Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 19, 2024, 09:59:32 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Portal Discussion  |  How do I migrate/port/whatever? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: How do I migrate/port/whatever?  (Read 3383 times)
DickBarton
Noobie

The Quest for Singletrack is Endless

How do I migrate/port/whatever?
« on: March 21, 2003, 01:09:32 PM »

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of re-developing my website from static HTML into a PHP/MySQL based solution. One of the busiest sections on my site is my discussion board - currently YaBB SP1.2. I would prefer to remove the need for cgi throughout the site and this means moving to YaBB SE - no problem overall, but I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you folks can answer -

1 - is there any way that I can migrate my existing boards/threads and users over from the old system to the new one?

2 - I have 4 mods installed on my board - Calendar, announcement, poll and Latest News (which is a SSI to the front page to show the 10 newest threads - can these be migrated as well or do I update these once they are available for YaBB SE (I'm assuming they aren't just now)

3 - How much quicker does the system run? (bit of a stupid question as it cand epend on many things but overall is it faster than the cgi-based version?)

4 - Bandwidth/CPU time - does this increase or decrease? My host is complaining that my bandwidth may go through the roof when I move the site to PHP/MySQL...I don't think so but have no real proof...so I'd like to be told either way if possible.

5 - When porting to the new system, I'm assuming I install the new one on my server and have it running at the same time as the old version, then when the migration/port/whatever has been done, I can remove the old version?

I'm sure there will be more questions, but if you could help me with these ones I'd be grateful, thanks.

Richard.
www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk

HELP!!! Somebody get me out of this box!!!
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
Re:How do I migrate/port/whatever?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 03:41:47 PM »

Hello, I'm the guy who bothered you over at YaBB's site ;).

Quote from: DickBarton on March 21, 2003, 01:09:32 PM
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of re-developing my website from static HTML into a PHP/MySQL based solution. One of the busiest sections on my site is my discussion board - currently YaBB SP1.2. I would prefer to remove the need for cgi throughout the site and this means moving to YaBB SE - no problem overall, but I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you folks can answer -

1 - is there any way that I can migrate my existing boards/threads and users over from the old system to the new one?
http://www.yabbse.org/community/index.php?board=132;action=display;threadid=18377

2 - I have 4 mods installed on my board - Calendar, announcement, poll and Latest News (which is a SSI to the front page to show the 10 newest threads - can these be migrated as well or do I update these once they are available for YaBB SE (I'm assuming they aren't just now)
The Calendar, SSI and poll mods are integrated, not sure about "announcements"... if you mean stickies those are too.

3 - How much quicker does the system run? (bit of a stupid question as it cand epend on many things but overall is it faster than the cgi-based version?)
Much faster.  And it takes a surprising amount less of bandwidth.

4 - Bandwidth/CPU time - does this increase or decrease? My host is complaining that my bandwidth may go through the roof when I move the site to PHP/MySQL...I don't think so but have no real proof...so I'd like to be told either way if possible.
See above.  Hosts don't complain about 1.5.1, because it's really fast.

5 - When porting to the new system, I'm assuming I install the new one on my server and have it running at the same time as the old version, then when the migration/port/whatever has been done, I can remove the old version?
Something like that.  You install the new one, run the converter, and then close the old one.... and you are done.

I'm sure there will be more questions, but if you could help me with these ones I'd be grateful, thanks.

Richard.
www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk

PS: This was the wrong board....

-[Unknown]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2003, 03:42:16 PM by [Unknown] » Logged
DickBarton
Noobie

The Quest for Singletrack is Endless

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 04:09:19 PM »

Ah, ok...I wasn't sure where I should post it. Thanks for answering my questions anyway...I think I'll download and install this and run it before I redevelop my existing site.

Thanks for the comments and help,

Richard.

HELP!!! Somebody get me out of this box!!!
Chris Cromer
The Strange One
Mod Team
YaBB God

I am just a figment of your imagination.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 04:17:27 PM »

QuoteThe Calendar, SSI and poll mods are integrated, not sure about "announcements"... if you mean stickies those are too.
I think sticky topics are built in to Y1G SP1.2 so I don't beleive he is talking about this... unless he has an old verion of YaBB. He might be talking about announcement boards? If so that is built into YaBBSE.

Chris Cromer

I am not suffering from insanity, I am enjoying every minute of it.
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Portal Discussion  |  How do I migrate/port/whatever? « previous - next »