Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
March 29, 2024, 10:58:04 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  The Better Board? YaBBSE or phpBB. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Reply Ignore Print
Poll
Question: What is your BB of choice??
YabbSE
phpBB

Author Topic: The Better Board? YaBBSE or phpBB.  (Read 25864 times)
andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

Re:The Better Board? Yabbse or phpBB.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2003, 07:11:52 PM »

When I choosed my forum software I installed testwise several different forums and examined them. I would recommend you to do the same and have a closer look to those forums which interest you most. I started about 2 years ago with the perl version and switched end of 2001 to the php/mysql version here.

TheJkWhoSaysNi
YaBB God

I dont know what to put here, i'll leave it blank.

ICQ - 122821095TheJkWhoSaysNi@evilemail.com WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2003, 07:35:33 PM »

The thing I love about YaBBSE Is the template! The way its very easy to make a new layout for your forum unlike phpbb where it is much more compicated. Although this is a biased opinion YaBB SE > phpBB, infact i dont really like phpbb at all, Invision board is better and imo you should be comparing that and YaBB SE instead.

WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
I'm listening to....
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »

I agree.  Invision and vBulletin are both, imho, better than phpBB.

I actually sorta like some things about vBulletin.  However, I like YaBB SE a lot more - then again, I'm a developer.

-[Unknown]
Joseph Fung
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Keep smiling: it makes others nervous.

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2003, 03:46:13 AM »

there are a few things in vbulletin that I find infuriating - like the "make a new topic" button in the topic display pages :P I keep posting new topics when I mean to reply :P

David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2003, 04:23:20 AM »

Quote from: Joseph Fung on June 20, 2003, 03:46:13 AM
there are a few things in vbulletin that I find infuriating - like the "make a new topic" button in the topic display pages :P I keep posting new topics when I mean to reply :P
I do that too. :-[

acf [delete me]!
YaBB God

la especialidad de grafic

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2003, 07:29:42 AM »

Did you ask this question on phpbb too?
If so i would like to read there reply..

Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

The shrub demands war. I don't. The world doesn't.

ICQ - 69234983clickopedia@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2003, 11:50:27 PM »

Ok,

I've used both boards.  Now, I can honestly say, that out of all the php bulletin board I've tried, my least favorite is phpBB.

Firstly, let me say I have tried 3 PHP boards: YaBB SE, phpBB, and Invision Board.

My personal favorite functionality wise is actually Invision, though I use YaBB SE because it's far easier to use, and feels familiar since I've been here/with the original yabb so long.

IMHO, phpBB sucks.  IT is really unwieldy to use, rips features form other boards (though, actually this is true of all boards ;)), and is just.... umm... well, the only word I can describe it with is 'icky'.

It took me ages to figure out how to fix up the tmeplate to my needs, and if you look at most phpBB boards, you'll see that they use pre-done skins from phpBB.com cause they're such a bitch to customize.

For a big project, I'd use YaBB SE.  I don't recommend invision because for big pojects you want something easy to use, zippy, and somewhere to look in case you ever need support.  Although I still think YaBB original has the best suppport around (psst.. I am a support member there so I am biased), Yabb SE's support is AWESOME, and people here will go out of there way to help you IF you ever run into any problems.

But anyway, that's just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth, and please don't shout at me - I have a mother who takes care of that for you ;).

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
Aeon

Chaos Forces

never_mind86@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2003, 05:43:40 PM »

Quote from: Scott on June 19, 2003, 04:25:59 PM
Some of the numbers:

phpBB Community
597803 articles
68021 registered users
190 online :: 35 Registered, 7 Hidden, 148 Guests
327 most online at once

YaBBSE Community
152620 Posts, 19997 Topics
8931 Members
29 Guests, 33 and Users currenlty online

that's because phpbb is [older] than yabb ... but still yabbse RULES :D

I still don't know what Classes and Object-Orinted do!!?
do you know what they do and why they existed ?!
please tell me and I will appreciate it ..
Ben_S
Disciple of Joe
Support Team
YaBB God

I Love YaBB SE!

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2003, 06:10:39 PM »

You missed this one for yabb se
QuoteMost Online: 477 - February 02, 2003, 06:21:41 PM
I, Brian

It is coming...

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2003, 08:55:44 PM »

Actually, I guess if I stand back for a moment then the only real reply would be to say that each forum software has its strengths and weaknesses, and therefore which is "best" will always actually depend upon the user needs.

The idea of installing more than one forum, then playing with them, is perhaps the most sage advice.

Scott
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2003, 12:15:55 AM »

I whole heartedly agree with you on that last point. At first glance there is always something to be said for the nice interface and graphics. As you install and configure you quickly learn some of the more intrinsic features of each product. So far so good on YaBB, I really think it meets our needs well.
mephisto_kur

Hi ho.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2003, 06:27:52 AM »

I agree completely with Shoeb.  The only reason I prefer YaBBSE over Invisionboard is familiarity.  Invision is just as fast, if not faster.  The community over there is a bit less friendly, unfortunately, so that is also a big plus for YaBBSE.  YaBBSE is much easier to get up and running and do some interesting visuals for, but Invision is much more advanced and ultimately more customizable.  phpBB is horrible.  Easily the worst of the major free products.  When I first went looking for a forum software, I chose YaBBSE because I just wanted a site up fast without too much effort.  Shortly after, I tried phpBB, then Invision, then a hacked version of vB.  I hated phpBB above all the others. vB sucks simply because you can find the same or better features in most free products.

Awmp, ding, soo googoongee doop, dee
Googoo Fleegoogeegoo
Goo Fleegoogeegoo
Duht, Deeheeh
Oogoogoog Dtee
Oogoogagoo oogoogweee
Fleegoogeegoo, fleegow
Go go mah mah mefs sufh yeah...
HyperDev

Have drumsticks, will travel.

gtcproject@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2003, 12:46:42 AM »

YaBB SE is the easiest to use. When I was new to the whole BBS thing, I went to 4 forums (and have since been to a few more).

Cybiko Forums (vBulletin) - Well, this was not a pleasant experience. I couldn't figure out what anything did. I wonder how they pull off making you pay for that software.

Compteks.net Forums (Invision) - This has to be the coolest BBS eve-- WHAT!? How the hell do I use this?! It was generally not pleasant for the first few weeks.

Ransom Network (phpBB) - I didn't spend more than 5 minutes here. I thought it was a big fat, impossible-to-use ugly.

GSFX Graphics (YaBB SE) - Hey, this is cool. It's simple. I can find things. Plus, I can actually see if there are new posts! Cool!

Cyblizzard (YaBB SE) - Well, they were down for about a year, but when they came back, I finally saw YaBB SE's full potential.

I run the HyperDev forums at http://www.tshastry.com/hyperdev.

--JC

HyperDev Admin

Will drum for food TO PISS GIRLS OFF! (Only reason I'd do anything.)

Proud Member of HHS Drumline

Mach8 and [Unknown], I still don't know how you convinced me girls aren't evil.

And please, SAVE THE LLAMAS!!!
Chris Cromer
The Strange One
Mod Team
YaBB God

I am just a figment of your imagination.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2003, 01:32:35 AM »

QuoteWell, this was not a pleasant experience. I couldn't figure out what anything did. I wonder how they pull off making you pay for that software.
Because some people actually think that software that costs money MUST be better than free software... which is not always true.

Chris Cromer

I am not suffering from insanity, I am enjoying every minute of it.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2003, 01:43:22 AM »

Indeed, it's often not true.

-[Unknown]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  General Category  |  Feedback  |  The Better Board? YaBBSE or phpBB. « previous - next »