Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:45 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Portal Discussion  |  YaPP is coming back!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: YaPP is coming back!!  (Read 12661 times)
Chris Cromer
The Strange One
Mod Team
YaBB God

I am just a figment of your imagination.

Re:Yapp is coming back!!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2003, 04:04:50 AM »

As I have told them, I will be willing to make the installer/updater like I used to do back in the old YaPP days.

Chris Cromer

I am not suffering from insanity, I am enjoying every minute of it.
Jedi~
Eric
Beta Tester
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2003, 10:40:32 AM »

Quote from: Carmille on May 05, 2003, 03:44:53 AM
whatever you do, PLEASE grant us a nice auto merger & updater proggie.... PLEEEEEEEZe :D

A faithful user ;) hee hee

Anyway, GRATZ Eric...!!

(great news indeed!!)

Carmille
happy happy joy joy

Of course we will provide an updater from both YaPP v0.6 and the latest PfaBB version.
haase

Do you feel lucky?

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2003, 02:05:05 PM »

Quote from: Chris Cromer on May 05, 2003, 01:45:44 AM
Well I know Eric pretty well, he prefers to use his own code that way he knows how things work and what to look for/do when a bug arises.

Well, I know CrazyC's mod does exactly what it's supposed to do, and as far as links management, it doesn't get much simpler to use from a UI perspective.  I don't know about Eric's code.  I do know that Eric's going to have to learn to share his code with others and use other code for this new "arrangement" to work.
Jedi~
Eric
Beta Tester
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2003, 06:18:06 PM »

I realize that, here's the thing though.
(This doesn't apply to anyone specific, so I'm not dissing anyone with this, just a general statement.)
Just because something does what it's supposed to, doesn't mean it does so effeciently or effectively, that's why I usually trust only my own code so I can easily make sure it does both. In this new case, I'll look over code before I add it.. make it more effecient if need be, if not great! :)
CrazyC

My name says enough.

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2003, 06:50:19 PM »

QuoteI realize that, here's the thing though.
(This doesn't apply to anyone specific, so I'm not dissing anyone with this, just a general statement.)
Just because something does what it's supposed to, doesn't mean it does so effeciently or effectively, that's why I usually trust only my own code so I can easily make sure it does both. In this new case, I'll look over code before I add it.. make it more effecient if need be, if not great!  

I have no problems at all with someone critiqing or editing any code that I have written to make it more efficient if it is or isn't to be included in any software package.  In fact, I'm more than willing to do my best applying any coding suggestions with any mods that I write.  

As I'm sure, Haase will agree with me fully on this.  We just don't want to have mods overlooked for possible inclusion into any program because someone is stuck on only using their own code and saying well, that mod just isn't efficient enough to be added.  Most mod writers tend to spend a lot of time taking user suggestions into consideration to help improve features of YaBB, PfaBB or Yapp and work hard at creating the mods.  If any particular mod is well liked by the community and full of features, I just feel that they should at least be considered for inclusion and if they need updating, talk to the author about it so it can be done.  I know that I'm not the greatest coder in the world by far, but we were all new at one time and have to learn/start somewhere.

This post is not meant to complain, but more to portray an opinion of mine and I'm sure, a few others.  As long as everyone is willing to work together and be considerate, we'll all be happy with the final product.  The joining of PfaBB and Yapp into a new portal is a great idea and things look like they're working out pretty good.

CrazyC
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 07:24:26 PM »

I'd also like to say on this.... mods by nature aren't effecient.  It's hard to make them effecient when putting the feature in... without large code changes everywhere.

That's why when the feature is added to the distribution, it *should* be cleanly and completely added, with effeciency in mind.

This goes for YaBB SE, YaPP, and PfaBB.

-[Unknown]
Michele
Beta Tester
YaBB God

I can't wait for YaBB SE 2!

Mad+Moya WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2003, 08:32:50 PM »

Quote from: [Unknown] on May 05, 2003, 07:24:26 PM
I'd also like to say on this.... mods by nature aren't effecient.  It's hard to make them effecient when putting the feature in... without large code changes everywhere.

That's why when the feature is added to the distribution, it *should* be cleanly and completely added, with effeciency in mind.

This goes for YaBB SE, YaPP, and PfaBB.

-[Unknown]

What he said. :)

formerly Mad Moya
PfaBB - http://pfabb.lunabyte.com
Purple Raine
Beta Tester

Who's Yo Daddy?

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2003, 06:06:19 PM »

Happy to see everyone working together...

Let's get the ball rolling!
Shoeb Omar
Disciple of Joe
YaBB God

The shrub demands war. I don't. The world doesn't.

ICQ - 69234983clickopedia@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2003, 06:13:38 PM »

can't wait to see the joint version ;D

"If we all practice an eye for an eye, pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - Gandhi

We need to start listening to advocates of peace in oder to advance society. We have not grown from the prehistoric barbarians we once were.  Will society ever mature?
The Wolf
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »

*yes* :D
eteune

Estoy un tlacuache!

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2003, 07:32:10 PM »

Will it have better user admin stuff?
I'm not too familiar with either one of the portals, but I really need to be able to add multiple users quickly, put users in multiple groups, have user admin be part of the admin screen, etc.

Sorry if you already have this, just my two cents.

Ed

...sin otra luz ni guía
sino la que en el corazón ardía.
(San Juan de la Cruz)
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Portal Discussion  |  YaPP is coming back!! « previous - next »