't played with it enuff

ICQ - 18967293IanHarvie@Hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2002, 01:44:46 AM »

I'd have to unfortunatly agree although I dont know how it would be done..

I probaly wont install what is being done here at the moment... I and I know a hell of alot of others would prefer PostNuke... I wasn't going to argue before but from the experience I've had PostNuke is a 100x more professional both working and looking.  another totally different  content management system is going to cause more problems... PLUS the fact it wont be nearly as customizable, themeable and wont have near enough the same amount of support as the other Products and in all honesty that was the 3 main reasons that I would have even considered PostNuke in the first place.

sorry... just my 2cents worth.

Ian.

Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2002, 01:46:34 AM »

i was just thinking bout niceguyeddie's post... methinks me better talk to matt...

Nossie

If it aint broke, you haven't played with it enuff

ICQ - 18967293IanHarvie@Hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2002, 01:53:14 AM »

lol what post was that? <sifting through lots of posts>

Purple Raine
Beta Tester

Who's Yo Daddy?

« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2002, 06:15:27 PM »

So here's my dilemma...

I run a website with News, loads of articles, a very interactive forum, etc... and YaBB has been a godsend for me... it's turned my site into a community... the problem is, my site is VERY unorganized and it's becoming more and more of a chore to update... so I've thought about PostNuke... the main reason I didn't go over in the first place are threefold ::

a) All the Nukes look the same - so bland
b) Nuke takes up CRAPLOADS of resources
c) YaBB doesn't work with it...

Now, I can live with the so bland thing because I believe I can make it look sexy =)... besides, everyone thinks my site is Nuke-based anyway because of the look - pure coincidence (www.eldaronline.com)...

If I get to using the Nuke system, I may switch to dedicated servers, or arrange for something with my host regarding the resource demands...

but there still is the final problem, YaBB...

I think this is an issue many people have, hence why this thread is so popular, and we're torn between two great products.... and seeing a hybrid of the two is great, but since it's only being developed by 2 people, the chances of it coming through don't look too good (or am I wrong in presuming this?)

So what are my options?  Is there something out there that CAN use yabbse for integration?  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2002, 06:21:25 PM by Purple Raine » Logged
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2002, 10:51:50 PM »

QuoteI think this is an issue many people have, hence why this thread is so popular, and we're torn between two great products.... and seeing a hybrid of the two is great, but since it's only being developed by 2 people, the chances of it coming through don't look too good (or am I wrong in presuming this?)

I'd say you're very wrong in presuming this.  Amazing amounts can be done even with just 2 people working on things.  <sidelong look at jeff>  ;)

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2002, 10:57:37 PM »

Who me?  Yeah we can get lots done...helps when there are new fun things to do too ;)

Purple Raine
Beta Tester

Who's Yo Daddy?

« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2002, 01:10:15 AM »

Hehehe... my sincerest apologies!  I honestly thought you had a truckload of people working with you on this!  If it isn't, then my hat comes off for the umpteenth time =)...

You have done a very excellent job.  We appreciate it very much (although it doesn't show)... both you and Jeff know how often I contact you for hassles and questions (and Raptors insults =), so you know I am a strong supporter of YaBB.  

I really do look forward to that day when YaBB has some sort of CMS integration, etc... and have much faith that someone will make it happen =)

But for now, I'll just play with PostNuke ... it's rather sad, since I can't use it, yet know it will benefit me so much =)

Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2002, 01:30:56 AM »

its 3 people.. though i have ot admit i dont do much ;)

Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2002, 02:52:06 AM »

No - I didn't mean to give the impression that it's just Jeff and I - but between the two of us, we've probably done a god 80%-90% of the code.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  PHP Portals... will it.... « previous - next »