Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18, 2024, 10:39:05 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Fake YaBB E-Mails « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Fake YaBB E-Mails  (Read 1989 times)
Cassie396
Noobie

I'm a llama!

Fake YaBB E-Mails
« on: May 04, 2003, 10:59:48 PM »

I just wanted to let you know that someone has contacted me over 10 times this weekend to try and get my admin password. They also want a bunch of other information, too. I never responded, they said they are going to delete my board tonight. I thought this was a pretty pathetic attempt since they are 'Yet Another Message Board'... they couldn't even get that right.

But what I really wanted to know, is does YaBB ever call the people who have downloaded the software? My partner for a website recieved several phone calls about possible hacker attacks, and I didn't think this made any sense, because where would YaBB get her phone number? You don't make us give you any personal info, so this is probably a very, very unstable hacker, right?

Anyway, this is why I have put my board in maintenance mode and I am trying to install the new YaBBSE. But, of course I have problems because I don't know anything about SQL (see my other post ::sigh::) so my board will be down.

You guys have a great board, and it is so great that it is free. You truly understand the spirit of the internet. If I new anything about programming, I would try to help, but I don't, so I'll just say THANKS!  :-*

Talk To You Soon,
Cassie  :)
David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

Re:Fake YaBB E-Mails
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 11:04:47 PM »

No, as you can see we collect no information when you download the software.  If you have specifics as to who has been doing this please e-mail [email protected] and I will try and investigate further.

Cassie396
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 11:08:32 PM »

Here are some of the e-mail addresses they gave me.

[email protected]
[email protected]

If you would like, I could e-mail you the e-mails they have been sending me all weekend.
David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2003, 11:09:13 PM »

Yes, please do.

David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 11:12:52 PM »

Also you can report abuse to hotmail, forward a copy of the e-mail and full headers.
[email protected].

Cassie396
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 11:19:20 PM »

Hi,

Thank you for responding so quickly! I forwarded two of the first e-mails we got. They were directed at my co-webmaster, and she is going to send me the rest to send to you.  I really appreciate any help you can give us with this.

Cassie
Gobalopper
Mod Team
YaBB God

Cookie Monster

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2003, 11:26:04 PM »

If they know your friends phone number it might be someone you know.
Coyote
YaBB God

I love YaBB SE!

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 08:04:06 AM »

or its in your domain registration information!

type your domain name in here and see what it says about you.

www.checkdomain.com

To the world - you are just one person, but to one person you are the world!
I, Brian

It is coming...

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 07:18:53 PM »

Darn it - good link. I could've sworn that Gandi.net protected my personal info from being revealed with my domains - but all it's hidden is my e-mail address. :(

Michele
Beta Tester
YaBB God

I can't wait for YaBB SE 2!

Mad+Moya WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 01:26:53 PM »

Lucky you... I checked my domains and my email is listed 4 times on one of my domains... geesh... no wonder I get so much spam at that address...  now if I could just convince the spammers I wasn't a guy who needs a big one.  ::)

formerly Mad Moya
PfaBB - http://pfabb.lunabyte.com
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Fake YaBB E-Mails « previous - next »