Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 26, 2024, 02:56:29 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  Version 1.4 is released! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Version 1.4 is released!  (Read 56413 times)
Hypocrite
YaBB God

For To End Yet Again

dimmuh@gmx.net WWW
Re:Version 1.4 is released!
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2002, 06:01:07 PM »

Quote from: Jedi~ on June 06, 2002, 05:46:25 PMQuote bug maybe?

Ermm... what happened to download.php?

Seems like a quote bug, I removed the other quote and fixed it.

(This board seems to be acting weird now. I submitted this reply just now and it doesn't show it. Neither did it show your reply Jedi~ at first. Now it shows it. Probably gonna see my first reply when I post this...)
Hypocrite
YaBB God

For To End Yet Again

dimmuh@gmx.net WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2002, 06:03:09 PM »

What the hell is happening... I just posted twice and the first post didn't show up first. Then after I posted again they both showed up. I removed the first post and now I can't see either one...?

Edit:
Ok, now I see them correctly... weird.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2002, 06:03:49 PM by Hypocrite » Logged
Nossie

If it aint broke, you haven't played with it enuff

ICQ - 18967293IanHarvie@Hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2002, 06:15:16 PM »

Quote from: Hypocrite on June 06, 2002, 05:31:40 PMAs for the URL tag I think that you can't compare an URL link to an E-mail link. If the URL/E-mail address is conceiled behind a "click here" you can still see the address by just clicking it.

I think what he is trying to say is that if you have a -click here- link then your favourite spam e-mail harvester cant come along and dredge your message board for e-mails....

hence one of the reasons why you need to be a member to view members info right ??

or maybe I'm poking a stick at the wrong animal   ::)

(\).

Hypocrite
YaBB God

For To End Yet Again

dimmuh@gmx.net WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2002, 06:20:17 PM »

Quote from: Nossie on June 06, 2002, 06:15:16 PM
Quote from: Hypocrite on June 06, 2002, 05:31:40 PMAs for the URL tag I think that you can't compare an URL link to an E-mail link. If the URL/E-mail address is conceiled behind a "click here" you can still see the address by just clicking it.

I think what he is trying to say is that if you have a -click here- link then your favourite spam e-mail harvester cant come along and dredge your message board for e-mails....

hence one of the reasons why you need to be a member to view members info right ??

or maybe I'm poking a stick at the wrong animal   ::)

(\).

Hmm, ok :P
Structuralist
Noobie

I love YaBB SE!

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2002, 06:32:31 PM »

Hypocrite (and others),
What I really meant was that many of my visitors have only very basic skills. They are amazed that they found my discussion forum from my website. It's hard to believe that Architects and Engineers are so computer illiterate, but the majority are and their evolution in learning and using these "tool" to improve productivity is taking a very long time. This includes the youngest who are graduating college and want to enter the "exciting"  :P world of structural engineering and who are the most likely to give up what they learned in school about computers to start out as apprentices working by pencil.

Most don't know how to right click, copy and paste. They make mistakes in manually copying a URL and E-mail addresses.  Using a concealed tag has nothing to do with trying to hide the address but has more to do with making the hyperlink to the next site or to send an e-mail as simple as "Click Here".  Everyone understands this and when their email editor launches, they tend to be surprised that they have done this.

It's not a learning process or a hiding process, but it is a tool to make transitions to sites and to sending useful information as easy as possible - a productivity tool.

You can argue that they can click on the e-mail address, but this requires some thought on their part and I want (as the original developer of the tag figured out) to make it simple (no real thought).

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I thought it needed more of an explanation. We want engineers to think about what he is putting in his email and not about the process of sending it. Hope this helps.
Hypocrite
YaBB God

For To End Yet Again

dimmuh@gmx.net WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2002, 06:36:43 PM »

Quote from: Structuralist on June 06, 2002, 06:32:31 PMHypocrite (and others),
What I really meant was that many of my visitors have only very basic skills. They are amazed that they found my discussion forum from my website. It's hard to believe that Architects and Engineers are so computer illiterate, but the majority are and their evolution in learning and using these "tool" to improve productivity is taking a very long time. This includes the youngest who are graduating college and want to enter the "exciting"  :P world of structural engineering and who are the most likely to give up what they learned in school about computers to start out as apprentices working by pencil.

Most don't know how to right click, copy and paste. They make mistakes in manually copying a URL and E-mail addresses.  Using a concealed tag has nothing to do with trying to hide the address but has more to do with making the hyperlink to the next site or to send an e-mail as simple as "Click Here".  Everyone understands this and when their email editor launches, they tend to be surprised that they have done this.

It's not a learning process or a hiding process, but it is a tool to make transitions to sites and to sending useful information as easy as possible - a productivity tool.

You can argue that they can click on the e-mail address, but this requires some thought on their part and I want (as the original developer of the tag figured out) to make it simple (no real thought).

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I thought it needed more of an explanation. We want engineers to think about what he is putting in his email and not about the process of sending it. Hope this helps.

I know what you are talking about. I also am running a site which has many users who are not very good with computers. Many of them know how to start up a computer and how to go to my site and thats about it. But usually when you explain some of the basics to them they get forward pretty nicely on their own. A forum like this can be a very hard for a user who hasn't used one before. So I agree with you that click here is very useful but also its worth a shot that you explain to your users which is the link color where they can get something to happen :) Just make the link and text colours differ from each other enough.
Amgine
Noobie

heh heh

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2002, 01:53:57 AM »

Great work, everyone! I'll be trying it soon to see if it overcomes a problem I (and Jay) were having with cookies and virtual servers.

Regarding the url/email tag issue... isn't there a ubbc standard out there?

Amgien

Proudly Non-Human
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2002, 12:34:28 PM »

Quote from: Amgine on June 10, 2002, 01:53:57 AMRegarding the url/email tag issue... isn't there a ubbc standard out there?

Amgien

No :) And if memory serves me correctly, other forums can't use the name "ubbc"

Shindou Hikaru
Honinbou
YaBB Crony
YaBB God

ICQ - 152652980mephidmann@emulation-inc.com WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2002, 12:46:17 PM »

UBBC = Ultimate Bulletin Board Code, right?

Please do not message me for support, use the support boards
Amazon Wishlist | ThinkGeek Wishlist | My Blog
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2002, 12:51:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's what it was, and Zef can correct me if I'm wrong but a long time ago when we were developing the Perl YaBB, I am pretty sure we had to stop using UBBC as Infopop had registered the name or something...

Zef Hemel
Advisor
YaBB God

Me too

ICQ - 61109769 WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2002, 12:56:44 PM »

Everybody always called (and still is calling) the kind of codes we're using UBB code (which of course means Ultimate Bulletin Board code). I tried to introduce UBBC, meaning Uniform Bulletin Board Code, but later on we decided it would be renamed to YaBB Code as too many people would still think it means Ultimate Bulletin Board Code. But I don't think UBB owns a trademark on it though.

Jedi~
Eric
Beta Tester
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2002, 04:47:57 PM »

I always say YaBBC :)
Michael
YaBB God

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\, n. - See recursion.

ICQ - 47769041mrtorrent@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2002, 06:47:26 PM »

When I first saw "UBBC," I thought it meant Universal Bulletin Board Code, which would make sense. Somehow I found out it came from UBB. I think it's just silly how every board has their own initials on it: iBCode, YaBBCode, phpBBCode, IBFCode. I think most people don't know and don't care what it stands for, probably just find all the variations in naming to be twerpy. :P

~ Michael ~
--------------
The MikeCam
I went to the Net and all I got was this stupid tagline.
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2002, 06:55:20 PM »

Heh I don't understand why more forums don't work together. It's very odd that there are like 50 choices for forums out there. Imagine that just 2-5 of these combined strengths, time, and resources...

But everyone wants to be the hero, to get all the credit, etc etc.

But that's just me ranting ;)

Michael
YaBB God

Recursion \Re*cur"sion\, n. - See recursion.

ICQ - 47769041mrtorrent@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2002, 07:22:33 PM »

That's certainly true, combining the best aspects of all of them would be awesome but probably not going to happen. I think it's partly that everyone wants to be the hero/satisfy their ego, but also partly that many people think they can "do it better." I guess the closest you can come to combining is to convince some key developers at other BBS's to come over to your side. You'd have to give them some way to satiate their ego, though, because they wouldn't just drop their creation for someone else's.

On the flip side of all this, however, is that some competition is healthy (but maybe not too much), because fresh ideas get thrown out, and good, healthy competition encourages improvement, innovation, and variety.

~ Michael ~
--------------
The MikeCam
I went to the Net and all I got was this stupid tagline.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  Version 1.4 is released! « previous - next »