Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 02, 2024, 11:43:09 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Converters  |  Infopop to Yabbse « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Infopop to Yabbse  (Read 5213 times)
smacktalk

No Personal Text!!

Infopop to Yabbse
« on: March 20, 2003, 12:54:26 AM »

This would be a great converter. Is there one out there?

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.
Chris Cromer
The Strange One
Mod Team
YaBB God

I am just a figment of your imagination.

Re:Infopop to Yabbse
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 01:14:15 AM »

I wouldn't spend my money to get UBB to make a converter... I don't see one being made unless someone already owns UBB or has money to waste.

Chris Cromer

I am not suffering from insanity, I am enjoying every minute of it.
smacktalk

No Personal Text!!

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 02:52:11 AM »

Quote from: Chris Cromer on March 20, 2003, 01:14:15 AM
I wouldn't spend my money to get UBB to make a converter... I don't see one being made unless someone already owns UBB or has money to waste.

I have several friends that own UBB but want to covert to YABBSE for a couple of reasons:

1) In order to update you have to keep paying your yearly fees to UBB.
2) Their support sucks unless you know someone there.
3) YABBSE features and Mods compared to UBB.

They just dont want to lose the thousands of threads and hundreds of members they have.

To bad.... for them. ;D

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.
Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 05:11:49 PM »

i dont think many of us here had used UBB before, maybe if u can post the db structure, something can be worked out...

My mods, ysePak, codes, tutorials
    Support question IMs = bad.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 09:10:03 PM »

If someone were to provide me with all the neccessary materials (enough to _legally_ set up a test board on my own server...) I would be willing to try to make one.

-[Unknown]
Chris Cromer
The Strange One
Mod Team
YaBB God

I am just a figment of your imagination.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 02:18:59 AM »

Same here. ;)

Chris Cromer

I am not suffering from insanity, I am enjoying every minute of it.
smacktalk

No Personal Text!!

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2003, 07:00:30 PM »

Well they do offer a test forum but most of the features are desabled so I dont know if that would work. I know that we cannot setup a copy of the forum because it's considered a violation of the agreement or some stupid crap like that.

haase

Do you feel lucky?

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 02:03:33 PM »

Quote from: Spaceman-Spiff on March 20, 2003, 05:11:49 PM
i dont think many of us here had used UBB before, maybe if u can post the db structure, something can be worked out...

UBB = flat file + PERL

There's no DB.

See if we can find something in between.  If we can transfer UBB to a bulletin board where there already exists a translation to Yabb SE, there's a couple of routes we can take.   Just force a double translation each time (pain in the butt) or try to merge the two translaters to bridge the gap.

[edit]
For instance, I just found this Converter from UBB 6.x to phpBB 2.

I'm not a coding genius, but it seems like we ought to be able to take the input of one converter and map it to the output of the other converter.  Of course, that's not to say there won't be coding involved, and it probably won't be that easy, but at least you don't have to do so much research about what goes where - the pre-coding work is done.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 02:10:45 PM by greghaase » Logged
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 03:45:29 PM »

Well, you might try making the conversion, and then converting to YaBB SE with the converter I made.

Not sure how well that'd work....

-[Unknown]
Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 06:47:00 PM »

UBB still uses flat file till this moment?
i thought that was like 3 years ago :o :o
i guess the converter will be something like Y1G converter

My mods, ysePak, codes, tutorials
    Support question IMs = bad.
PolarisX
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 02:25:19 AM »

UBB.Classic still uses flatfile. UBB.threads uses mySQL.

And i guess im here for pretty much the same reason, im looking for an alternative to the UBB. Ive been using it for 5 years . . . and throughout that time ive probably spent around $600 on the board alone.

I tried going to phpBB . . . and i used that converter mentioned above, but it only works for 6.2 and below. I have 6.4 and it brought over the users, and the catergories and the boards, but not the individual posts . . .  and i have over 150,000 posts and almost 800 users and losing those posts is not an option.

If it comes right down to it, i can give someone a copy of 6.4 . . . . its a protected script but i need an alternative to the UBB and i cant lose my data.

Its a very good board, theyve made some amazing breakthroughs with their flatfile databases, and thats why its still one of the #1 messaging boards on the net.

But 5 years . . . . . when it cost $100 it was allright, but theyve jacked the price to $200 now and . . . why? Theyve made enough money off me already.

So if anyones up for a challenge . . . otherwise im gunna need to find another board system that can convert.
haase

Do you feel lucky?

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2003, 03:30:58 PM »

FYI guys.  The UBB Classic to phpbb2 converter I referenced above works if you comment out 1 line of code:

in func_converter.php

before:
add_search_words($posted_id, stripslashes($posted_post), stripslashes($posted_thetopic));
after
//add_search_words($posted_id, stripslashes($posted_post), stripslashes($posted_thetopic));

This isn't speculation.  I just converted all of my 6.3.0.1 topics successfully.  Now I just have to do the second half into YaBB SE.
haase

Do you feel lucky?

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2003, 03:51:55 PM »

I'm very happy.

The conversion from phpbb2 to yabbse worked well.  I got an error message at the end of the conversion.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: database_error() in d:\inetpub\wwwroot\yabbse\Sources\Subs.php on line 73

But when I went back to the forum, all my old posts and everything were there, and I was even able to login with the old UBB admin user/pass.

So as far as I'm concerned, the double conversion works fine as long as you don't mind breifly setting up a phpbb2 board.  The whole process took me less than 2 hours. ;D
PolarisX
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2003, 01:57:30 AM »

I tried using it, and it didnt work for me. Well it converted the users, the catergories and the forums, but not the individual posts . . . . im not quite sure why it didnt convert the posts. Did they convert for you?
haase

Do you feel lucky?

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2003, 02:26:47 AM »

Yes.  I posted incorrectly above.  You need to replace, not add after.  When I did that, I got my posts too.

in func_converter.php

find
add_search_words($posted_id, stripslashes($posted_post), stripslashes($posted_thetopic));

replace with
//add_search_words($posted_id, stripslashes($posted_post), stripslashes($posted_thetopic));
Pages: [1] 2 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Converters  |  Infopop to Yabbse « previous - next »