Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 04, 2024, 10:51:28 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  mysql_master_slave mod « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: mysql_master_slave mod  (Read 3989 times)
mtu1380
Noobie

I'm a llama!

mysql_master_slave mod
« on: January 05, 2004, 10:58:55 PM »

YaBBSE can support MySQL replication if it can be configured to use a master mysql server for writes only and a slave mysql server for reads.  This way we can speed up YaBBSE even more.

Why need this?  Even if we had multpile virtual servers running YaBBSE, they all have to connect to one mysql server (the master server in a mysql replication) because YaBBSE uses the same server for writes as well as reads.  So now the bottleneck is in the mysql queries.

Anybody up to this mod?  I'm quite interested in this mod.  Maybe it won't make much of a difference to most people. But lets say that it is cool to have this feature.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
Re:mysql_master_slave mod
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 07:22:11 AM »

This would be a lot easier for SMF, actually. (when it's released.)

-[Unknown]
Anguz
YaBB God

llama me?!

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 06:53:21 AM »

Quote from: [Unknown] on January 06, 2004, 07:22:11 AM
This would be a lot easier for SMF, actually. (when it's released.)

-[Unknown]

what would be the advantage of something like this?
can it be done with a regular webhost? or do you need a special kind?

My Mods: Avatar & Sig Size Control, No Show Msg Subject, Msg URL Composer, Built-in Avatar Rand, Built-in Sig Rand, Remove New-lines Excess, Show All Stars, Search Bar, Smart URLs
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 12:29:35 AM »

Well, the basic idea is that it's easier and faster to read than to write.

The slave servers would store data, but only be able to read.  They would be able to select data from the database at a good speed.... and only have to figure out how to optimize select queries.

The master would deal with write queries. (update, alter, delete, replace, etc.)  It would take care of the implications of a query (as in which rows it affects and how..) and then communicate this information to the other servers. (this is known as replication.)

There are a few problems with this.  First off, replication is currently sorta buggy even in the latest release of MySQL 4.  They are fixing more bugs with it every release, so I expect it will be stable soon... but it's not yet imho.

Second, all queries have to be sent to the proper server.  This means SELECT/SHOW queries should be sent to the slave, and others should be sent to master.

This would greatly optimize things, however, since you could have more than one slave to take up the load of SELECTs. (which are the most common type of query usually anyway...)

-[Unknown]
Anguz
YaBB God

llama me?!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 03:38:40 AM »

ah ok... thank you for the explanation... let's hope it happens soon then

when you're talking about the master/slave servers, are they physical or just different copies of the program running?

My Mods: Avatar & Sig Size Control, No Show Msg Subject, Msg URL Composer, Built-in Avatar Rand, Built-in Sig Rand, Remove New-lines Excess, Show All Stars, Search Bar, Smart URLs
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 04:17:56 AM »

Physically different servers...

-[Unknown]
Anguz
YaBB God

llama me?!

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 05:26:35 AM »

thanks

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Mod Ideas and Creation  |  mysql_master_slave mod « previous - next »