Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 05, 2024, 12:51:23 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Forums Review by Xakep_INC « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Forums Review by Xakep_INC  (Read 3042 times)
Xakep_INC
Noobie

I'm a llama!

Forums Review by Xakep_INC
« on: July 15, 2003, 01:39:08 PM »

PHP Forums Review by Xakep_INC

In this review, I will be testing three forums(YaBB SE, phpBB and InvisionBoard). Each forum will be reviewed by security, cosmetic, customization, support and ease of use criterias. The security part is tested with the http://www.securityfocus.com/ search function. I hope this review will help to someone who will need to set up a forum.

InvisionBoard
This is the first forum I will review and I will start from the obviously fist thing, the installation. When you launch the installation file, you are automatically transfered to a nice introduction screen, which says which information you will be asked for. The next step of the installation is a clean screen with fields for the data needed.

After you finish the installation process, it asks you to delete the installation file, and makes a lock file so no one will be able to reinstall without removing the lock.
After you delete the install file, and enter the url of the forum in your bowser, you are transfered to a nice, professional looking index page. The only bad side of it could be that there is too much information, presented at once.

While testing the posting and threads functions of InvisionBoard, I found no major lacks of features, and no obvious bugs. The forum is more or less user friendly, and the speed is nice(There is gzip compression support).
The next step of testing was accessing the Admin Panel. The admin panel is very function rich. You can do many things there, and There is always a list of admin areas at the left of the page.

My overall impression from the admin panel was that it has many funcitions, but it is a little messy, and a little user unfriendly. The customization in it is very easy, you can edit every part of the CSS or HTML templating without even leaving the admin panel. The template is divided to categories and sub categories, so it will be easier to edit it. The security search(http://www.securityfocus.com/search?query=invision) returned  14 results.

Rating(x=rating/y=max):
Installation ease - 4/5
Functions - 5/5
User Friendly - 3/5
Visual Quality - 5/5
Security - 4/5
Speed - 5/5

YaBB SE
First thing that I want to say, is that this forum has no real connection to the perl YaBB forum. So any stereotypes should be removed :)
Again, I will start with the installation.
When you launch the install process, you are welcomed by a not so graphically shining interface, which asks you to fill some forms. The good thing about it, is that there is a good explanation to every field, and most of the technical fields are usually there for your verification(They are filled automatically).

After finishing the installation process, you are aksed to delete the installation file. After you do this, you can go to the forum index. The forum is clean, and professional looking(Although not so shiny as InvisionBoard). All of the features are there. You can start polls, threads, reply, attach files, and do lots of other actions.

The speed was good, and the forum is very user friendly. The admin panel has many functions as well, it looks a little more organized than Invision's one, but to access a different admin page, you must go back to the admin main page and chose the destination, which is a little time taking. The customization was a little dissapointing. The whole editing center is a little text field with a HTML page on it, with no actual dividing to categories.

The security search(http://www.securityfocus.com/search?query=yabbse) returned only 6 results.

Rating(x=rating/y=max):
Installation ease - 5/5
Functions - 4/5
User Friendly - 5/5
Visual Quality - 4/5
Security - 5/5
Speed - 5/5

phpBB
To be honest, this forum was the most dissapointing one of them all. Read and see why.
The installation process was pretty easy. There was only one step, in which I was asked for some information. The script warned me, and asked to delete two directories.

The index page was clean, but it was a little dark and "boring" comparing to the other forum's design. All the basic functions were there, but some were missing or not implemented right. I found no attachment function, and the not read threads are detected by your last visit, which means that if you miss at thread, you won't see it as a new one at your next visit.

The speed was good, the forum is user friendly, but as I said, abit "boring". The admin panel is similiar to the one you see in InvisionBoard. It has a list of areas at the left. It is more organized than the one in InvisionBoard, but not as friendly as the one in YaBB SE.

The "on place" customization is a dissapointment. You can only change few font colors and texts. To make a nicer customization, you need to mess with uploading and editing template files(They are organized by parts though, which is good). The security part was surprising. The search(http://www.securityfocus.com/search?query=phpbb) returned 60(!!!!) results. Who says even the Perl YaBB is buggy after that? :)

Rating(x=rating/y=max):
Installation ease - 5/5
Functions - 3/5
User Friendly - 4/5
Visual Quality - 3/5
Security - 2/5
Speed - 5/5

Conclusion
After this test, I concluded that if you want lots of features, and customization. It's better to use YaBB SE or InvisionBoard. phpBB is not an option(Well.. Maybe if you will install 100 mods ;) ... ). YaBB SE seems to be the choice if you want a user friendly and a clean forum. InvisionBoard has more features, but it's a little flashy and not organized. phpBB needs a major update, that all what I can say...
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
Re:Forums Review by Xakep_INC
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 07:33:57 PM »

QuoteThe speed was good, and the forum is very user friendly. The admin panel has many functions as well, it looks a little more organized than Invision's one, but to access a different admin page, you must go back to the admin main page and chose the destination, which is a little time taking. The customization was a little dissapointing. The whole editing center is a little text field with a HTML page on it, with no actual dividing to categories.

Good thing 1.6.0 includes a admin bar on every page (without uing those nasty frames ;).) and happens to let you alter any and all parts of the HTML/CSS.  It has all the different portions of the theme in there... :D.

It's also 30% faster, which I guess could get a 6 on Speed ;D ;D?

Quotewhich means that if you miss at thread, you won't see it as a new one at your next visit.
Easily the thing I like least about phpBB, I must agree.

I agree with your results, and I've always seen vBulletin and Invision Board as major competitors.  But, I'd like to think that when 1.6.0 is done they'll think of YaBB SE as their competitors ;).

Thanks for the review.  I admit it looks a little biased toward YaBB SE from my angle, only because I would give a 4/5 in Speed for it.  (it's, as of 1.5.4 noticably slower than both of the other forums you mentioned.)  

Of course, I'm biased too.  I'm a developer of YaBB SE, aren't I?

Otherwise it was - imho - very good, and I'm intensely glad you not only recognized but said "First thing that I want to say, is that this forum has no real connection to the perl YaBB forum. So any stereotypes should be removed" because it is YaBB SE's largest problem - if you had another thing - PR - YaBB SE would certainly get a 2 and Invision a 3 or 4.  phpBB would get a 5 there... you see those the most.

Thanks,
-[Unknown]
Ben_S
Disciple of Joe
Support Team
YaBB God

I Love YaBB SE!

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 08:00:52 PM »

Quotewhich means that if you miss at thread, you won't see it as a new one at your next visit.

VB does that too, invision used to, havent been on one for a while so dont know if it still does, but its the most anoying thing ever, especially on a busy for when you like to read a few threads do a bit of work and come back 10-15 mins later and then find all threads marked as read
skoen
Longing For a Title
YaBB God

Official translator and local mod.

ICQ - 164554802hoyreskoen@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 08:29:48 AM »

That's horrible.
Thanks also for mentioning the easy editing of the template. That's the greatest part. But I still would like to see some php support there, so that I can implement the forum to the layout in some way. That would be nice to the fact that I'm using CVS system from August 22nd.

Proud to be Norwegian

Feel free to send me an IM if you got any questions or comments regarding YabbSE or my translation.

My portfolio(Norwegian)

Caught 43 llamas.
Xakep_INC
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 05:32:40 PM »

Well, i'm not really biased. Because I was using phpBB( :S ) until now. The only boards I respect now are YaBBSE InvisionBoard and vBulletin...

And I didn't really notice any speed problems. Maybe because all the hosts I tried are really fast...
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 12:58:02 AM »

Well, as those I've debated with on optimization will be quick to point out, it's hardly noticable.  We're talking a fraction of a TENTH of a second, so it's not really that bad at all.

Anyhow, thanks again... now, to raise those numbers when 1.6.0 comes out ;D.

*goes off and codes some more.*

-[Unknown]
Aeon

Chaos Forces

never_mind86@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 06:18:42 PM »

why don't you make a vB review ?!

YaBB SE still OWNZ all .. the support team YaBB SE has is GREAT !!! ;D

(now I expect +10 Karma .. just to make balance after that damn evil llama got me :'( )

I still don't know what Classes and Object-Orinted do!!?
do you know what they do and why they existed ?!
please tell me and I will appreciate it ..
Douglas
aka The Bear
Support Team
YaBB God

Bears rule! Llamas rule too!

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 07:02:26 PM »

¶h34r dax ££ama!  :D

Need help? Please SEARCH first.  No need for a bad attitude, we like helping positive minded people.
ComeHit.us Short URL  redirection svcs with YSE powered forums, COMING SOON!
Want to say thanks?  Check out http://comehit.us/?u=3
Aeon

Chaos Forces

never_mind86@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 02:08:49 PM »

you wont believe it !!!
I just cought the good llama .. and it balanced my Karma again ...

okay here is my review on YaBBSE :
RATE OVERALL : 12/10 (mark/Max mark)

bears rules ! Llama rules , too  ;D

I still don't know what Classes and Object-Orinted do!!?
do you know what they do and why they existed ?!
please tell me and I will appreciate it ..
HyperDev

Have drumsticks, will travel.

gtcproject@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 03:38:39 PM »

We wouldn't have such a problem with the bad llamas if people would stop KILLING all of them off!

I'm willing to bet that they don't like being killed very much. That's why they all turn evil. And has anyone seen any GOOD llamas recently?  ???

--JC

HyperDev Admin

Will drum for food TO PISS GIRLS OFF! (Only reason I'd do anything.)

Proud Member of HHS Drumline

Mach8 and [Unknown], I still don't know how you convinced me girls aren't evil.

And please, SAVE THE LLAMAS!!!
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Forums Review by Xakep_INC « previous - next »