Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
March 29, 2024, 12:43:14 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  FAQ  |  How much improvement in speed will I see with YaBB SE over Yabb? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: How much improvement in speed will I see with YaBB SE over Yabb?  (Read 35276 times)
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

How much improvement in speed will I see with YaBB SE over Yabb?
« on: December 18, 2001, 07:23:54 PM »

This is a biggie.  There are A LOT of factors to consider in this, but there are a couple things to note.

Because we aren't working with text files here, you should see significant improvements in the following areas.
a) When you have a lot of users online - the files aren't being opened and closed all the time, so response time is better
b) When searching - we aren't opening and searching trought tonnes of files, so the search should be more responsive
c) When making large pruning actions like removing a board.  Again, because we aren't dealing with file deletion, this should be much faster.

It's debateable as to whether PHP is universaly faster than PERL, so just bet on SE being much faster on operations requiring complex file-handling.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2001, 07:26:38 PM by Jeff Lewis » Logged

RobDownSouth
Noobie

Excellence In Elocution

Re:How much improvement in speed will I see with YaBB SE over Yabb?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2001, 01:28:43 PM »

Methinks Mr. Fung is a tad too modest. The speed on my board has increased no less than two orders of magnitude. That is a scorchin' 1000 percent than vanilla YaBB. My user base is a very very happy clan this Christmas!  :D
klumy

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2001, 06:36:20 PM »

you are right, searching speed is superb !!
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2001, 06:38:35 PM »

Quote from a user yesterday:

"I can't believe how fast it is. I was at a VB and an iB 3 today -- each with less posts than this board, and I oculdn't believe how long they took to load. I mean, compared to my YaBB Gold and UBB, they used to seem kinda fast.

Not after YaBBSE ;) "  

irbrian

I create. Therefore I am.

brian@inverse-reality.com WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2002, 10:45:36 PM »

I also think Joseph is being modest :) After using YaBB 1 Gold for about 6 months, I had just installed YaBB 1 Gold SP1 on our new server a week before Christmas, and saw a noticeable speed increase, just as the YaBB.Xnull team had claimed. I can only assume this was related to more efficient coding of certain areas? But then I upgraded to YaBB SE -- and I was shocked how much faster the whole thing was. Its even faster than vB (by quite a bit, from what I've seen).. and to be honest I can't say I know why, but there it is in black and white... my board is significantly faster than several vB's I visit.

Imparting great wisdom daily to those who will mistake my words as such.
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2002, 11:06:00 PM »

Well thre are several factors in each different site but yes I would be surprised to see a faster Perl YaBB anywhere.  Considering we're using the same mess of a code base they have, SE can get much better...

Gunslinger
Noobie

I'm the wizard

ICQ - 27118866 WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2002, 07:39:39 AM »

Whats not a perl problem :) Install mod_perl and feel the difference :) The main speed problem of original YaBB is using plain txt files. MySQL do the job :)

I will change it all.
pshows
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2002, 01:54:38 AM »

My host will only let me run YabbSE because it uses less resources than the other. I am very happy with it.
cyc
Noobie

I love YaBB SE!

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2002, 12:11:02 PM »

SE would have to be 2-3 times faster

VanGogh
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2002, 06:31:36 PM »

If you want to boost the speed even further, I highly suggest this thread.

http://www.yabb.info/community/index.php?board=135;action=display;threadid=6599;start=120
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  English User Help  |  FAQ  |  How much improvement in speed will I see with YaBB SE over Yabb? « previous - next »