Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 19, 2024, 12:27:30 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Test badwords censor ... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Test badwords censor ...  (Read 4864 times)
CotteN
Noobie

Can I pay the hosting fees without credit cards???

Forgot WWW
Test badwords censor ...
« on: August 13, 2003, 10:59:10 AM »

crappity smack
Fuck

There is a problem ...... badwords will be printed if
Fu"url"ck"end url"

« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 11:00:51 AM by CotteN » Logged

KiveN
"Not KeviN"

@,@   <::::::::::)=0
Grudge
Global Moderator

Damn llama's don't like me :(

Re:Test badwords censor ...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 01:38:59 PM »

The censor thing isn't really there to stop people intentionally swearing (I believe). If someone can be bothered to go through that much effort to swear they will probably be just as willing to make a picture with a swear word on it and post that. Making an ultra intelligent word checker seems kinda pointless...
Metho

I'm a llama!

Re:Test badwords censor ...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 05:40:21 AM »

Yes, the large reason why forum software have word censoring functions is to merely shield the majority of users from people who have a tendency to use offensive language in their everyday speech (well, typing) Just like in speaking, many people type things without even thinking about it or noticing it. There's one guy on a forum I frequent who's always saying 'And ****ing I did this, and then he ****ing did that, and I was like ****!' He's really not trying to offend anyone, nor piss of the administrator, it's just that his communication skills are somewhat lacking. So with the word censorship, he can still effectively communicate his ideas or feelings to the rest of the community without forcing people to see his offensive language all over. One who does things like type the fu and then make the ck a url is PURPOSELY trying to offend people. This is why forums have administrators and moderators. That is the point that they need to actually get involved and correct the situation.

So, all and all, the censor function is just to save the admins, and the users, a lot of grief.

Methonis

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Test badwords censor ... « previous - next »