Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
March 19, 2024, 11:45:39 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  SE Future... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: SE Future...  (Read 689648 times)
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

SE Future...
« on: January 14, 2002, 10:28:11 PM »

Well, we're naturally going to tackle the remaining bugs and things like that but what else do you want to see to take YaBB to the next level?

Was there something about another forum you liked or thought would be good for YaBB?

I went through the registrations today and we've got most requests in here now but only a few remain...

Do NOT clutter this thread too much ;)  More, try to offer some nice suggestions that can make YaBB SE a better piece of software.

On top of this, we will be forming a YaBB SE Team.  This will include developers and mod team members so you should start to see some work in those areas as well...

Damien

Re:SE Future...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2002, 10:31:14 PM »

The only thing I can think of is the creating a mod for PostNuke.....

Other than that, I'd say this was perfect.....
Cymro
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2002, 10:33:42 PM »

The backup feature would be cool beats going into mysql or phpmyadmin :) and the ability to disolow member groups getting into a single forum not the overall catagry
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2002, 10:34:53 PM »

Ok, these are suggestions I like to see ;)  Backup feature pretty much works but darn safe mode kills it...

Godai
Mod God :P

YaBB SE!!!!

ICQ - 70621553godai78@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2002, 10:36:25 PM »

Better than integrate i think we can add portal function to YaBB SE itself :)

Emanuele 'Godai' Sparvoli
YaBB Italian Team
100% YaBB Lover
Archangel
Noobie

Hmm... ouch.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2002, 12:40:56 AM »

Probably been asked before (but it wasn't on this thread so I'll post it)

How about a news feature that links to the announcement boards for comments? Basically the thing that XXL has on Boardmod. This can be taken to the next step if you have more than one announcement board (maybe one in each category) to separate the news into the different categories.

This next one might be hard, and you might have to rewrite a few parts... how about if the member of the board can choose to see how many posts per page and how many threads per page and so on. I personally hate going through several tens of pages. If you made it a member's choice, then the people with slow connections can choose less posts per page, and for people like me, they can choose more posts per page.

That's all I can think of for now.... But I'm sure I'll think of others.  :)
curious

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2002, 12:54:38 AM »

Quote from: Godai on January 14, 2002, 10:36:25 PMBetter than integrate i think we can add portal function to YaBB SE itself :)
That's exactly what I wanted to suggest. Like the portal mod they did for WBB.

YaBB SE is great the way it is. A few mods could be integrated like avatar upload, add more membergroups and stuff, but no real need as long as they will be available as mods (better IM is already on it's way :D).
The only thing I insist on seeing in a future release is a new default template. I don't like brightblue. :-\
BiggN
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2002, 01:39:14 AM »

I know that the mod for this is already being worked on... but.... i still think that you should be able to give different memebers of your staff different colors by default.

http://www.heavengames.com forums as an example.
or http://www.7tharmy.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl is another *the old site before i upgraded to SE*

Makes it easier to see who is who for new people.
_______

Another thing *that i think is being worked on in the same mod* but changing the number of stars for each person/by default would be nice.

Havn't actually checked to see how they are in the images, but if i wanted to go backwards *just to be different* and have my more senior members have less stars.

_________

I just think those 2 things should be in there by default.
Brad

Promoter of YaBB

ICQ - 83017998 WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2002, 05:25:54 AM »

I'm not sure if this will ever be something you guys would ever venture to do but a great compliment to these awesome forums would be a PHP based website template where people would be given a generic PHP built site that they could customize the look and feel to compliment the forums.  Some kind of set-up where you could place links and images and text and hit a submit button and wala a PHP website ;D  

John R
PHP Challenged
Global Moderator

Click, Click, Click, Bang!

ICQ - 3166233codehammer@thevortex.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2002, 05:30:21 AM »

Naw.....I won't go there, yet!  All I wanted for christmas was a 'GO' button and a 'reverse post order' feature but alas, I must have been bad cause I did't get em.

Personally, if an integration is in the works it would be nice to see YaBB SE integrated with PostNuke.  Both script sets have the same friendly user community and it's a real treat to interact with either group.

cheers........

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true!

Note: I do not acknowledge support requests via PM, MSN or ICQ, please use the support boards.
Dylan Malone
Noobie

Restore Gore in 2004, it's the will of the people.

News - Portal Integration
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2002, 05:59:57 AM »

I know that PostNuke is very popular, and looks pretty good to me.  BUT, I much prefer NewsPro because it gives me vastly more control over my site.  You can do ANYTHING with that .cgi script!

This site is still crude, but it gives you the general idea if you're curious:  http://www.algore-04.com

Notice how the news appears in a small column on the left and the latest YaBB posts appear on the right?  Can I replicate this exactly with a Nuke site?  I like that NewsPro basically expects you to make your own website and it'll offer up some great text files to weave in for content.

Maybe I haven't looked long enought but the Nuke sites I've seen all look sort've the same.  :(

NewsPro integration could make YaBB the ultimate comment system for news sites like mine.

Read the incredible story of my son, Ian Malone.  http://www.babyian.com
livingpixels
Noobie

I'm a llama!

LDAP support
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2002, 07:31:26 AM »

I just spent a bunch of time surveying bulletin board software (ubb, phpBB, XMB, openBB, phorum, vBulletin and YABB) and not one of them supported LDAP which makes it harder to implement for an intranet where you want the whole company to be able to use it.

If you guys could nail this, you would make it a no-brainer for intranet use which opens a huge "market".

ciao,
bruce
« Last Edit: January 15, 2002, 07:33:21 AM by livingpixels » Logged
Godai
Mod God :P

YaBB SE!!!!

ICQ - 70621553godai78@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2002, 07:57:45 AM »

A news system is in work :)

Emanuele 'Godai' Sparvoli
YaBB Italian Team
100% YaBB Lover
irbrian

I create. Therefore I am.

brian@inverse-reality.com WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2002, 09:21:05 AM »

I have several suggestions.

1) Advanced/Upgraded IM System
2) [related..] Advanced Notification System (prevents severe cluttering of E-Mail Inbox!)

3) The ability to have PHP in my site template! (Unless this is possible already..)

4) Sub-forums capability -- allow multiple forums with seperate databases or db_prefix's to share various areas of the forum with another forum.
(I.E.: one set of member records for multiple forums, one IM system, one set of membergroups records, one profile per user across multiple forums)

5) Keep working on making it easier to write, install, and UNinstall mods. Also, look for ways to improve the upcoming Mod Team's procedures, efficiency, and policies to assure compatiblity between mods.

6) In a future version of YaBB -- optimized and even more readable code might be nice. From what I've seen of PHP, it seems like there are some great ways to optimize the code and make it more modular. I know YaBB SE is pretty much a line-by-line port of Y1G and SP1, but in the future it'd be great to re-do a lot of that to make it even more modular.. and if possible, even more CPU/bandwidth friendly.

7) Get omario to finish his MSN mod, and make it a standard part of future versions! MSN Messenger is probably the most popular Instant Messaging system now, more so that Y!, AIM, and ICQ which are included. :)

8) A Portal System would be great -- or at least, some form of site content managing system. If you integrate with Postnuke, thats fine -- although I hope it can be made a little easier to understand how to install it and everything.

There ya go.. I think thats enough to keep ya guys busy for awhile. ;) [Hey.. you asked!]  ;D

Imparting great wisdom daily to those who will mistake my words as such.
chris
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2002, 02:23:29 PM »

Quote from: irbrian on January 15, 2002, 09:21:05 AM1) Advanced/Upgraded IM System

I'm going to start coding on my Advanced IM System today or tomorrow again...

Quote3) The ability to have PHP in my site template! (Unless this is possible already..)

I think that Joseph added something like that... but I'm not sure...

Quote4) Sub-forums capability -- allow multiple forums with seperate databases or db_prefix's to share various areas of the forum with another forum.
(I.E.: one set of member records for multiple forums, one IM system, one set of membergroups records, one profile per user across multiple forums)

With a little bit of hacking around, this is already possible ;D

Quote6) In a future version of YaBB -- optimized and even more readable code might be nice. From what I've seen of PHP, it seems like there are some great ways to optimize the code and make it more modular. I know YaBB SE is pretty much a line-by-line port of Y1G and SP1, but in the future it'd be great to re-do a lot of that to make it even more modular.. and if possible, even more CPU/bandwidth friendly.

As you already mentioned.... SE is just a line by line port... i think that if there will be a SE2, it will be a total re-write...

Quote8) A Portal System would be great -- or at least, some form of site content managing system. If you integrate with Postnuke, thats fine -- although I hope it can be made a little easier to understand how to install it and everything.

AFAIK, tarch is working on ezTarch, a Portal-System based on YaBB SE.... http://www.eztarch.com
« Last Edit: January 15, 2002, 02:24:21 PM by Christian Land » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  SE Future... « previous - next »