Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 25, 2024, 03:43:11 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Is it worth the trouble installing a new YaBB SE board? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Is it worth the trouble installing a new YaBB SE board?  (Read 5388 times)
luisr

Left blank to save space.

Is it worth the trouble installing a new YaBB SE board?
« on: September 20, 2003, 05:07:36 PM »

I will probably help a friend with the installation of a message board in his site.  Since I have been using YaBB SE for over a year the choice would be quite obvious.  However, since YSE will not be developed any further in favor of SMF which is still in the future, I wonder if it is worth the trouble to install a new YSE board.

How long into the future is SMF?
Metho

I'm a llama!

Re:Is it worth the trouble installing a new YaBB SE board?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 09:03:28 PM »

Only devs/charter members really have an idea when a stable public version will be released. However, why not just start the board as YSE 1.5.4 and then just convert to SMF when it's stable? A convertor has been around for a long time (from what I've heard) and is also (from what I've heard) relatively painless. Just install the YSE board and refrain from modding the heck out of it for a bit, OR mod it with the knowledge that they'll not survive the change BUT look around the SMF web site at the declined or accepted features and, in a lot of cases, you'll find the same mod or something very similiar being integrated into SMF. Just my opinion though. :D

Methonis

David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 10:55:01 PM »

Yes, there is already a working YSE to SMF convertor and it will be released, guessing, even with the beta but definitly with the final 1.0 release.

Snuffy
Noobie

When The Going gets TUFF! The Tuff go FISHING!

ICQ - 8399272 WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 11:45:33 AM »

Well I am a little peeeeeed here this morning!

To say the least that is!

I have been using YaBB-SP for about 2 1/2 yr. and updated as things came along for that.
Been waiting to be able to get on a server where I could switch to YaBB-SE and just did that.

As about 2-3 weeks back we installed the YaBB-SP 1.5.4 and everything was working fine. Then about a week or so back got the chance to switch my domain to a server and have php/mysql capability. So I jumped on it and been getting ready for the big switch to YaBB-SE.

I was about to go live this afternoon "I THOUGHT" with all like it was on the old SP version. "BUT" I just ran the so called converter on the SP to switch it to SE and it seems it hosed things on the SE side and if I continue with SE I'll have to lose all my users dat files and all messages and all the goodies that were in there. And now I guess I'll have to just start out from scratch with a bare bones out of ther box SE.

This is sad, and that is all I'll say about That!   ;)

Just had to vent a little, so now I guess it is back to the drawing board and start adding all my areas and HOPE that all the 500+ users of my old SP can bare with us on this bare bones switch!

Thanks for letting me vent, it has been a long 36 hours plus here getting this far and now have to start over!

After I get some ZZzzzzzzzz's that is!

Snuffy - - - - - out . . . . . . .    8)

Golden Bears Den
[email protected]
Dave [SNUFFY] Smith
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Is it worth the trouble installing a new YaBB SE board? « previous - next »