Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12, 2024, 12:57:41 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Why should I go with yaBB? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Why should I go with yaBB?  (Read 3083 times)
tom4stir
Noobie

I'm a llama!

Why should I go with yaBB?
« on: July 24, 2003, 11:21:55 PM »

I can't decide between phpBB or yaBB. I know that most people here will be bias, but what are the main selling fratures of yaBB, that you can't get in any other forum?

Is it true that it is the easiest forum to customize? And is it true that you can edit the thing you have to click "I agree" to when you register? (How easy/hard would it be?)

Also how easy is installation comapre to other forums?

Thanks  :)

Edit: What is the "Karma"?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 11:31:03 PM by tom4stir » Logged
Douglas
aka The Bear
Support Team
YaBB God

Bears rule! Llamas rule too!

Re:Why should I go with yaBB?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 11:48:47 PM »

QuoteI can't decide between phpBB or yaBB. I know that most people here will be bias, but what are the main selling fratures of yaBB, that you can't get in any other forum?
Faster support here than on any site I've seen (which is why I'm proud to be a member of the support team).  A ton of hacks available, and we're a great community.  I've received a LOT of personal support here from the Devel and Admin teams due to the very large site that I JUST converted over, and I am truly humbled by their help and kindness.

Oh, and did I mention fast response times?

[Edit] Okay, so I was a little slower.  I digress, 27 minutes isn't too shabby, though.[/Edit]

QuoteIs it true that it is the easiest forum to customize? And is it true that you can edit the thing you have to click "I agree" to when you register? (How easy/hard would it be?)
Pretty easy, and going to get even easier on the next release.  Yes, you can also change the Registration Agreement form via the Admin's area.  VERY easy to do.

QuoteAlso how easy is installation comapre to other forums?
Depends on if your server is running in safe mode or not.  If it's not running in safemode, the actual installation should be about three minutes or less, securing your forums afterwards is a bit longer.  Upload two files, call up one of them, follow the directions and that's pretty much it.  Safe mode installations are a bit more time consuming, however, there's less security work after the installation is done.

QuoteEdit: What is the "Karma"?
Like Cheering and Jeering people, or positive and negative points.  People can issue them (if Admins allow it).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 11:49:35 PM by Douglas » Logged

Need help? Please SEARCH first.  No need for a bad attitude, we like helping positive minded people.
ComeHit.us Short URL  redirection svcs with YSE powered forums, COMING SOON!
Want to say thanks?  Check out http://comehit.us/?u=3
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 12:19:11 AM »

Also, just for nuts.... there's YaBB and there's YaBB SE.  You'll probably hear things like...

- YaBB or YaBB SE uses flatfile.  (this is not true, only YaBB uses flatfile, YaBB SE is much faster.)
- YaBB or YaBB SE has more security holes than most other forums.  (also incorrect, phpBB probably has the most but people think vulnerabilities when they hear the name YaBB.)

And other such things.  There are many preconceptions between "YaBB" and "YaBB SE" although they are, by now, very different monsters.

Personally, I think the biggest thing is the way topics are marked as "new" or not.  In phpBB, topics since your last visit are new.  In YaBB SE (and the original YaBB...) topics are new until you have actually read them.  This means that if you visit and come back later, topics you didn't read on the first visit are still left as new.

It is much a matter of choice.  You could try them both and see which you like.  Or, you could look here to see what others have chosen... (this question has been posted at least three other times that I remember.)

Plus, you get support that gets, quite frankly, a lot of kudos as far as response time.

Also, in case you like to hear there's progress (I'm gonna get chastized, I go on about the upcoming version too much already :P.) you'll be glad to hear that the next version is coming along smoothly and has a LOT of changes.  So.. stay tuned.  Even if you pick phpBB - for now.  (although, personally, I wouldn't - but, I AM a developer for YaBB SE... so I am very biased.)

Lastly, don't worry - you'll get less biased answers too ;).

-[Unknown]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 12:19:38 AM by [Unknown] » Logged
tom4stir
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 12:25:10 AM »

Thanks for the responses!  ;D

When is the new version planned to be out? A month or two? Is it hard to upgrade to a new version, or the same as installing it for the first time?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 12:25:39 AM by tom4stir » Logged
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 12:28:46 AM »

The upgrade is pretty easy.  And.. it currently works pretty well... I know Compuart was testing it on a database with 500,000 posts...

So, if you install 1.5.x now, and then upgrade... it should be painless ;).

Edit: Darn, 3 minutes... should have typed faster... ;D.

-[Unknown]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 12:29:28 AM by [Unknown] » Logged
tom4stir
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 12:44:28 AM »

Hmmm, three min. Very dissapointing.  ;)

Now I know that you must hate when people ask this, but I can't help myself.  :-X

Do you have any idea when they will be out? Even very vague? Less than 2 or three months?
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 12:47:27 AM »

Not telling.

Llamas die when you ask... Poor llamas... there aren't that many left anymore :'(.

-[Unknown]
HyperDev

Have drumsticks, will travel.

gtcproject@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 01:00:56 AM »

Save The Llamas! Save The Llamas! Save the---

I definitely would choose YaBB SE over other software. A new user to BBS stuff set up IPB and it took him two hours to figure out how to even get in the access panel (that wouldn't happen with YaBB SE  :D).

And did I mention that YaBB SE is the only forum software that realizes the horrible fate coming to the poor, poor llamas?  :(

--JC

HyperDev Admin

Will drum for food TO PISS GIRLS OFF! (Only reason I'd do anything.)

Proud Member of HHS Drumline

Mach8 and [Unknown], I still don't know how you convinced me girls aren't evil.

And please, SAVE THE LLAMAS!!!
Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 05:25:21 AM »

just try the current version first, then upgrade when the new one is out ;)

My mods, ysePak, codes, tutorials
    Support question IMs = bad.
Douglas
aka The Bear
Support Team
YaBB God

Bears rule! Llamas rule too!

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 06:03:32 AM »

And check my "Bragging rights" thread, if you want even MORE proof about YSE.  :D

Need help? Please SEARCH first.  No need for a bad attitude, we like helping positive minded people.
ComeHit.us Short URL  redirection svcs with YSE powered forums, COMING SOON!
Want to say thanks?  Check out http://comehit.us/?u=3
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Why should I go with yaBB? « previous - next »