Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 26, 2024, 01:28:26 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Re: Taking The Next Step « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Re: Taking The Next Step  (Read 4656 times)
mad
Noobie

I was a llama!

Re: Taking The Next Step
« on: August 12, 2003, 06:04:07 PM »

I know the thread: "Taking The Next Step" was locked, you can lock this one, delete it delete me for all I care.

All I see is everyone fretting over a name and avoiding the issue that concerns YOUR dedicated group of followers. That is simply unprofessional on everyone that is involved's part. Great you have a new name backed by all new code. Thats wonderful really, but i care less. I run a YaBB forum. It isn't modded to death luckily for me apparently. I do run PfaBB as a mod. I want to know. What is being done for people like myself? Do I have to rebuild my entire forum if I am using a portal that is not going to be supported? What about other mods? I know there is an upgrade script. Again big deal. Unless this upgrade script can manage to upgrade my mods and what not too. I think that is what concerns most of us. We don't care about the reputation, I am sure you do and that is understandable. When you develop something like this though and you get all of these people to back you and support what you do, it is important you don't just sudden'y turn your back on them and say "Just trust us". We as users and board owners just want to know what our future holds. We know what a nightmare it is to have to recreate a forum, and to try and save all of your users, messages and so forth. Is there some kind of list somewhere that says if you are using this portal or this mods or whatever you are going to be screwed?

As for those of you who are about to flame about the fact that I only registered today, who cares? I have been using YaBB for about 6 months, I am sure it is not as long as a lot of you. In that time I have never needed nor wanted to post anything here. But this decision affects me and my website. I just want reassurance that I am not screwed because I do not run a totally stock YaBBSE site. I love YaBB but I could care less what you call it. Call it SuckyBB for all i give a crap. I just want to know that the people have chosen to trust enough to build a website behind will not just up and leave everyone hanging high and dry. Anyways, it will be interesting to see what appens to this thread and my username. ;D Again i have not formed any opinions on SMF, my present concern is my current site not your future brainchild. What will become of those of us with mods. All I am looking for is some "Simple Answers". Thank you.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 06:31:03 PM »

Look, I would be the guy who rewrote everything...

As you know, Michelle has been and will be working on a new version of PfaBB (or, I think "Engima") for SMF.  You will be able to upgrade to this, and everything will go fine.  You can ask her for more details.

As far as mods... what mods do you want?  The smilies mod?  That's going to be builtin. (well, a new one is.)  Allowed User mod?  Already have something like it in there.  Skins mod? Nope, something better is there right now.

The rest of the development team and I are doing our best to make sure SMF will work for you.  And, don't act as if the situation is desparate.... if there's something on your mind - ask.  I'm always ready to answer.

-[Unknown]
mad
Noobie

I was a llama!

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 07:35:29 PM »

Thank you tons for that answer not once was any of the good stuff mentioned before!!!!!!!!!! I had my suspicions about enigma and smf maybe being for each other and to be honest I haven't looked into either enigma or SMF (yet) because my primary concern is my current board. As far as mods go, I don't really use any, I have played around with Supermod, and I found that I liked the Mood Mod, and the one that allows you to give the Global Moderators different permissions. If they come intergrated with SMf then super! If not no biggie to me. I personally just want my site secure above all else. Everything else can be added later. I just wonder about those who do use a lot of mods how they will fare. But honestly in the end i am like everyone else I am concerned about my own site. I do commend you on YaBBSE and if SMF is anything bit as good, which I am sure it is, then I commmend you for that as well. Names mean nothing performance is always the true test. Thank you for that most swift reply, Maybe you should sticky this one, because it has answers that i couldn't find anywhere. Thanks again!!
mad
Noobie

I was a llama!

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 07:39:47 PM »

Oh and now that I have been reassured, I am headed over to SMF to signup and read about all of the exciting changes that seem to be in store! One other minor question. With the upgrade script that has been mentioned, will that have the ability to upgrade PfaBB to Enigma or will that have to be installed after, doesn't matter to me either way just curious :D
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 08:59:50 PM »

Those details... actually need to be worked out.  I have no adpated the script (yet) for Engima.

-[Unknown]
Michele
Beta Tester
YaBB God

I can't wait for YaBB SE 2!

Mad+Moya WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 07:21:35 PM »

Unknown, once you have the script down, can I take a look at it? We're doing some db changes ourselves, and it will take us a while to integrate yours and ours. :)

Michele

formerly Mad Moya
PfaBB - http://pfabb.lunabyte.com
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  Re: Taking The Next Step « previous - next »