Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19, 2024, 04:03:49 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Completed mods  |  [Beta 1.4.1] Topic Summary Mod 1.0 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: [Beta 1.4.1] Topic Summary Mod 1.0  (Read 2832 times)
snYpir

I'm a llama!

[Beta 1.4.1] Topic Summary Mod 1.0
« on: September 03, 2002, 07:38:05 AM »

Topic Summary Mod for YaBB SE 1.4.1

by snYpir ([email protected])

Version 1.0

This mod allows forum members to view a summary of a given thread (topic) in a popup window, from the message index.

Features

• Minimum mouse-clicking on the part of the user thanks to JavaScript linking the message index and the popup summary window.

• You can reply, reply with quote, modify, open thread and instant message posters from within the topic summary.

• A check box on the post and modify message pages allows members to go straight back to the message index and topic summary pages (skipping the display and loading of the actual thread).

Compatibility

May conflict on install with mods that make changes to MessageIndex.php, ModifyMessage.php or RemoveThread.php. If you experience a conflict on install, let me know (provide me with the exact details of the conflict) and I'll write a fix for you.

Once installed, there should be no conflicts.

History

1.0 - Initial release

Installation

• Upload image files to your YaBBse\YaBBImages directory.

• Use boardmod to install topicsummary.mod. Upload the modified files and ViewSummary.php to your server.

Useage

Click on a 'Topic Summary' icon in the message index to view a summary of a topic. A popup window will open, and the summary will be displayed. You can then reply, reply with quote, IM, or modify any message within the summary.

Note that when a button/icon is clicked, the summary window will close and the parent window (displaying the message index) will perform the requested operation. Note that you can open the normal display (starting at a given message) by clicking on the '>>'

After replying to or modifying a message, check the 'Return to summary' checkbox to return to the message index and topic summary popup after the message is saved. Leave unchecked to return to the thread display as normal.

Download

Download the mod here. View a screenshot (link down).

Comments

This mod is a blatent rip-off of the code that the YaBB SE dudes use to display the topic summary when replying to messages. I took that code, and made it available from the message index via a popup window.

The further additions (reply, reply with quote etc.) were then added at the request of forum members. The idea is that this summary mod speeds up the whole forum browsing process, and people never have to view the conventional thread display if they don't want to.

If you have previously installed the UnDelete mod, simply install this straight over the top, and re-upload ViewSummary.php. It is fully backward compatible, so to speak (the UnDelete mod uses ViewSummary.php to view te contents of deleted messages).

If you have installed both the UnDelete and Topic Summary mods, you can open up index.php and remove one of the duplicate lines:

'else if ($action == 'view_summary') { include_once "$sourcedir/ViewSummary.php"; ViewSummary();'

And also open english.lng and delete one of the duplicate chunks of code under '// Topic Summary Mod'.

Note that you don't have too, because the two mods will work fine when one is installed over the top of the other!

I'd like to thank the guys who made the add more smilies mod, because i used their grab code to pull the template.php style sheet for the popup window.

Future additions will be some settings in 'Mod Settings' (such as variable popup window size), and additonal features replicating normal thread display functionality.

Please let me know how you would like me to improve this mod, either graphically or feature-wise.

Please make comments or suggestions here (preferred) or email me.

One more thing: At the moment I am using the following image in the message index that launches the topic summary:

It is sorta lame I know, so if anyone has a better icon please email it to me at [email protected]. Also I am trying to figure out the best place to put the icon on the message index. If you have any suggestions please also let me know ;)

This mod is in the very early just released BETA stage! It works fine on my board, but please let me know how it goes for you, so i can remove the BETA status.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2002, 07:50:54 AM by snYpir » Logged

Check out:
  • Enhanced Ban
  • Collapsable YaBB
  • UnDelete
  • Topic Solved
  • Topic Summary
Horseman
YaBB God

'MAS VALE CABALLO QUE CAUDAL!'

ICQ - 44729151 WWW
Re:[Beta 1.4.1] Topic Summary Mod 1.0
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2002, 12:29:07 PM »

it works fine  :D
i make a translation for german users.
thanks for this great mod!!

best regards
horseman
Koth

Your mother was a ham sandwich.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2002, 03:26:00 PM »

Ok for some reason ALL my text settings are set to white but the text shows as black :'(  Which doesnt really work with the back ground I use.  Which setting is the text body output linked to in my YaBBse?

Secondly I want to reduce it to only grab the first 15 or 20 posts is there an incoperated way of doing this?

Horseman
YaBB God

'MAS VALE CABALLO QUE CAUDAL!'

ICQ - 44729151 WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2002, 03:54:31 PM »

the mod grabs background and other colors and formatting out you css settings -> template.php

edit this ccs line:
BODY          {font-family: Comic Sans MS; font-size:10px; margin:0; padding: 0; SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR: #663300; SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #FEC254; background-color: #FAE4CF;}
and make the body TAG blank <body>
snYpir

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2002, 09:16:57 PM »

QuoteOk for some reason ALL my text settings are set to white but the text shows as black   Which doesnt really work with the back ground I use.  Which setting is the text body output linked to in my YaBBse?
Horseman is on the money ;)

QuoteSecondly I want to reduce it to only grab the first 15 or 20 posts is there an incoperated way of doing this?
no. if it is requested by more people i'll add it in :-*

Check out:
  • Enhanced Ban
  • Collapsable YaBB
  • UnDelete
  • Topic Solved
  • Topic Summary
Bossy Boots
Noobie

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2002, 02:07:51 PM »

snYpir

I like this mod it's neat. But I am sorry I cn't overly see the benefit of it.  The additional windows opening all the time will cause problems to peoples computers and from what I see they really may as well just click on the main link.

I'd like to suggest a similar mod may be of better use. It actually comes from YABB Gold.
When posting or modify a message you can put in a brief summary of the message type, this also came with an admin variable of mesage summary length. I had my set to 60 characters it worked really well and kept things neat and tidy.
I wish I could create this for yabbse but I just don't have that kind of knowledge, do you?
The mod name "thread_summary_sp1"
<author>
BHRA Webmaster
</author>

<homepage>
http://www.bhra.org.uk
</homepage>

be really great if someone could recreate for Yabbse.
snYpir

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2002, 08:11:17 AM »

this mod was a spin - off from the undelete mod, which used it to display deleted messages.

Check out:
  • Enhanced Ban
  • Collapsable YaBB
  • UnDelete
  • Topic Solved
  • Topic Summary
Eloya

Magistrat

nschunter@eloya.net WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 08:07:12 PM »

I have following problem - the new window opens and it states:

2: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource
(/home/www/web1/html/Sources/ViewSummary.php ln 39)

This is:

while ( list ($msgid,$subject,$message,$tempname,$tempdate,$es,$aname,$asize) = mysql_fetch_row($request) )
I've installed the Solved Topic, Show Attachments in Message Index Mod before. Just changed the line from your Mod - File to suit the Attachment - Mod from:

<td class="windowbg" valign="middle" width="48%" bgcolor="$color[windowbg]"><table width="100%"><tr><td align="left" width="95%"><font size="2"><a href="$cgi;action=display;threadid=$mnum">$msub</a> $new $pages</font></td><td align="right" width="5%">$topic_summary</td></tr></table></td>
to:

<td class="windowbg" valign="middle" width="48%" bgcolor="$color[windowbg]"><table width="100%"><tr><td align="left" width="95%"><font size="2"><a href="$cgi;action=display;threadid=$mnum">$msub</a> $attach $new $pages</font></td><td align="right" width="5%">$topic_summary</td></tr></table></td>
It won't work. Any idea?

Yours,

Nico

"Der Unterschied zwischen Magie und Alltag ist die Betrachtungsweise!"
http://www.travar.de
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Completed mods  |  [Beta 1.4.1] Topic Summary Mod 1.0 « previous - next »