Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 04, 2024, 11:48:30 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Email Spam from this board??? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Email Spam from this board???  (Read 2804 times)
dad
Noobie

I'm a llama!

Email Spam from this board???
« on: June 28, 2003, 03:41:52 AM »

i just got an email from  a japanese site. cant even read it but it picked up my email from a post i did on the following thread

http://www.yabbse.org/community/index.php?board=132;action=display;threadid=18377;start=45

having my own email  accounts i enjoy a spam/advertising free email service   and i would also like to protect members from  messageboard/boards i make that they get the same privacy.   is there something that can be done to rectify that or?

i know very little about secrity but if anyone of authority in writing  needs the email forwarded i would be willing to do so

thanks in advance

dad
David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

Re:Email Spam from this board???
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 04:17:57 AM »

Hide your e-mail address.  It seems a spam spider harvested addresses from this site.

Peter Duggan
Llama Chameleon
Global Moderator
YaBB God

You come and go...

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 11:03:27 AM »

Quote from: dad on June 28, 2003, 03:41:52 AM
having my own email  accounts i enjoy a spam/advertising free email service   and i would also like to protect members from  messageboard/boards i make that they get the same privacy.   is there something that can be done to rectify that or?

It only requires a very simple mod to hide all email addresses from guests (and therefore spiders), whether or not they've been hidden from other members:

Quote from: Peter Duggan on May 03, 2003, 09:55:00 PMSearch Display.php for

if ($userprofile[$mname]['hideEmail'] != '1' || $settings[7] == 'Administrator' || $allow_hide_email != '1')
And replace with

if ($username != 'Guest' && ($userprofile[$mname]['hideEmail'] != '1' || $settings[7] == 'Administrator' || $allow_hide_email != '1'))
Search Profile.php for

if ($memsettings[19] != "1" || $settings[7] == 'Administrator' || $allow_hide_email != '1')
And replace with

if ($username != 'Guest' && ($memsettings[19] != "1" || $settings[7] == 'Administrator' || $allow_hide_email != '1'))

Note that you don't have to bother about Instant Messages or the Member List because these are already inaccessible to guests.

haase

Do you feel lucky?

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 01:17:36 PM »

I got the same exact thing...   but it's a Korean site, not Japanese
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Email Spam from this board??? « previous - next »