Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
March 29, 2024, 10:44:17 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  The Recent Changes. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: The Recent Changes.  (Read 322239 times)
Ratman
Noobie

Re:The Recent Changes.
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2003, 02:44:02 AM »

I still remember when I switched from good old YaBB to YaBB SE, and now it will be left behind too... :'(

Anyways, I'm looking forward to try SMF. Tweaking and tinkering YSE is some ugly work sometimes, it's all too messy, with commented out perl-ish regexes and stuff... hope SMF is cleaner :P

Oh, and being a charter member is appealing, but way too expensive :-\ I guess we cheap people will have to wait 'till the official release... oh well. Make it better than YaBB SE! :)

I speaks broken English very good!
Tilton53

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2003, 01:40:14 PM »

SMF seems to be a lot faster then Yabbse
briton
Noobie

Good 'ere innit!

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2003, 08:44:20 PM »

Quote from: rinspeed on November 21, 2003, 11:31:19 AM
So I understand from all this, that I should not have installed YaBB SE, but SMF?

I hope it will also be understandible for people who do not have knowledge of pc, coding, php and MsQL (like me)

HELP

Quote from: [Unknown] on November 21, 2003, 11:34:48 AM
SMF has not yet been released.

-[Unknown]

OK thanks Unknown. That helps a little. But I do read and read and I still don't really get the idea here.

Now, I have JUST discovered YaBBSE and I think you guys are all great to produce such a wonderful thing. And having used it, I wanted to incorporate it into my website. So I downloaded, followed instructions, read FAQs etc etc. And of course had problems - actually, it won't install, but leave that aside.

So now I come back for more reading and researching and hopefully don't have to post any questions as so many of them seem to have been answered if I can just find them. But I find this HUMUNGOUS notice telling me to come and read this thread. So I do. And everything I read tells me that if I continue to research, learn, install, tweak and get YaBBSE up and running and get the good people to come and use it on my website, I will probably want to switch over to SMF (whether XPish, Macish or however else I feel like describing its cool look  ;)

But hang on. It isn't released yet. But the Beta version is IMMINENT? So I could wait a little then play around with that one before I let my people get their hands on it, right?

My questions are simple (and I am sure a lot of other people in the same situation would like this spelt out too):

1. Is it worth expending more time and effort getting YaBBSE up and running for the first time or will the "changeover" to SMF simply require the same bunch of work to be done to switch it?

2. Is the first beta version of SMF likely to be ready enough to allow us first time installers of YaBBSE to try that out instead (presumably also being able to help feedback some useful stuff which will avoid noobie mania wreaking havoc on the SMF boards!)? (I understand that if I already had YaBBSE up and running, it would NOT be worth the switch until SMF's first beta's are history.)

(Questions JUST for the case of someone who has not yet got YaBBSE up and running and doesn't have some deadline to do so.)

I really hope you can answer these. I also hope that they haven't been answered already - I DID try for a long time to find a clear answer and to be honest, the answers seem either vague or tangled.

Thanks for ALL the info you provide and all the work you all put in.

(Don't ask me how this post ended up here instead of there, but I suppose it's supposed to be here, so I'll leave it........)  :-\
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 09:17:57 PM by briton » Logged

To untangle a knot, try not to pull on the end.
David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2003, 04:17:02 AM »

As SMF is based on YSE there are quite a few underlying similarities.  Things like how you would incorporate SSI or the news script are more or less the same.  Then again almost every single feature has been upgraded or enhanced.  We have been running SMF live on the site since alpha stages.  We are currently on our third closed beta, with the charter members, and I am running this beta on my site.  By the time we reach public beta I would be very confident in running it on even a very busy site.  I'm sure bugs will still be found but nothing show stopping.  Also if you decide to become a charter member you will have access to the SMF beta at this point and we will be more than happy to install it for you and help with customizations.

[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2003, 06:09:35 AM »

Quote from: David on December 08, 2003, 04:17:02 AM
As SMF is based on YSE there are quite a few underlying similarities.  Things like how you would incorporate SSI or the news script are more or less the same.

Yes and no.  The SSI has changed a lot, to be more secure mostly, and isn't strictly compatible - you will have to change things.

Upgrading is quite painless, though, so if you feel like you want to try YaBB SE - go ahead, it shouldn't be that hard to switch everything over, really.

As far as first betas... well, it might.  The first betas, those we usually only give to team members and closed beta testers, (and are now being given to charter members as well...) are already out.... and it should be a lot better than you might expect.

Here, there, wha?  Looks fine here to me...

-[Unknown]
briton
Noobie

Good 'ere innit!

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2003, 07:46:45 AM »

Well, thanks David and [Unknown]. Clear and straightforward answers. And quick too!

While I was wondering, I actually got YaBB SE up and running on my website which I consider a minor miracle for a piece of software I never saw before (although read a lot about it on the site) and of a type I hadn't used before.

If SMF is HALF what you say it is, and provided the switchover will port the same databases, I'm ready to continue learning YSE and tweaking and modding on the assumption that the knowledge will all be good to get the best out of SMF.

Thanks again!

To untangle a knot, try not to pull on the end.
Jonno
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2003, 04:55:11 PM »

Hmm, just a small query, we will be able to upgrade from YaBBSE to SMF, right?
Overseer

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2003, 07:00:20 PM »

of course... its been asked about 2398290473928 times in this thread...

I learned that from the G's, a G is an Overseer, the Overseer sees.
More than you do 'cause he gets experienced - Snoop on Daz's OG

Supreme exalted, universal leader, Descendent of the kings and queens, the Overseer
The overlord, cream of the crop, creme de la creme - Gang Starr  Royalty
dstaton
Noobie

I'm a not a llama, but I play one on TV.

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2003, 01:41:53 PM »

Hello-

I came to this forum this morning to finally upgrade to YaBBSE (which I always thought meant "Second Edition"), only to discover that SE has already come and gone...

I now have some questions.  I read this whole thread, so if I inadvertantly ask a question that has already been asked, please don't beat me up.  I tried . . .

1.  Is there a converter to go directly from YaBB to SM, or do I have to do two conversions?  (YaBB > SE > SM)

2.  I read here that the current SE release is the final.  So this board will be disappearing soon and all discussions will move over to SM?

3.  I'm surprised to find there are now two classes of users:  paid and unpaid.  In the YaBB template it says:  "Those who write software only for pay should go hurt some other field."  Is SM a completely different group of developers from YaBB?

4.  My biggest complaint with YaBB is that if a user forget some little thing like putting a subject on his post, the software makes him/her go back to add it, and in the process deletes the entire post.  This has made several people uh, unhappy.  Has this been corrected in SM?

5.  Is this board running on SE or SM?

Thanks for any answers you can provide.  I'm heading off to read the SM board now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 01:43:55 PM by dstaton » Logged
Peter Duggan
Llama Chameleon
Global Moderator
YaBB God

You come and go...

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2003, 02:15:20 PM »

Before I start answering your questions, please allow me to point out that Simple Machines is the new name for the development group and SMF (not SM) is the name of the forum software!

Quote from: dstaton on December 21, 2003, 01:41:53 PM
1.  Is there a converter to go directly from YaBB to SM?

AFAIK, not yet, but there surely will be!

Quote2.  I read here that the current SE release is the final.  So this board will be disappearing soon and all discussions will move over to SM?

YaBB SE is still being supported but there will be no further SE releases and the remaining boards here will eventually be archived.

Quote3.  I'm surprised to find there are now two classes of users:  paid and unpaid.  In the YaBB template it says:  "Those who write software only for pay should go hurt some other field."  Is SM a completely different group of developers from YaBB?

Nobody's writing software only for pay! In fact nobody's being paid at all! The Charter Membership scheme offers access to advanced betas etc. and a support desk, but the fees are being ploughed straight back into the running costs of the boards. SMF has been rewritten from the ground up by the YaBB SE team (with [Unknown] and Compuart as lead developers) as the effective 'next generation' YaBB SE.

Quote4.  My biggest complaint with YaBB is that if a user forget some little thing like putting a subject on his post, the software makes him/her go back to add it, and in the process deletes the entire post.  This has made several people uh, unhappy.  Has this been corrected in SM?

Not sure offhand, but you'll find the answer somewhere in the SMF boards.

Quote5.  Is this board running on SE or SM?

YaBB SE!

dstaton
Noobie

I'm a not a llama, but I play one on TV.

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2003, 03:01:50 PM »

That was fast.

Thanks for the clarifications.

In your opinion, in terms of reliability of transfer and simplicity, would it be better to wait for the YaBB > SM converter, or to take the YaBB > SE > SMF route?
Peter Duggan
Llama Chameleon
Global Moderator
YaBB God

You come and go...

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2003, 05:12:58 PM »

Having never personally done a conversion from the original YaBB (I started with YaBB SE 1.0.0), I can't really be sure, but I don't think it matters. YaBB SE to SMF is certainly a straightforward conversion, so I wouldn't hesitate to convert your YaBB board (or a test copy of it) to SE now if you want to make a start!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 05:14:37 PM by Peter Duggan » Logged

hebxi1
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2003, 08:15:16 PM »

Due to the number of mods that I had on my old YaBB board, I had nothing but problems when I tried to convert to SE.  There was a lot of stuff that was lost simply because the data was different.  I ended up giving up on it and am actually using YaBB 1.3.1 for one board and SE for another.

I'm happy with both and am just waiting for YaBB 2 and SMF to come out and will see if converting is needed or even an option at that point ...

However, if you're definitely wanting to go from YaBB to SMF, doing a mid-way convert to YaBB SE (I think) would make it much easier and you can do that now while we wait for SMF.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2003, 11:37:48 PM »

4.  My biggest complaint with YaBB is that if a user forget some little thing like putting a subject on his post, the software makes him/her go back to add it, and in the process deletes the entire post.  This has made several people uh, unhappy.  Has this been corrected in SM?

Yes.

Quote5.  Is this board running on SE or SM?

YaBB SE, but the other is running SMF:
http://www.simplemachines.org/

Both sites are running of the same server, so you can tell how much faster and better SMF is ;).

-[Unknown]
Daniel Hofverberg
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2003, 09:52:35 PM »

As far as I know, that is fixed already in YaBB SE (at least in the more recent versions)...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  The Recent Changes. « previous - next »