Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
April 19, 2024, 09:30:13 AM
Home Help Search Log in Register
News: SMF is the next generation in forum software, almost completely re-written from the ground up, make sure you don't fall for cheap imitations that suffer from feature bloat!

YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Graphics and Templates  |  Next Generation YaBB Smileys « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Reply Ignore Print
Author Topic: Next Generation YaBB Smileys  (Read 30733 times)
alienine
Forum Screwball
YaBB God

*GRIN*

Re:Next Generation YaBB Smileys
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2003, 09:13:34 AM »

There they are:

Blue Versions:

Visit http://www.soliphion.com/members/alienine/NGYabbSmilies/ for all of them in directories and a ZIP file containing large, small, blue and yellow NextGen YaBB SE Smilies!

[/url]
alienine
Forum Screwball
YaBB God

*GRIN*

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2003, 09:14:42 AM »

There they are (DA BIG ONES):

Blue Versions:

Visit http://www.soliphion.com/members/alienine/NGYabbSmilies/ for all of them in directories and a ZIP file containing large, small, blue and yellow NextGen YaBB SE Smilies!

[/url]
Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2003, 01:43:34 PM »

Is this the thin border Alienine?

andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2003, 02:07:21 PM »

Is it possible to improve the smoothness of the border? I will also make some tests with the borders.

andrea
Global Moderator
YaBB God

Peace on Earth

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2003, 04:46:56 PM »

Ok here some suggestion for your smiley set:

Your original smiley:

I refined the border of your smiley, the face I did not change:

A finer border does improve the smiley face a lot, the impression of the whole face comes more into being when the border is finer.  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 05:19:22 PM by andrea » Logged

Jeff Lewis
Global Moderator
YaBB God

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2003, 01:41:58 AM »

So far I really like them. A really good smiley set really helps a forum or other software package :)

Peter Duggan
Llama Chameleon
Global Moderator
YaBB God

You come and go...

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2003, 02:02:46 AM »

The big smilies are really smart 8), but the increased line-spacing so often caused by the use of smilies within text blocks has always bothered me. The small set are a handier size from that point of view, but they're not as expressive. :-\

Hope I'm not being too rude to Andrea if I add that her version of the big yellow smiley looks almost diamond-shaped rather than round to me, and I prefer the original!

alienine
Forum Screwball
YaBB God

*GRIN*

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2003, 05:01:49 AM »

Yes these are the thin border ones. It's just that because you don't have the contrat of the new ones and the old ones you can get a bit confused... since the difference is subtle... unfortunatelly its impossible to give them a perfectly smooth border..

I like andrea's idea, but for me personally they just don't look right antialiased with a rough border..

I cannot make the borders more subtle without them turning a darker shade of yellow... which causes problems on dark backgrounds...

Now I'm gonna test something..

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit . Maecenas nibh velit, mollis at, lacinia in, posuere vel, justo. Nam convallis dolor nec elit. Mauris auctor lacus in ipsum. Maecenas posuere nunc quis tellus. Sed nec magna at sem ultricies varius. In laoreet commodo sem. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Fusce tincidunt interdum odio. Aenean vel pede ut sapien suscipit fringilla. Nullam diam est, condimentum eu, fermentum sed, posuere a, nunc. Aenean nunc sapien, tincidunt eget, tristique non, aliquet vitae, augue. Vivamus ac erat ut leo aliquam vehicula. Nulla gravida. Praesent libero magna, ullamcorper a, fermentum id, porta eget, turpis. Donec sodales, erat a interdum interdum, magna ante porttitor quam, eget scelerisque mi dolor a elit.

[/url]
alienine
Forum Screwball
YaBB God

*GRIN*

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2003, 05:11:56 AM »

The thing is that smilies aren't usually use like that... in real posts.. they are usually short paragraphs and smilies at the end... which really minimizes the whole problem of line spacing and the fact is you concentrate more on the content not the smilies... Invision board by default has the same sized smilies (20x20) and uses smaller size text by defualt then YaBB and no one complains! It's a matter of getting used to, I know of a board that lists threads in a post backwards.. and the members dont want it any other way... because they got used to it..

Also about the whole border issue... when I do release the originals, anyone with a copy of Fireworks MX can make their own smilies, choosing what kind of a border they will have.. ie the kind that is suitable to their board's background...

[/url]
Legacy
Noobie

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2004, 12:38:38 AM »

Quote from: alienine on January 17, 2003, 09:13:34 AM
There they are:

Blue Versions:

the normal ones are awesome good job
Pages: 1 2 [3] Reply Ignore Print 
YaBB SE Community  |  Development  |  Graphics and Templates  |  Next Generation YaBB Smileys « previous - next »