Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 03, 2024, 05:04:01 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  YaBB SE Installation & other stuff « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: YaBB SE Installation & other stuff  (Read 2738 times)
Lance
Noobie

YaBB SE Installation & other stuff
« on: December 30, 2001, 03:17:03 AM »

Just my 2ยข.

YaBB SE is a very complete forum. The port from YaBB to SE was a success. Though I haven't played with the Admin section of SE, the user experiance is very much the same, but faster.   ;)

The installation of YaBB could be improved, but it wasn't too bad, and it's actually pretty standard for most forums. I would rate iB pretty much the same for ease of installation. SE on the other hand. I was very displeased with the release. It came with ZERO documentation. This is not a slam, I realize there's online support, but IMO, standard install instrcution should be included. I would be more than happy to provide additional feedback, but I really think I'm just going to get slammed for my opinion, but you asked for the feedback.

After fumbling with SE today, I decided to try another forum, OpenBB, and though it isn't as feature rich on the user side, the installation was a breeze. The admin section is a dream after working with other boards.

I hope things work out well for YaBB SE in future releases. PHP and SQL are definately the way to go right now for portability and speed.
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

Re:YaBB SE Installation & other stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2001, 04:07:13 AM »

Yes, unfortunately, not packaging the help files was a complete oversight, I mean we have some and they are there (in fact the zip has been posted for download on the site).

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated, at least yours is constructive compared to others ;)

Lance
Noobie

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2001, 04:44:08 AM »

Maybe it's just late, but I don't see any help files posted for download on the download section or on any news postings.
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2001, 04:47:11 AM »

From the News From Dev Team board and thread entitled For Those Missing Help Files:

http://www.yabb.info/community/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=3246;start=0

Lance
Noobie

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2001, 05:44:43 AM »

Sorry, we must be having a communication problem, those were help files for users on "How to" for the site, not installation instructions that might include what to chmod, maybe some brief MySQL info, and any other helpful insite that would aid in installing the forums.

Again, I'm sure it's real easy to do, but I had weird errors installing and my final install had No images, though I did specify the correct path during install, and when I logged in (yes I actually created the admin account), it went to a standard IE 'page not found' page.
Razgo

Dance with the Beat

ICQ - 144284881 WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2001, 10:18:19 AM »

sounds like the paths may not have been correct.

check these pics out I posted in this thread to see if it's any help. maybe someone could use them in the FAQ section?

http://www.yabb.info/community/index.php?board=132;action=display;threadid=3061;start=30

Michael
YaBB God

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\, n. - See recursion.

ICQ - 47769041mrtorrent@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2001, 06:34:37 PM »

I, too, was a bit miffed at the lack of documentation, due to not having much experience with mySQL, but after installing a copy of mySQL locally, I was able to grasp all the concepts. Most users, however, shouldn't have much of a problem. The installation is very intuitive, quick, and easy. In conclusion, I love it. ;D

As I said, though, the mySQL area seems to be (from my point of view) the only thing people would have trouble with, but unless they're running their own server and can install mySQL themselves, it boils down to this: they have mySQL installed and running, or they don't.

~ Michael ~
--------------
The MikeCam
I went to the Net and all I got was this stupid tagline.
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  YaBB SE Installation & other stuff « previous - next »