Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 16, 2024, 01:44:10 PM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Portal Discussion  |  Portal Question? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Portal Question?  (Read 3135 times)
morr0lan

I'm ate llama!

Portal Question?
« on: March 09, 2003, 01:41:19 AM »

I have read every post and reply in this section to ensure I didn't ask something obviously posted prior or which would make me look stupid, but that's another topic. Anyway, i have a site that is for a star trek rpg, and though I like the portal for how it integrates everything together making it more uniform and such, would a portal be able to do this as well as give the look of an actual website visually. In my site I use images of ships and such to attract the eye and pull things together. Can a portal mix visual with organization in such a way, also which would be best to use with Yabbse 1.5.1 which I love btw. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Shadow Sys

Proud to be an American.

Re:Portal Question?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 03:07:04 AM »

I'm not sure I understand your question...

morr0lan

I'm ate llama!

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 03:12:10 AM »

Boy i did suck on clarifying that, i mean for instance here is my site. http://www.our-utopia.com/alaska i love the imagery i use in it to show basically what it is about as well as it's simplicity, however i want to make my site look closer to my yabbse forum http://www.our-utopia.com/UssAlaska as well as be able to organize so if one went to the site they could see how the site and forum are together without having a sorta boxy feel to it. if that makes sense.
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 03:14:16 AM »

Question with paragraphs: (:P j/k)

"I would like to know if it's possible to change a portal, such as YaPP or pfaBB, to be more like a website.

You see, portals are usally cluttered, and not much like a website.  [This website, yabbse.org, is a good example of a website - not a portal.]  I would like to use a portal of some sort, but make it look like a website.

Is this possible?"

(text in brackets was added, meaning-wise.)

I've actually written a few CMS/portal-ish things.... and they are much less cluttered.  I like them much better that way ;D.  However, they've all been dedicated to one purpose, and hard coded as such.

Actually, they were the first PHP scripts I ever wrote... heh.

-[Unknown]
morr0lan

I'm ate llama!

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 03:18:08 AM »

Unknown i been reading bout your pursuits alot how you made ones which were portalish as you said. Is there any that could be adapted or available for usage or such? ;-)
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 03:21:57 AM »

I'm going to write a new one soon.... perhaps that one.

-[Unknown]
morr0lan

I'm ate llama!

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2003, 03:23:44 AM »

Excellent, last question.. well at least for a few minutes I promise, is Yabb2 going to have a portal integrated with it, or no? And if not what is best till unknown finishes his?
Michele
Beta Tester
YaBB God

I can't wait for YaBB SE 2!

Mad+Moya WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2003, 05:09:24 AM »

Well, PfaBB could probably do it... you wouldn't use most of the block capability (just one for the menu), and you'd have to get rid of the left side blocks, and put most of what's your main site into Pages. Those pages take full html/php code if you need it, or you can just do an include and get rid of that scrollbar. The forum would show up in the left/center area, just like your other pages.

You'd have to tweak the PfaBB/forum template.php to replicate what you see on your main site though.

By using those left and right blocks judiciously, you won't have the boxy look of the default template.php used on my site. All it takes is some imagination, which, by the look of your site, you have a lot of! :)

Good luck, Michele

formerly Mad Moya
PfaBB - http://pfabb.lunabyte.com
morr0lan

I'm ate llama!

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2003, 03:44:56 PM »

Thanx for the compliment michele, as well as your reply. One concern is if I install pfabb, or any of the other portals per say, and I didn't like it for whatever reason, Would uninstalling the portal do any major damage to my existing yabb forum?
mephisto_kur

Hi ho.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2003, 08:50:01 PM »

David posted a converter that will change your forum from PfaBB back to YaBBSE if you feel the need.  It doesn't matter *too* much, tho, as your forum should work with the extra fields if you go back to vanilla YaBBSE.

Awmp, ding, soo googoongee doop, dee
Googoo Fleegoogeegoo
Goo Fleegoogeegoo
Duht, Deeheeh
Oogoogoog Dtee
Oogoogagoo oogoogweee
Fleegoogeegoo, fleegow
Go go mah mah mefs sufh yeah...
Pages: [1] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Portal Discussion  |  Portal Question? « previous - next »