Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
March 29, 2024, 01:59:20 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  Taking The Next Step « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Taking The Next Step  (Read 267388 times)
Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

Re:Taking The Next Step
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2003, 07:29:31 PM »

Kitty, you missunderstood Jeff's post, and I think Jeff missunderstood that your translated post hinted that you're having some trouble upgrading

if you read the chat log carefully, Jeff himself stressed that the new forum (SMF) will be FREE and will remain FREE forever
that charter member is just like an advance paid support for people that would like to get involved a lot or need a lot of help/customization to their forum
but not to worry, free support is still offered, and will always still be offered, unlike some other forum...

thought this was locked a few minutes ago, so I sent u an Im too... :P

My mods, ysePak, codes, tutorials
    Support question IMs = bad.
chris
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2003, 07:30:36 PM »

Quote from: Kitty on August 03, 2003, 06:45:47 PMWho thinks Jeff Lewis  he is !! to make such a remark !!
That giving me a no  trust at all  for the good support people get all over the world from YaBB !!

Probably, Jeff thinks he is the guy who wrote most of YaBB SE together with Joseph and a few others... probably he thinks, that he is the one paying the bills for the server, probably he thinks he is the guy who had the idea (with some others) to take YSE to the next level... to move it away from the bad reputation it gained because some mistake YSE for YaBB 1 (Gold) and didn't know how much security work we put into the new versions, making YSE much securer than it was...

And do you know whats funny? All those stuff that Jeff probably thinks is true...

QuoteI am talking for the people i give support,  should they pay for an upgrade to ??? ....  No Free support stay's ...
but for how long ???

SMF will be as free as YSE... the only difference is, that you can get some special services if you pay... nothing more...

QuoteI know the code writers did a lot of work, worked very very hard I have seen a preview of this version in june, it looks great, i think they did a good job.
I can not find a download on the new site so i did not tested it by myself.

Just wait until a first public release is available... ::)

QuoteJust the way this is pressented gives me a  gmmbbllll feeling.....  that not the way i expected it

Yeah, and some people probably don't like the way YaBB.nl reacted on some things ::)

So simply calm down and wait what happens....
Douglas
aka The Bear
Support Team
YaBB God

Bears rule! Llamas rule too!

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2003, 08:03:11 PM »

I'm sorry, I beg to differ.  Look at the load times.  Look at how everything is placed together.  Look at the features that are now STANDARD.  There's more changes on the coding then even I can see.  There's changes being made for Mod files to ensure the integrity of them and the fact that they'll work with the SMF system...

I'm sorry you feel the way that you do, however, if I didn't like the changes myself, i certainly wouldn't have requested to stay on as a member of the support team, or even be interested in porting the pathetic mods that I have over to the SMF version (IF they're not incorporated already, or planned for incorporation).

You seriously need to take a step back and read what you post, and before you even post, do a little investigation.  IPB's going through similar changes as well, so it's going to be interesting to see what you have to say about their changes.  :D

Need help? Please SEARCH first.  No need for a bad attitude, we like helping positive minded people.
ComeHit.us Short URL  redirection svcs with YSE powered forums, COMING SOON!
Want to say thanks?  Check out http://comehit.us/?u=3
David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2003, 08:03:13 PM »

I'm sorry that you feel is that it is just a new look.  The backend is completly different which will become aparent if you take a look at the code when it is released.

Grudge
Global Moderator

Damn llama's don't like me :(

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2003, 08:10:18 PM »

Nightstalker,

I am under the impression that this *is* the next version of YABB SE just with a different name. I'm sure they haven't removed features just because of a change in name.

Also, SMF is still not finished and is still being worked on so it's not like features are even final. I don't believe that any features would have been lost because of the name change...

Of course I'm not in a position to say really but I obviously see it differently than you :D
Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2003, 08:11:00 PM »

Quote from: NightStalker on August 03, 2003, 07:56:30 PM
All this new board is is YaBBSE with a different skin.

it's the other way around actually
the code is completely new, but still using YSE look (as one of the templates)

sensovision

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2003, 08:12:48 PM »

Quote from: NightStalker on August 03, 2003, 08:04:57 PM
It's funny how you get people's hopes up for YaBBSE 2, and just trash the entire project just like that.
NightStalker, is the name mean so much for you?? you said yourself that it's same YaBB, and does it change anything if board upgraded to next level and change it's name while great community who make it remain the same and still support it??? it's community so most important here is community, not a look or name of new board but people who support it and make it avaiable for thousand people all around the world. For me this is counts not name or skin which could be altered anytime...
And I really sorry to see that you blame people who brining this great free software to you and other folks who are wating for it for so long.

Denis

Are you good with the graphic? check out our design logo contest!
charpress
Noobie

No, you're a llama!

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2003, 08:14:13 PM »

Well, I'm off to take a look and judge for myself.

All I know is that originally I added a YaBBSE forum to my site as an afterthought and now it has become my site's main entry page. What happens is important to me, but I assume you guys know best and that I'll be happy with what you're doing.
Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2003, 08:23:06 PM »

NightStalker, if you're a big fan of YaBBSE, why is it that u just registered here a few hours ago?
are just trying to hide your previous identity, or are you completely new in this forum? if you _are_ new, then u've missed a lot of discussions on the next version and our recent chat session, which will explain a lot about the name changing decision

Ben_S
Disciple of Joe
Support Team
YaBB God

I Love YaBB SE!

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2003, 08:25:40 PM »

Unless you have seen the code how can you judge?

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2003, 09:19:42 PM »

Don't know why you guys reply to him...he JUST registered and his only 5 posts were in this thread  ::)

Metho

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2003, 11:10:51 PM »

haha. Anyhow, people should quit arguing about whether the move/changes...they've already happened!! :D There's no stopping it now. Simple Machines has gained momentum and it's going to keep going.

And for those of you who DON'T think that people still equate the name YaBB SE with YaBB... I had suggested to the creator of an article management system (php/mysql run) who was looking for a forum to integrate with to check out Yabb SE. The first three replies were 'I heard that was slow' 'I heard a lot of hosts don't like those perl scripts' and 'Yabb is old and slow!' (note the absence of SE on that last comment)

Sorry, people still don't do their homework. They still think it's Yabb. *shrug* But this is like arguing about whether WWII should start...it's already happened.

Methonis

Fizzy

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2003, 11:38:21 PM »

Hey Metho,

We all know there there are ignorant morons who don't know the difference between Gold and SE, but then there are those that do research and can see the difference.

YaBBSE stands alone from Gold because it is far superior, faster and more resourceful. Some people would not know quality if it bit them on the bum.

Viva SE - God Speed SMF (or what ever the hell you want to call it .... Simple Machines ? Jeez ! What sort of message does that give ? ? )

Edit additional -

Jeez ! I have had time enough now to come to hate the name "Simple Machines".

I'm sorry but simple machines has bugger all to do with php, mysql, forums, message boards, admins, moderators, or any other bloody thing you will find in these pages.

Simple Machines as a name sucks big time.
"Simple" is a dumb ass mistake.

Unpopular ? I know I will be, but hey at least I'm honest.

I could aslways go for a copyright with "Dumb Threads" forum, but then that doesn't exist because no-one was idiot enough to go for a name like that,

"Simple" sucks. Nil Points!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 11:45:40 PM by Fizzy » Logged
Spaceman-Spiff
Mod Team
YaBB God

My $txt[228]

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2003, 12:01:55 AM »

we'll prove you wrong
SMF is going to be a great forum software, whether you like it or not ;)

[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2003, 12:02:59 AM »

Simplicity doesn't imply weakness or dumbness.  It's all in how you take it...

Most people wouldn't get something named "Complex Machines Forum", would they?  Complexity is bad.  Too much simplicity is bad too - but simplicity means that it works, works well, does everything everyone else does, and makes sense.  Who doesn't want that?

-[Unknown]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  YaBB SE Info  |  News From the YaBB SE Team  |  Taking The Next Step « previous - next »