Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
March 29, 2024, 02:22:28 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  PHP Portals... will it.... « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: PHP Portals... will it....  (Read 164727 times)
Razgo

Dance with the Beat

ICQ - 144284881 WWW
Re:PHP Portals... will it....
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2002, 06:10:31 AM »

because of the last post I made about postnukeXyabbse was lost due to the recent backup i will repost.

Originally my friend dllsrc and I were going to work on a project involving the postnuke and YaBBSE intergration. dllsrc has since been kept busy with a lot of work so  I do not know if he will pick it up again when he gets more time. so the project we were working on is certainly in the "dead zone" for now anyway.

Larry_Laffer

I love YaBB SE!

ICQ - 5459459 WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2002, 03:33:13 PM »

I was PHPNuke with Version 5.1 and 5.2, I switched over to PostNuke with the Mutant and Rogue Release and now I am back with PHPNuke 5.4 and finally 5.5
I think many things must happen that I will go back the way to PostNuke.

I can understand the devs point of view because Francesco is not the easiest person to work with. But the chaos PN is producing is unbeatable. Too many cooks ...
There is no clear line. There are developing because of developing and not for the users.
The majority ist PHPNuke, at least 80% against 20% and it does not seem to change anymore. PHPNuke is now again gaining advantage with the 5.4&5.5 Versions.

YaBB SE is the best BB System I know. Let's integrate it into PHPNUKE!!!!!!!
Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

The shrub demands war. I don't. The world doesn't.

ICQ - 69234983clickopedia@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2002, 01:35:22 AM »

lol, i installed xoops an dhave to say its pretty sweet! :)

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
Cebol
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2002, 02:18:16 AM »

I have just installed phpnuke on my web-site, well, I really want to "integrate" phpnuke and YaBB SE, well, they are in a diferente account form the same server, well it worked for me, I just created a "stupi*" php file in the modules/Forum with.... ( you have to put the name "index.php" and don´t need any files.... )

include_once ("my index.php file of the forum....It is in another account ( my.. )");

Well I´m very newbie at all! Alex_Rolko installed the forum for me ( YaBB SE, I couldn´t and I can´t install YaBB SE "alone", I tried everything but nothing worked! )  I really think that phpnuke was easy to install ( at least with me! ) I didn´t received any errors, I also prefer phpnuke X postnuke, phpnuke rox!

Well, just that, sorry I´m really newbie, just trying to help!
iamdamnsam

RamchargerCentral.Com

« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2002, 04:15:01 AM »

What exactly is the benefit of integrating PHP Nuke or whatever with YaBB SE?  Can't you acheive virtually everything that PHP nuke can do with YaBB SE?

David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2002, 04:29:39 AM »

Quote from: iamdamnsam on March 07, 2002, 04:15:01 AMWhat exactly is the benefit of integrating PHP Nuke or whatever with YaBB SE?  Can't you acheive virtually everything that PHP nuke can do with YaBB SE?
This is where there are differences in opinion.  I do not want YaBBSE to try and become a CMS.  It is a great forum and I fear it will be spread to thin if so many CMS features are added.  Making it a module for a CMS is a good thing becuase then it is still being worked on as a forum without worrying about everything else a CMS does.  Also there are plenty of CMSs already.

andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2002, 04:30:57 AM »

Quote from: iamdamnsam on March 07, 2002, 04:15:01 AMWhat exactly is the benefit of integrating PHP Nuke or whatever with YaBB SE?  Can't you acheive virtually everything that PHP nuke can do with YaBB SE?
Not really. PHP nuke does not contain a discussion board. You can feedback to published articles, but this is not the same as a board.

iamdamnsam

RamchargerCentral.Com

« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2002, 04:42:14 AM »

so php nuke is basically an announcement board?  If so, YaBB already does that.

Microcyb

Hey Baby, I've Fallen, & I Can't Get It Up!

« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2002, 04:51:57 AM »

I gave up on the portals, and have been trying to write one of my own.

persoanlly I think YaBB should have its very own portal.  It would be the perfect addition to an awsome board.

YaPS - Yet another Portal System!!!

I started my own to have a drop down menuig system to contain more information at the base of the site, since I have so much stuff I did'nt want to have to have to click on a hundred spots just to get what I wanted.

YaBB I keep hearing is going to try a portal, but I have'nt seen anything yet.

If no YaBB portal, than dammit I will make one!! lol

o.k. I still suck at php, but I will get it one day.  I'm learning.

Looking at postnuke though, I can see you can include YaBB into it, with just a weee bit code changing around, but I think its just too messy for me.

I try for the K.I.S.S. factor.

Razgo

Dance with the Beat

ICQ - 144284881 WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2002, 07:27:20 AM »

QuoteThis is where there are differences in opinion.  I do not want YaBBSE to try and become a CMS.

I tend to think the opposite there. I have always felt professional forums Like YaBBSE needs to go that one step more and build a cms system to go with it.
And if YaBBSE decides to be adventurious and go the extra mile I say good on them for showing innovation and vision. I doubt this will effect the YaBBSE forum in a negetive way but rather in a positive way.

However I also agree YaBBSE would be an excellent choice to be moded into existing cms systems. so hey why not do both?

sure there are other cms systems out there, and I say the more the better. lots of options and choice is a good thing.

did someone say they were thinking of trying to make yaBBSE into a mod for the Xoops system?

David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2002, 07:44:23 AM »

Quote from: Razgo on March 07, 2002, 07:27:20 AMdid someone say they were thinking of trying to make yaBBSE into a mod for the Xoops system?
Once 1.3 is released I am going to take a whack at this.  Module doc from XOOPS is also suppossed to be released soon so a combination of the two will help.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2002, 03:27:02 PM by David » Logged

Microcyb

Hey Baby, I've Fallen, & I Can't Get It Up!

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2002, 02:37:18 PM »

Well I do like all the portals i have seen. Some are a nightmare to install, while others are easy as pie.

I personally think that to really make YaBB SE rock the web world, it needs to go to the next level.

Is there any php coders out there that would like to tackle a new level of coding and make a new portal?

Or has evenone gotten lazy?

YaBB SE has already gotten some cool mods made for it, why not really show YaBB SE how much it rocks, and help make a portal for it?

Hell I will throw you a brand new YEPP portable mp3 to player, to those that can handle that challenge!

So I might not be a PHP god, but dammit I will not be a lazy web fool, and just leech off of others.  I have been trying to learn all that I can, and hope one day I can repay the guys who made YaBB with some cool stuff.

A brand new web portal would be just the ticket!

So are all of you just chickens, and only want a mod to use in other cheap CMS or are ya brave enough to take on the challenge of making a new, and better than ever portal to work with YaBB hand in hand!

::) CHICKENS!!.. I thought so...

« Last Edit: March 07, 2002, 02:40:12 PM by microcyb » Logged

iamdamnsam

RamchargerCentral.Com

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2002, 08:59:05 PM »

I am still not clear on what benefits a CMS has over YaBB?

Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

The shrub demands war. I don't. The world doesn't.

ICQ - 69234983clickopedia@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2002, 11:04:29 PM »

sam - the only way for you to really find out is by installign a cms and using it :)

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
Razgo

Dance with the Beat

ICQ - 144284881 WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2002, 11:55:04 PM »

I am still not clear on what benefits a CMS has over YaBB?

I don't think either has more benifit over one or the other but rather the two systems work together to to bring out a powerfull way to run a community web site they way you like it.

QuoteOnce 1.3 is released I am going to take a whack at this.  Module doc from XOOPS is also suppossed to be released soon so a combination of the two will help.
yes that sounds like a good move to wait for the next release on both. I hope the documents are easy to follow too.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  PHP Portals... will it.... « previous - next »