Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 27, 2024, 04:00:37 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Running across domains « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Running across domains  (Read 6856 times)
luisr

Left blank to save space.

Running across domains
« on: August 29, 2003, 05:55:49 PM »

My site has a couple of domain name aliases which point to the same location.  While the majority of people use the domain name normally advertised (meaning it is the one that appears in search engines) to reach my site, some users reach my site using one of the aliases.  That's mostly out of custom.  Main domain name is a .org domain and one of the aliases is the .com version of the same domain.

The thing is that the entire site runs under a framed environment, including my YaBB SE board.  As long as you come into my site using the .org domain everything is fine.  The problems start when people use one of the aliases.

I get frequent complaints about not being able to post because you must be registered to post in the forum and they just logged in.  More often than not, the reason is that the person was using the .com alias.  This happens because the forum is still in the .com domain when they log in, but right after they click the login button the forum switches to the .org domain (which is within the frames still in the .com domain).  Something happens across domains here that cookies don't work.

And this happens because the forum is "hardcoded" to the .org domain.

My question is, how can I make it run from any of the aliases without going back to the .org domain after the first click?  Where can I convert the absolute URL into a relative one?  Are there any security issues with this?

Thanks
Ben_S
Disciple of Joe
Support Team
YaBB God

I Love YaBB SE!

Re:Running across domains
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 06:17:08 PM »

You could add something like this to your index.php

<?php

if (strstr($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], 'domain.net')) {

header('Location: http://www.domain.org');
      exit;
   }
?>

I use it for http://www.redandwhitekop.net/forum/ to redirect to .com and it works fine.
luisr

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 07:26:31 PM »

That could work but I am not looking for redirection, but rather that the forum stays under the domain the person used to reach the web site.

I could try that one in the mean time.

Thanks for the tip.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 08:05:43 PM »

The problem is the way cookies work.

People are so *scared* of cookies that great and HEAVY restrictions have been made on them.

If you make a cookie from myplace.net, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to access it from myplace.org.  And I do mean NO WAY.

I could show you how to make the forum work with the separate URLs, but they'd have to login for each domain.

-[Unknown]
Parham
Advisor
YaBB God

#!/usr/bin/perl

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 11:29:20 PM »

I think you should redirect in my opinion... people with multiple domains usually do this.

luisr

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 06:03:24 PM »

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 29, 2003, 08:05:43 PM
The problem is the way cookies work.

People are so *scared* of cookies that great and HEAVY restrictions have been made on them.

If you make a cookie from myplace.net, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to access it from myplace.org.  And I do mean NO WAY.

I know about this cross-domain restriction.  That's why the title of this thread includes the words "across domains".

And I have told way too many people to loosen up their restrictions with cookies which cause the problem they have.

Oh well... I guess I will have to redirect.
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Running across domains « previous - next »