Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 20, 2024, 01:38:30 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: If you are still using YaBB SE, please consider upgrading to SMF as soon as possible.

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Portal Discussion  |  First post!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: First post!!!  (Read 29666 times)
John R
PHP Challenged
Global Moderator

Click, Click, Click, Bang!

ICQ - 3166233codehammer@thevortex.com
Re:First post!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2003, 02:55:16 PM »

Quote from: irbrian on January 22, 2003, 04:17:24 AMI don't like portals. They are too restrictive. No offense to the YaPP guys, or anyone else, thats just my opinion.

The proceeding statement is totally incorrect.  Basically, everything in life is restrictive in one way or another.  We are governed by restrictive laws, etc. BUT for creative endevors you are only restricted by the limits of your imagination.

YaBB SE-YaPP is an interesting symbiotic relationship that seems to work well together.  Don't like some of the features then don't use them.  Want other features then write them.  Just remember you are only restricted by the limit of your own imagination.

cheers...........

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true!

Note: I do not acknowledge support requests via PM, MSN or ICQ, please use the support boards.
David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2003, 04:10:34 PM »

Quote from: John R on January 22, 2003, 02:55:16 PM
Quote from: irbrian on January 22, 2003, 04:17:24 AMI don't like portals. They are too restrictive. No offense to the YaPP guys, or anyone else, thats just my opinion.

The proceeding statement is totally incorrect.  Basically, everything in life is restrictive in one way or another.  We are governed by restrictive laws, etc. BUT for creative endevors you are only restricted by the limits of your imagination.

YaBB SE-YaPP is an interesting symbiotic relationship that seems to work well together.  Don't like some of the features then don't use them.  Want other features then write them.  Just remember you are only restricted by the limit of your own imagination.

cheers...........
What I see as it being restrictive is the general look.  Yes you can fully control the template but you will still never be able to achieve the customibility that you get when designing a site from scratch.  

mephisto_kur

Hi ho.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2003, 04:15:27 PM »

Why not?  The template allows you to move the different components around.  If you switch to usinf CSS, this become even more customizable.  Anything that you don't truely like is easy enough to find in the source and change.

My point here, David, is that you have no issue using a Forum software that is just as restrictive, but you do have a problem with a portal that adds features you don't even have to use....

Awmp, ding, soo googoongee doop, dee
Googoo Fleegoogeegoo
Goo Fleegoogeegoo
Duht, Deeheeh
Oogoogoog Dtee
Oogoogagoo oogoogweee
Fleegoogeegoo, fleegow
Go go mah mah mefs sufh yeah...
David
Destroyer Dave
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm not a llama!

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2003, 04:18:17 PM »

Quote from: mephisto_kur on January 22, 2003, 04:15:27 PMMy point here, David, is that you have no issue using a Forum software that is just as restrictive, but you do have a problem with a portal that adds features you don't even have to use....
I am not going to get into this with you because all I see is flames.

irbrian

I create. Therefore I am.

brian@inverse-reality.com WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2003, 05:22:20 PM »

Quote from: John R on January 22, 2003, 02:55:16 PMThe proceeding statement is totally incorrect.  Basically, everything in life is restrictive in one way or another.  We are governed by restrictive laws, etc. BUT for creative endevors you are only restricted by the limits of your imagination.

Please allow me to expound upon your statement... for creative endeavors you are only restricted by the limits of your imagination, the time you have available, and the skills required to modify the tool you have chosen to your needs.

If I had the time, patience, and necessary PHP skills (the last of which is debatable, but the first two certainly not) I could take simple threaded forum script and turn it into a full-featured store front. The question is, why would I want to do that when other, more suitable applications exist, or when I could design one from scratch and go through less hassle.

Anyway, all else aside, I offer a challenge. I have picked a random website from the net that I feel offers a fine variety in design and interface within its bounds, and is yet well designed, stylish, and easy to navigate:

http://www.metmuseum.org/

You may disagree regarding my above statements about the site, but I'm not offering a review: the challenge is to develop a site (in theory, not in practice!) that is similar in visual, structural, and navigational style to the above website.

Again, I'm not asking you to develop the site. I'm asking if you COULD develop the above site with your preferred portal software without modifying the actual code more than your average mod-writer would.

I will also respond to the statement about YaBB SE: Yes, it is restrictive. It restricts its user into using the tried and tested interface that all modern forums use. It can be modified, but it cannot reasonably be modified to become something other than a forum, and neither should it. A forum package can be restrictive. So can a portal. They both serve their purpose.

A 'True CMS' as I define in "What makes a good portal" (which I suspect none of you have read, or I imagine you wouldn't be still arguing with me over my opinion) must be extremely open-ended and non-restrictive, while remaining accessible to the common user with little coding knowledge.

PS: If you feel you can design a site like the above with your preferred portal, then I suggest writing a tutorial, because there are a whole lot of people who would be interested in that information!

Imparting great wisdom daily to those who will mistake my words as such.
mephisto_kur

Hi ho.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2003, 07:41:38 PM »

As pretty as it is, its still a very basic website.  Why not pick a more challenging one, say, that makes heavy use of CSS or more than basic Java scripting?  Looking at the page, I see how YaPP could do it, even without too much heavy php coding.

Afterall, the entire site is intermediate HTML.  Even the individual exhibit pages would not be too difficult using a mod that already exists - Mad Moya's multiple template mod could be adapted quite easily, as it allows you to choose a template for each action....

Pick a hard one.

Googoo Fleegoogeegoo
Goo Fleegoogeegoo
Duht, Deeheeh
Oogoogoog Dtee
Oogoogagoo oogoogweee
Fleegoogeegoo, fleegow
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

ICQ - 179721867unknownbrackets@hotmail.com WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2003, 07:45:45 PM »

Quote from: mephisto_kur on January 22, 2003, 07:41:38 PMAs pretty as it is, its still a very basic website.  Why not pick a more challenging one, say, that makes heavy use of CSS or more than basic Java scripting?  Looking at the page, I see how YaPP could do it, even without too much heavy php coding.

I hope you understand the css only allows you to change very little, simple things.  Like trying to change a painting with by licking your finger.

What YaBB SE and YaPP could both use is templateS.  And Trinity (SE 2.0) will have them.

-[Unknown]
mephisto_kur

Hi ho.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2003, 07:50:14 PM »

Yapp Already has them.  His criteria was:

QuoteI'm asking if you COULD develop the above site with your preferred portal software without modifying the actual code more than your average mod-writer would.

Find out how to do multiple templates here.

Googoo Fleegoogeegoo
Goo Fleegoogeegoo
Duht, Deeheeh
Oogoogoog Dtee
Oogoogagoo oogoogweee
Fleegoogeegoo, fleegow
mephisto_kur

Hi ho.

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2003, 07:52:51 PM »

And CSS can be used to control *everything* that affects appearance of a site.

Resources:
Glish
Westciv
Evolt.

If you read those,you can see how almost TOTAL the control CSS has over your pages.  YaPP and YaBBSE both barely touch anything CSS.

Googoo Fleegoogeegoo
Goo Fleegoogeegoo
Duht, Deeheeh
Oogoogoog Dtee
Oogoogagoo oogoogweee
Fleegoogeegoo, fleegow
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2003, 07:57:54 PM »

Alright... you misunderstand.

Templates means a template for everything.  Go look at vBulletin or Invision.  I don't mean user selectable templates.

Do you think that CSS can be used to change THE LAYOUT OF A SITE?  If so, you have been monumentously fooled by CSS lovers.  Sorry, but you can't.

It is impossible to make an image out of nothing with CSS.  It is impossible to add smilies with CSS.

If you can add smilies with CSS.... you will have broken the lwas of web browsing.

-[Unknown]
mephisto_kur

Hi ho.

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2003, 08:04:52 PM »

What does that have to do with his example above?  And what does any of that have to do with appearence?  As I said:
QuoteAnd CSS can be used to control *everything* that affects appearance of a site.

Bold added.  Appearance means just that.  HOW THINGS LOOK.  What you define with CSS is the bahvior of HTML, you still need basic knowledge of HTML to do layout, but CSS takes over from there.

I still don't understand what you aren't getting about using multiple templates...  You do understand that you can set a different template for just about any action on your board, right?  Whether user selected or admin selected?

Googoo Fleegoogeegoo
Goo Fleegoogeegoo
Duht, Deeheeh
Oogoogoog Dtee
Oogoogagoo oogoogweee
Fleegoogeegoo, fleegow
Jedi~
Eric
Beta Tester
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2003, 08:12:42 PM »

Quote from: Mad Moya on January 21, 2003, 11:30:59 PMEric, after you've seen us talking about this for over a week, NOW you say you don't want others to continue developing it?

One simple question... why? :)

I've got a couple reasons, of which I'll explain to you in private. As for why I waited, I hadn't really made up my mind, and I didn't want to say I didn't want anyone doing it without a good reason (which I now have.)
Michele
Beta Tester
YaBB God

I can't wait for YaBB SE 2!

Mad+Moya WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2003, 08:15:37 PM »

Ok Eric... I'll wait for your PM... just hurry a bit because I already got v.6.1 working with v1.5.1 and am about to add my FAQ module to it. :)

formerly Mad Moya
PfaBB - http://pfabb.lunabyte.com
[Unknown]
Global Moderator
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2003, 08:18:24 PM »

Quote from: [Unknown] on January 22, 2003, 07:45:45 PMI hope you understand the css only allows you to change very little, simple things.  Like trying to change a painting with by licking your finger.

What YaBB SE and YaPP could both use is templateS.  And Trinity (SE 2.0) will have them.

-[Unknown]

I suggest you reread my post as well.  As taken in context (that is, as a response to mine) your reply indicates that you feel that changing the CSS can indeed change more than skin deep appearance.

Also you obviously don't understand what I mean by templates.  In SE 2.0, you will be able to list boards horizontally if you want.

If you still don't understand, take a look at vBulletin or Invision's template systems.  While these are underdeveloped and not well documented (to my resources, at least) theyb are a step farther than either YaPP or YaBB SE have gone (in 1.x...).

When I say template, I mean a layout for the data not junk around the data.  Nor do I mean different junk around different actions.

-[Unknown]
mephisto_kur

Hi ho.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2003, 08:34:01 PM »

First, I'll point out that what was asked for was the ability to recreate the looks of the site above using my favorite portal.  I know it could be done with the abilities of an average modder - admittedly with lots of time to mess with it.

You are talking about something entirely different from what he was talking about.  I still believe it is within the realm of an average modder.  Look at BoardIndex.php.  All that file is is one giant template.  There is no reason why you wouldn't be able to go in there, slice it up and have php code point at different templates for different fucntions - your kind of templates, not mine.  BoardIndex.php and Display.php and all of the other files that display anything are showing the user *just html.*  Funny thing is, there are many calls to the CSS of the template (My kind, not yours) in these files.

Googoo Fleegoogeegoo
Goo Fleegoogeegoo
Duht, Deeheeh
Oogoogoog Dtee
Oogoogagoo oogoogweee
Fleegoogeegoo, fleegow
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Portal Discussion  |  First post!!! « previous - next »