Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 03, 2024, 07:17:21 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  How safe is YaBB SE « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Poll
Question: How safe is YaBB SE
I think it's very hard to hack into YaBB SE
I think it's harder to hack YaBB SE than most other boards
I think it's still too easy for a good hacker to hack YaBB SE
I think it's very easy to hack YaBB SE
It bugs me that YaBB SE is still so easy to hack
I don't know, but I fear it might be easy to hack YaBB SE

Author Topic: How safe is YaBB SE  (Read 5042 times)
girl

ICQ - 144746901 WWW
How safe is YaBB SE
« on: January 05, 2002, 04:42:12 AM »

This is one of my biggest questions at the moment. I've had trouble with hackers when I still had my YaBB Gold board. I thought it was safer to use a database-based board now, but I have no idea how safe YaBB SE will really be in the end. Opinions and information by some members would be appreciated. :)
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

Re:How safe is YaBB SE
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2002, 12:33:02 PM »

I don't know if anyone has really tried to hack int it yet...we've tried to do as many things as possible to combat issues (double encryption on passwords, we don't pass the password to your profile screen, etc).

I however never say anything is hack proof.  After all, the FBI and NASA can be hacked into ;)

Parham
Advisor
YaBB God

#!/usr/bin/perl

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2002, 05:20:48 PM »

well i'd say it's pretty damn safe.  Afterall, the entire thing was built from y1g and the developers fixed a whole lot of security issues with that.  It's been quite a while since the last complaint about a hack on a y1g, so i'm guessing that YabbSE is very secure. :D

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2002, 10:19:12 PM »

For those that say they fear it might still be easy, I'm wondering why they would say that...

Y1G is pretty secure these days and we also added more security to SE...

And what are we comparing it to?  

girl

ICQ - 144746901 WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2002, 12:37:48 AM »

I've had trouble with somebody hacking my Y1G. That person somehow made it possible to delete the content of my polls without actually deleting the whole poll. He just deleted the content, nothing else.

With the help of the errorlog-MOD I could also see that he tried to open my file polls.txt, but he didn't succeed. But that's the proof that he was trying to work on my polls.

I still don't know how he did that, I changed my password and all and had a very cryptic password. All I could do was just backing up the data and putting it back over and over again. And then I banned the person, but he logged in with several providers over and over again. He got on my nerves for 12 hours till I had made it to ban all his IPs.

I've really had a hard time with that person because of my polls. This is why I fear somebody might hack my stuff again. But I think YaBB SE must be safer now. The question just is for me - will it prevent people from finding new ways to destroy my board.

Till now I've had no trouble, but I've also not allowed guests to post on there till now. That's what I had done before. And it happened twice that way.
chris
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2002, 03:44:00 PM »

Quote from: girl on January 06, 2002, 12:37:48 AMI've had trouble with somebody hacking my Y1G. That person somehow made it possible to delete the content of my polls without actually deleting the whole poll. He just deleted the content, nothing else.

Y1G? Polls? so the Polls-Mod is insecure... not YaBB ;-)

And the SE-Polls are working totally different than the old Polls-Mod...
girl

ICQ - 144746901 WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2002, 03:58:53 PM »

Can you tell me how I can make it possible that guests can vote only once in my poll when I put my vote-code onto another board?

I often made a poll on my board, opened it for guests, and then took the source-code and put it on another board. People on the other board could make a choice on the other board and then submit their vote to my board. After that a window opened, and they could look at the results on my board.

But there was no cookie set on their computer then, so they could vote over and over again.

Is it possible to maybe track their IPs for a specific poll to stop them from voting several times?

I see in YaBB 1 Gold it made a list of the IPs, but that didn't prevent people from taking part in the poll again.

I'd really like to have a solution for this, because that's also how I promoted my old board, but people just always faked my polls that way.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2002, 04:06:05 PM by girl » Logged
ejdmoo

Moo!

ICQ - 110486522 WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2002, 09:14:32 PM »

Chances are, if someone hacked into a copy (un-modded) of YaBB 1 Gold (or SP1), then they can probably hack into any board you have up.  The reason is that a lot of the time they just somehow (a lot of times through other accounts on the same server who are less secure) actually get ftp access of one kind or another.

Those are my two cents :)
girl

ICQ - 144746901 WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2002, 10:30:37 PM »

Yes, I have the impression somebody entered my board that way. Because that person just tried to access my files. I watched that using the error-log-MOD in Y1G.
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  How safe is YaBB SE « previous - next »