Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 27, 2024, 01:50:48 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Completed mods  |  [Beta 1.4.1] PacMan Bug Fixes/Enhancements v0.9b « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: [Beta 1.4.1] PacMan Bug Fixes/Enhancements v0.9b  (Read 2621 times)
Jack.R.Abbit
Mod Team
YaBB God

RACE FOR SPENT!

[Beta 1.4.1] PacMan Bug Fixes/Enhancements v0.9b
« on: October 22, 2002, 05:30:33 PM »

Even though there are some issues with the Package Manager (PacMan) that need a serious rework of the system, there are a few minor issues that can be dealt with now.  This mod makes a few changes to the Packages.php file to fix two of them.

1) There is a bug that sent PacMan into an endless loop if you tried to use some of the Mod Info Tags.  With this mod you will now be able to use the <id|version|author|email|homepage|info|approved> tags in your YabbPak Mod files.

2) There is a bug in the Mod Parser that when your mod file has more than one [block] that is exactly the same, they would all get removed when it reached the first one.  Example: your mod file has a search block for "Some random text"  but you need to search in two different .php files.  After the parser takes care of the first one, it removes that block from its memory, but it removes all of them.  So when you hit the next .php file, that search block is not there.  With this mod you will be able to do that.

Updates:
10/24/02 - It also makes it possible to use a BoardMod.mod file in a YaBBpak.  Rather than you needing to convert the BoardMod tags to PacMan tags, PacMan will understand them as if they were native PacMan tags.  Just rename the "BoardMod.mod" file to "modification.mod" and use it as a PacMan mod file.  If a BoardMod package uses a .php file to make database changes, it may still need to be translated.

pacmanfix.mod.yp - updated 10/24/02
pacmanfix.zip - updated 10/24/02

Hopefully this works for everybody, as I would like to start putting this extended info into my YabbPaks.  Here is a test mod to test the PacManFix mod.  testmod.mod.yp.  This mod will fail before you apply the PacManFix mod but should work just fine after.  But it does not do anything.

Enjoy!

I should mention that be sure to back up your data before applying this, or any, mod.  As it is still in beta, I can offer no guarantee.  Everything I post works fine in my YaBB installation but your milage may vary.

-Jack
« Last Edit: October 24, 2002, 11:51:48 PM by Jack.R.Abbit » Logged

<--------  Mods by Jack  -------->
Package Server: http://www.modsbydesign.com/mods.by.jack/yabbse/ (now serving)

|----------------------------------------------|
|                                              |
|          DON'T PM ME FOR SUPPORT!             |
Jack.R.Abbit
Mod Team
YaBB God

RACE FOR SPENT!

Re:[Beta 1.4.1] PacMan Bug Fixes/Enhancements v0.9b
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2002, 11:53:54 PM »

I have updated this mod as well as the test mod to test it.  Please see first post.  Is any one even interested in this?  I personally like the way PacMan works, but it just needs to be tweeked here and there.  I would like to here soem feedback on this.

Thanks,

-Jack

Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2002, 11:15:40 PM »

I never knew these bugs existed :)  Nobody ever likes to tell me when there are bugs in things that i write...

I'll check this mod out and make sure I like it ;) Anyhow... looks good.

Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2002, 11:29:09 PM »

OH, and what issues need a complete rework?

Nemesis
What's an Admin?
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2002, 02:29:37 AM »

Just so you guys know Matt Siegman helped developed and fix / changed the pacman. Not his fault we broke it upgrading 1.4.+.  ;D

Want to say thanks?
DONATE or check out my WishList
Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2002, 05:01:28 AM »

Quote from: Nemesis on October 27, 2002, 02:29:37 AMJust so you guys know Matt Siegman helped developed and fix / changed the pacman. Not his fault we broke it upgrading 1.4.+.  ;D

It could NEVER be my fault ;)
I personally liked it more before they put in all those smilies and crap... and took out the logo i made for it ;D

Jack.R.Abbit
Mod Team
YaBB God

RACE FOR SPENT!

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2002, 05:45:36 AM »

Quote from: Matt Siegman on October 26, 2002, 11:29:09 PMOH, and what issues need a complete rework?

Not any one issue.... But....

a)It gets confused a lot as to whether a mod is installed or not.  If you do a test install but then don't apply it after the test, it still registers it as installed.  And I think if you test unistall and then actually uninstall, it still does not remove it from the list.  Things like that.

b)  When installing a mod, it tells you there is a text file to read and then gives you the link to read... no choice... what about a skip? Same with the php file for DB changes... all you can do is run it...  no skip... or view what you are about to run before running it... since you don't really get any choices, PacMan might as well just do it and tell you after.

c) During install and uninstall (both regular and test) you displays step by step what it is doing and if it found or not found the search string but at the end it does not sum it all up... it does says that if everything was found then you are good to go.   Some mods might make  half a dozen changes in 5 different files... its kind of a pain to scroll through the whole thing looking for not found

d)  Because of the way it handles the mod files, you can't completely delete a line and still have the option to uninstall later.  Ithink that can not be solved unless things were completely rethought... perhaps not even then. ;)

Thats all that comes back to mind right now... I may think of something else later.  I have mentioned it before...I like PacMan...  I've never tried BoardMod so I can't compare.

-Jack

Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2002, 09:47:41 PM »

ok, I'll see what I can do :)

I'm gonna install your mod and then work on those bugs and hand out the source :)

oh, and if a mod takes out a line, it cannot be reinstalled.  
The PacMan searches for the string you used to replace stuff, and replaces that with the original.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2002, 09:52:44 PM by Matt Siegman » Logged

Jack.R.Abbit
Mod Team
YaBB God

RACE FOR SPENT!

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2002, 05:05:22 AM »

Quote from: Matt Siegman on October 27, 2002, 09:47:41 PMok, I'll see what I can do :)

I'm gonna install your mod and then work on those bugs and hand out the source :)
Thanks Matt.  I'm just gald I could be of some use...and hope that I've not offended anybody. ;)

Quote from: Matt Siegman on October 27, 2002, 09:47:41 PMoh, and if a mod takes out a line, it cannot be reinstalled.  
The PacMan searches for the string you used to replace stuff, and replaces that with the original.
I figured as much based on my own tests.  There are a few cases where this type of replacement can cause trouble during an uninstall... I experienced this during an uninstall of this mod... since I replace $file2 with $file (to fix the extra iinfo tag endless loop problem) on install... an uninstall will likely replace ALL instances of $file with $file2 in an attempt to return it to original state.. which would of course be wrong.

-Jack

Matt Siegman
Super Duper Developer
YaBB God

Red Hot!

ICQ - 95930457 WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2002, 06:33:13 PM »

no offense taken :)

no, theoretically it would put it everywhere where there is a line break :)

I may make a special part to PacMan to help avoid that in these latest revisions I'm doing.... shouldn't be too hard :)

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Completed mods  |  [Beta 1.4.1] PacMan Bug Fixes/Enhancements v0.9b « previous - next »