Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
March 28, 2024, 11:01:24 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  The Better Board? YaBBSE or phpBB. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Reply Ignore Print
Poll
Question: What is your BB of choice??
YabbSE
phpBB

Author Topic: The Better Board? YaBBSE or phpBB.  (Read 25861 times)
HyperDev

Have drumsticks, will travel.

gtcproject@hotmail.com WWW
Re:The Better Board? Yabbse or phpBB.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2003, 04:30:10 AM »

YaBB SE is also easier for the average user to use ... or at least I think it is.  8)

--JC

HyperDev Admin

Will drum for food TO PISS GIRLS OFF! (Only reason I'd do anything.)

Proud Member of HHS Drumline

Mach8 and [Unknown], I still don't know how you convinced me girls aren't evil.

And please, SAVE THE LLAMAS!!!
Coyote
YaBB God

I love YaBB SE!

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2003, 07:28:58 AM »

Quote from: Scott on June 19, 2003, 04:25:59 PM
Some of the numbers:

phpBB Community
597803 articles
68021 registered users
190 online :: 35 Registered, 7 Hidden, 148 Guests
327 most online at once

YaBBSE Community
152620 Posts, 19997 Topics
8931 Members
29 Guests, 33 and Users currenlty online

That is a total abuse of statistics  ;D

PhpBB 2 had been in development for over a year when YabbSE launched - so Im guessing PhpBB has been around at least 2 years before YaBBSE

And even so - just because there are more Ford owners than BMW's doesnt mean that the ford is the better car.

I personally havent used PHPBB - but I guess its about what you feel happy with. If the look and style and flexability of a particular board system makes you feel warm inside, then go with that.

Dont forget, you also need to consider the how much the developers and comunity pull together - how quick security patches are pushed out.

As far as I am concerned - YaBBSE rocks in that respect ;)

If your still unsure - go with YaBBSE - because its better  ;D

Nuff Said.

To the world - you are just one person, but to one person you are the world!
Søren Bjerg
Noobie

\o/

ICQ - 28642382britneyspearsdk@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2003, 10:14:39 AM »

I'd definitely choose YaBBSE over phpBB anyday, as I really dislike "the way phpBB is" (not really sure how to elaborate on that... umm) - opinion gathered from frequenting a few sites, which uses the phpBB forum :-X.

Gimme my YaBBSE ;D.
haase

Do you feel lucky?

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2003, 02:22:22 AM »

Well, I'll have to say that I don't have much experience with phpBB.  But recently I decided to switch over a friends forum from UBB to YaBB SE.  Currently YaBB SE is much better with more features and easier to use.  The only way to convert was to first convert from UBB to phpBB, and then to YaBB SE.

After the conversion to phpBB, I took a look around.  I'm a member at tons of different forums, but suspiciously enough, none of them are phpBB forums.  I saw a few features, such as locked/read only boards that made me think twice about finishing the conversion process.  I played with it for about a week, and I finally decided that it would be easier to finish off the conversion to YaBB SE and mod it to my needs - rather than deal with phpBB.

One thing I've got to say about YaBB SE...  the code's pretty clean and easy enough to get into if you need to make adjustments.  I'm sure Mr. Unkown W. Brackets can vouch for that.  ;D

And speaking along those lines...  I don't know about the phpBB community, but there are a lot of people around here that will code mods for you just for asking...  you can't beat that.

I'll also have to argue that stats aren't everything.  How many of those posts on phpBB are users asking for help.  ;)
haase

Do you feel lucky?

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2003, 02:27:47 AM »

Just thought I'd like to add that I'm a little disappoited at how some people have responded to this thread.  It's your chance to sell YaBB SE, and get the word out as to why it's a better board.  There's no need to slam the guy for trying to do a little research.  Of course he knows that most of us think that YaBB SE is a better board...  but why?  just saying "Because I think it's best" isn't good enough...  If you had 50 people here saying just that, and he posted the same thread on phpBB and got 50 legitimate answers detailing specific reasons, then the poor guy would probably go off thinking that phpBB is better.

Shame on you all. Half of you telling him he's an idiot for posting that, and the other half saying our community is better.   ???
Metho

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2003, 06:31:26 AM »

Just two points:

Firstly, as others have mentioned, it doesn't do new posts based on last visit crap. Both phpBB and vBulletin do this (site I frequent uses vBulletin, drives me nuts).

Secondly, not that I've tried fishing around the code of the others, but YaBBSE is so clearly and logically written that it's insanely easy to modify and rework to suit your needs. I didn't realize this fact until I recently tried to mod some other php article software, the code was an absolute mess and frustrating to work through.

Methonis

[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2003, 06:34:57 AM »

And with comments litterally EVERYWHERE in 1.6.0... it'll soon be even better! :D

-[Unknown]
Metho

I'm a llama!

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2003, 06:59:38 AM »

*Happy*  ;D

Grudge
Global Moderator

Damn llama's don't like me :(

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2003, 10:01:48 PM »

I installed YABBSE before I installed phpBB and was originally a little dissapointed with the relatively small amount of mods available (I had been using Original yabb for a month or two before hand). Because of this I install phpBB as a test board as there is more hacks available. However - I just could NOT get on with it at all. It's a mess - and the template system is just plain horrible. I decided not to run with it and decided to learn php/MySQL myself and just make the hacks I wanted.

YABB SE is *much* easier to understand and use from an admin point of view than phpbb (IMHO). The code is incredibly sensible and the people here are generally very helpful/friendly (appart from that damn karma sucking llama  :P )

Like someone else said I see many boards who haven't been able to make a 'unique' site from phpbb but I rarely see a standard issue YABB SE board which generally means people who use it seem to have more interesting forums.

Hopefully when the new version comes out interest in YABB SE will sky rocket and it will get the attention it deserves :)
HyperDev

Have drumsticks, will travel.

gtcproject@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2003, 10:19:15 PM »

I also like YaBB SE because stuff is sorted neatly into separate files. YSE is very easy to customize.

I would never switch.

--JC

HyperDev Admin

Will drum for food TO PISS GIRLS OFF! (Only reason I'd do anything.)

Proud Member of HHS Drumline

Mach8 and [Unknown], I still don't know how you convinced me girls aren't evil.

And please, SAVE THE LLAMAS!!!
oldiesmann
YaBB God

Jesus died for your sins... Have you thanked him?

oldiesmann@oldiesmann.us WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2003, 10:45:04 PM »

I have played around with phpBB some (I enjoy playing with messageboards), and YaBB SE is a nicer board. First of all, they have more BBCode tags than phpBB, and the mod development is a lot more active here. I don't know why phpBB is more popular, but I do prefer YaBB SE. YaBB SE is also more user-friendly. The Admin Center layout is very nice, and all of the features are easy to figure out.

"I've sinned greatly, but Christ's for real, baby
It's a wonder He saved me and just didn't hate me
So won't you tell Him "Save me"
Please stand up, please stand up, please stand up..." - J. Jackson (More Info)
acf [delete me]!
YaBB God

la especialidad de grafic

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2003, 07:35:34 PM »

SMF will beat you all /sevillaugh  ;D

𺰘¨wÂmbÂm¨˜°ºð
Noobie

WAMBAM AM DA MAN :P

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2003, 12:12:19 AM »

yep i dont like phpbb
and i will say the yabb community is definitely the friendliest amongst them all

will say i would like a view new posts feature i sorely miss that :P

[Shadow=#006699,left,300]𺰘¨wÂmbÂm¨˜°ºð[/shadow]
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2003, 12:34:39 AM »

Quote from: 𺰘¨wÂmbÂm¨˜°ºð on August 19, 2003, 12:12:19 AM
yep i dont like phpbb
and i will say the yabb community is definitely the friendliest amongst them all

will say i would like a view new posts feature i sorely miss that :P

Well, it's a good thing SMF has a feature like it, isn't it?

-[Unknown]
Scottb
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2003, 08:22:48 PM »

I'm new to running a message board and I must say YaBBSE is very coool and easy to use. I mean even when something went wrong on my board it was easy to fix because the codding is simple.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  The Better Board? YaBBSE or phpBB. « previous - next »