Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 06, 2024, 09:44:16 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  English Help  |  major problem with my board. pls Help! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: major problem with my board. pls Help!  (Read 10015 times)
Douglas
aka The Bear
Support Team
YaBB God

Bears rule! Llamas rule too!

Re:major problem with my board. pls Help!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2003, 10:01:29 PM »

Bug your host to get your PHP upgraded.  At the very least, 4.1.0 is needed to run YSE.

Need help? Please SEARCH first.  No need for a bad attitude, we like helping positive minded people.
ComeHit.us Short URL  redirection svcs with YSE powered forums, COMING SOON!
Want to say thanks?  Check out http://comehit.us/?u=3
karpatho
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2003, 10:42:40 PM »

Quote from: Douglas on September 28, 2003, 10:01:29 PM
Bug your host to get your PHP upgraded.  At the very least, 4.1.0 is needed to run YSE.

Getting my host to upgrade will take a long time, I need my forum up and running ASAP so how can I get yabbse 1.4.x back up and running?
Peter Duggan
Llama Chameleon
Global Moderator
YaBB God

You come and go...

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2003, 11:39:53 PM »

If you've kept a copy of your 1.4.1 database (*before* upgrading), you could reinstall 1.4.1 and import that, but bear in mind that:

1. The 1.5.4 database won't work with 1.4.1.
2. 1.4.1 is an insecure version, which is probably why you were upgrading in the first place.

Pressurising your host to upgrade their PHP is really a better plan in every way, and there's no reason why that should take a long time if they're any good (although I'd still be asking myself why they haven't done so already)!

karpatho
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2003, 12:22:41 AM »

I have not backed up prior to upgrading to 1.5.4. so going back to 1.4.1 will not be an option???

If I have my database in 1.5.4 format is their another forum program like phpbb that I can convert to?

Asking my host to upgrade will take a while and if they do it... I need my forum up and running. Already I'm down a day and my users are emailing.

Please, why dos'nt the 1.5.4 upgrade script check the php version and provide a warning so that I could of  prevented this problem.  ???  ???  ???

Douglas
aka The Bear
Support Team
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2003, 12:50:47 AM »

Actually, it's been the requirement that PHP be on 4.1.0 for some time, I believe.

Anyways, if your host won't upgrade, then you need to get yourself onto a host that's fairly current (4.3.2 is the best route to go, personally.

If you need my personal recommendations for a host (people that have tried and proven YSE capable systems), let me know, I'll locate that one thread for ya.

Need help? Please SEARCH first.  No need for a bad attitude, we like helping positive minded people.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2003, 01:35:51 AM »

I hope you aren't paying for a host that gives you only PHP 3.x.  I definitely wouldn't.

Give me their email address and I'll shout at 'em.

-[Unknown]
karpatho
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2003, 01:55:38 AM »

No.. the version that they are running is PHP Version 4.0.6 and personally I dont think that yabbse 1.5.4 does not run with this version since 1.4.1 runs... ???

Anyway, I need a solution to get my FORUM up and running. So here is my game plan and will need some help.

I'm going to do a clean install of yabbse 1.4.1 to a new databse. next once it works I'm going to import the data to the new database. How hard is this to do (I've never worked with sql)? can it be done?

any better suggestions?

I cant get my host to upgrade so my only choice is going back to 1.4.1.

Thanks....
Douglas
aka The Bear
Support Team
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2003, 02:04:27 AM »

It won't work.  1.5x changed the database structure, and there's no easy way to revert back to it.  1.4.1 is HIGHLY insecure and opens up your entire web site, and possibly even the server to being hacked.  This is why whenever we see ANYONE on a 1.4x version we inform them to upgrade ASAP.

If your host won't upgrade their PHP, then all I can do is suggest that you locate another host ASAP.  My offer still stands on that...

You COULD take [Unknown]'s wonderful offer and see if that helps...

Shadow's Pawn
Support Team
YaBB God

ich soll nicht toten

ICQ - 8039201shadowpawn@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2003, 02:05:39 AM »

If you can't get your host to upgrade, you need to ask for your money back.  Why pay for a host that is a total piece of crap when you can get a better host for the same price (if not cheaper)?

Upgrading PHP is a quick job... like maybe fifteen minutes.  They should be able to handle that if they want to keep their customers.

apologize \A*pol"o*gize\, v. i. - To lay the foundation for a future offense.
karpatho
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2003, 03:12:59 PM »

Ok, I spoke to my host and they will upgrade me to a newer server that has php 4.3.x and imagemagik... it will cost $15 +$50 for them to copy the data. I can save on the $50 and do it my self, basically back up the data and ftp back to the new server. Should I do this myself? does ftping cause issues with directory and file right? how much troubleshooting will I need? What would you recomment for your past experiences?

In addition, is it time to switch to NT host server or stick with unix since I'm in the process of changing?

currently i'm paying $20 per month getting 500mb space. this deal I got back in 1999 and probaly I cannot get it any where else. Is there a better deal out there.

I know this is a bit out of topic but anything to get my Forum up and running as smoothly as possible with future growth.

Thanks again...  ;)
Douglas
aka The Bear
Support Team
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2003, 03:22:42 PM »

Wow, that's a bit high.  I'm gonna have plans that are a bit higher than that, but you get more space too.

Stay with Unix/Linux.  Trust me that'll save you a lot of work later on down the line.

I'm a little stunned by your hosting company's actions, so forgive me if I don't think too highly of them for not maintaining their existing clients/servers a bit better.  The transferring stuff, I could understand, but not the increased cost.  I make sure that my clients have access to at least one or two steps back from the current release of different products...

Anyways, FTP stuff over, just make sure you transfer any .js, .php .xml and .lng files in ASCII mode.  Any images needs to be done in Binary mode.  Also, pay attention to file permissions, you can check the FAQ thread for "How do I make my site safe against hackers?", which gives you all the file permissions you need.

Shadow's Pawn
Support Team
YaBB God

ich soll nicht toten

ICQ - 8039201shadowpawn@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2003, 09:25:28 PM »

If you host is charging $20 a month for 500 megs of space, they should be giving you the upgrade for free.  You can get a host with 800 megs of space, a ton of bandwitdh and 99.9% uptime guarentee for the same price.. plus the host I'm talking about has current versions of php and mysql for no extra charge.

You should be firm with your host.  I've found that if you tell them straight out that you can get a better deal elsewhere, they are usually willing to cut you a deal.

apologize \A*pol"o*gize\, v. i. - To lay the foundation for a future offense.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2003, 10:50:39 PM »

Re: You thinking YaBB SE 1.5.4 should work just because YaBB SE 1.4.1 did.

I am one of the people whose code went into YaBB SE 1.5.4.  I should know that it will not work.  It uses functions that were not available in PHP 4.0.6.

Sorry.

-[Unknown]
karpatho
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2003, 07:40:06 PM »

Finally my forum is upand running with 1.5.4. The end result was that my HOST move my account to a newer server that had php 4.3.x and some other goodies.

Well after having my forum up and running I noticed that in the Admin section, under detail version check it gave me a list of modules which have different version 1.5.4 some are 1.5.2 and others are 1.5.1. Is this nornall? Should they all be 1.5.4?

Moreover, is it possible to do a clean install of 1.5.4 with the existing database? It seems that in doing the upgrade I lost me CHAT model and all I want to do is strat fresh with each model.

Thanks!
Peter Duggan
Llama Chameleon
Global Moderator
YaBB God

You come and go...

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2003, 08:53:17 PM »

Quote from: karpatho on October 01, 2003, 07:40:06 PM
Finally my forum is upand running with 1.5.4. The end result was that my HOST move my account to a newer server that had php 4.3.x and some other goodies.

Sounds like progress!  :)

QuoteWell after having my forum up and running I noticed that in the Admin section, under detail version check it gave me a list of modules which have different version 1.5.4 some are 1.5.2 and others are 1.5.1. Is this nornall? Should they all be 1.5.4?

No, that's fine! Many files weren't changed at all between these versions.

QuoteMoreover, is it possible to do a clean install of 1.5.4 with the existing database? It seems that in doing the upgrade I lost me CHAT model and all I want to do is strat fresh with each model.

Yes, but you'll need to back up your database first and reimport it through phpMyAdmin after the install. I'd also recommend downloading your existing Settings.php and template.php (if you've made any changes to it) by FTP and keeping these for reference.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 08:54:05 PM by Peter Duggan » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  English Help  |  major problem with my board. pls Help! « previous - next »