Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 19, 2024, 01:50:56 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  FAQ  |  What is this UD team I keep reading about? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: What is this UD team I keep reading about?  (Read 6004 times)
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

What is this UD team I keep reading about?
« on: April 24, 2002, 10:53:49 PM »

The UD stands for United Devices - it's a system of distributed computing for a variety of purposes.  The YaBB SE Team is dedicating their processing time to Cancer Research.

The idea is very simple (skip this part if you ever did SETI@Home - it's the same idea).  You register and install the client on any number of PCs.  When the client is running, it downloads data from the UD servers, then it uses idle clock cycles on your machine to process that data.  When it's done - it sends the results back to the server.

It's great because there is minimal impact on your machine, but when you add up that little bit of processing from a large number of users - it can really make an impact.

Here is some information on the project
Here is where you can download the client
Here is a link to the YaBB SE Team information

You register by installing and running the client.  It walks you through the rest.  :)

Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  FAQ  |  What is this UD team I keep reading about? « previous - next »