Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 05, 2024, 03:51:58 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Password Security « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Password Security  (Read 2563 times)
Galdan
Password Security
« on: December 21, 2001, 11:48:41 PM »

Hi Guys,

i have installed the "Password Security" Mod (http://www.thewebworks.com/) in my old Y1G, so there are all Passwords encrypted. When i use now the converter every Member has a new Password because SE didnt use encrypted passes in the database.

Is there a possibility to deencrypt the old passes or write a mod for SE?

Thanks you a lot

Galdan
alexrolko
Re:Password Security
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2001, 11:52:43 PM »

YaBB SE does in fact encrypt the passwords. if you've converted over with encrypted passwords, get your members to just do a forgotten password reminder and YaBB SE will send a new password.
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2001, 12:28:10 AM »

Just as a further point no, you can't decrypt them

Galdan
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2001, 01:42:49 PM »

But I think its not reasonable for my users that everyone must send his own password. Or is there a function with that i can send every user the password?

thanks
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2001, 01:45:14 PM »

There is not a function.  They will have to do that.  You can't decrypt the passwords so this is what you'll have to get them to do.

Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2001, 06:07:52 PM »

We had a debate about this during the beta-testing process, and we decided that its easy enough for webmaster with the encryption mod to use the mailing list feature to send everyone a link to the "forgot password" utility.

adams

http://outersurf.com http://jadz.com

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2001, 07:21:58 AM »

On this topic. How hard is it to use the YaBBSE mySQL database to authenicate in other areas of my site. For example, I have a file upload feature on my site that I currently use .htaccess files to limit access (as I dont' want just anyone uploading through apache). I would like to port this so that the page verifies users through the yabbSE users db. Is this going to be hard to do? (as the passwords arn't in plain text when I view them in myPHPadmin I'm not sure how to do it.

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  Password Security « previous - next »