Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 25, 2024, 07:11:54 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Graphics and Templates  |  YaBB Smiley Sets (easter/halloween/xmas/colored/ethnic/...) « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: YaBB Smiley Sets (easter/halloween/xmas/colored/ethnic/...)  (Read 477603 times)
andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

Re:New YaBB Smiley Sets (easter/halloween/yellow/xmas smileys)
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2003, 09:23:46 AM »

Quote from: joefish on January 12, 2003, 07:25:10 AMyou can't smile and frown at the same time?

I can.  :)  >:(

andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2003, 05:32:18 AM »

Newest editions:

Afro Smiley Set

Furthermore a brown smiley set, and some flower smiley sets.

andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2003, 11:58:49 AM »

Since my intention when making the smiley site was to make kind of smiley repository, you are welcome to submit your smiley sets to the site, provided you are the original author of the smiley set.

The best procedure is to post a reply in this thread here or to IM me. In order to put the smileys online I would need:
- Author Name (can be the your board nickname)
- Smileyset creation date
- Copyright notes (backlink to your website required etc.)
- Comments
- Link to your website

Mail me a link to your zip or alternatively request my email where you can mail the zip to.

If you are looking for a special new smiley set, then mail me your idea or a sample smiley...

andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

Re:YaBB Smiley Sets (easter/halloween/xmas/colored/ethnic/...)
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2003, 06:39:14 AM »

Here is an interesting thread for all smiley lovers, containing some historical informations about smileys:
http://www.yabbse.org/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17841

:)

andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2003, 08:10:12 AM »

The YaBB Smiley Sets are updated with some new sets such as the new St. Patrick's Day smileys and Jasons Leprechauns, plus various sets, also from other authors. For technical reasons the site was partially rebuilt.

St. Patrick's Day Smiley Set

Question: Any ideas on how webmasters could be motivated to follow the TOS better? The server logs show more than 60'000 zip file downloads. The very fewest give credits to the authors, provide a back link to the authors website or the smiley set website. Furthermore many non-YaBB boards started to leech the smiley set site, by linking their standard board smileys directly to the smiley sets site.  

Aquilo
The Black Llama

Would'nt you like to be a llama too?

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2003, 10:13:08 PM »

turn hotlink protection on!

if your cpanel don't have hotlink protection like mine here is the code:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://penthesilea.ch.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.penthesilea.ch.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://penthesilea.ch:80.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.penthesilea.ch:80.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule .*[Jj][Pp][Gg]$|.*[Gg][Ii][Ff]|.*[Zz][Ii][Pp]$ http://www.penthesilea.ch/yabb-smiley-sets/index.php [L]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 11:07:27 PM by Aquilo » Logged

[td][/td]
[td]
[/td][td][/td][/table]
Aquilo
The Black Llama

Would'nt you like to be a llama too?

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2003, 01:32:49 AM »

I just noticed all your images are gone :-\ you can allow YaBBSE site!

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://yabbse.org.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.yabbse.org.*$ [NC]

Sorry if you did use the code I put up I was not thinking of alowing this site! :P

[td][/td]
[td]
[/td][td][/td][/table]
andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2003, 01:35:52 AM »

This would help against the leeching but not motivate webmasters to be more honest... The leeching botheres me almost less than the un-culture of just right clicking any graphic one sees somewhere and using it on the own website. In a certain sense the leechers are even more honest because they don't copy the graphics...

I did not want to start a .htacess discussion, I know how to make a .htacess or prevent generally hotlinking with other methods (anyway thanks for the answer).

However my main question is: how to motivate webmasters to be more honest, I mean this part of the question:

QuoteQuestion: Any ideas on how webmasters could be motivated to follow the TOS better? The server logs show more than 60'000 zip file downloads. The very fewest give credits to the authors, provide a back link to the authors website or the smiley set website.

Indeed per yesterday there are over 65'000 zip downloads. I am aware of x boards using the smileys (not only the leeching ones) without giving any credits...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2003, 02:04:50 AM by andrea » Logged

andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2003, 02:12:48 AM »

Quote from: Aquilo on February 24, 2003, 01:32:49 AM
I just noticed all your images are gone :-\ you can allow YaBBSE site!

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://yabbse.org.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.yabbse.org.*$ [NC]

Sorry if you did use the code I put up I was not thinking of alowing this site! :P

Dont worry and thanks for caring  :) I am not using .htaccess at the moment, the images have not gone by that, they are on a different server. Looks like that image server is temporarily down...

Benn
Noobie

Kinetic Past

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2003, 05:24:40 AM »

You could save each set into one wide gif file, so they can still view the smilies normally, but they are forced to download the zip (or whatever archive format) file. Then you could add the TOS to the text that pops up when the zip opens. So they are at least forced to see it for a couple of seconds.

> "We have seen strange things today." Luke 5:26 <
andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2003, 08:04:40 AM »

Quote from: Benn on February 24, 2003, 05:24:40 AM
You could save each set into one wide gif file, so they can still view the smilies normally, but they are forced to download the zip (or whatever archive format) file. Then you could add the TOS to the text that pops up when the zip opens. So they are at least forced to see it for a couple of seconds.

Thanks again. The TOS is already displayed on the start page and with each smileyset detail. Is that not clear enough? Or is the statement not well written? Is there is some ambiguity in the text? Any feedback on better formulating the text is welcome.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2003, 08:05:39 AM by andrea » Logged

Benn
Noobie

Kinetic Past

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2003, 04:14:48 AM »

Yeah, but I can download the images without ever seeing or reading the TOS. This way they are forced into seeing it so even if they still don't follow it you at least have a legal foothold now.

Just make sure you also have Terms of Service in big bold letters in the file too, so they know exactly what it is even if they quickly click past it.

andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2003, 11:39:28 AM »

Quote from: Benn on February 25, 2003, 04:14:48 AM
Yeah, but I can download the images without ever seeing or reading the TOS. This way they are forced into seeing it so even if they still don't follow it you at least have a legal foothold now.

How can you download without seeing the TOS? Is it not so that can always download without reading the TOS, I mean you can always click without reading, also an "I accept" checkbox can be clicked without reading. The legal foothold is already there, the law is quite clear and strict re. copyright issues...

Quote from: Benn on February 25, 2003, 04:14:48 AM
Just make sure you also have Terms of Service in big bold letters in the file too, so they know exactly what it is even if they quickly click past it.

There *is* already a "copyright.txt" file contained in my zips.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 11:42:06 AM by andrea » Logged

Benn
Noobie

Kinetic Past

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2003, 12:20:31 PM »

Well, I'm simply going off how I saw the site the first time. Even though you do have it written on the site (and the title is actually in bold) I still didn't notice it because I was distracted by all those *cute little pretty coloured smiley faces* below them. The scrollbar is pulled down almost immediately and the copyright message is taken out of sight.

Then one can simple copy all the images.

I was wrong about the legal bit, but there is still never a time when one is forced to click past a TOS message. Making it display upon opening of the zip is the guaranteed way they have too.

You could easily write a Photoshop action to combine the smilies into one string (or any other automated script from whatever graphic program you use) so that should be a one-click job, so that wont be hard to implement, and adding the opening message to the zip is a simple process too.

After forcing them through the TOS it is up to the person whether they follow it or not, any further attempts to convince them to follow it is pretty futile really. Unless you get a reputation for taking legal action against offenders the ones who already break the TOS aren't going to care about it (and I don't think you really want to do that!).

acf [delete me]!
YaBB God

la especialidad de grafic

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2003, 02:41:05 PM »

You can't force people to read the TOS. They will yust click oke and place the smileys on the board with out a link back. You could take them al to judge but i don't think you can do all that in one life time  ;)

"You can't stop them, you can only make it difficult for them."

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Graphics and Templates  |  YaBB Smiley Sets (easter/halloween/xmas/colored/ethnic/...) « previous - next »